Re: All chat links are failing

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2011
      In my area we're going with two chat applications. One is CHAT that gets us the statewide chat system, then we will use CHATWW to connect to one of the hubs (N1RCW in my case). This seems to work out from my limited testing so far:

      APPLICATION 1,CHAT,,WA4ZKO-13,CHTNKY,240
      APPLICATION 2,CHATWW,C RCWCHT

      Obviously you have to have a route to the node you use (RCWCHT in my case).

      That said, I think the hub approach is just a bandaid on the current scalability problem. Each "hub" will have to have an AXIP (or RF) link to each remote system that it services in addition to other hubs. That will work for awhile, but as growth continues...more and more hubs will be needed as the shear number of AXIP links will start to get out of hand for just a few hubs to handle. In time we may just wind up with a big pile of hubs and the same problems ;-)

      I think the ultimate fix is to redo the chat server (I know John is loving me now, grin) and move on. I to where it can link using both RF and TCP via FQDN and customizable port #'s versus having to have all these AXIP links just so chat can link up. Then a few "hubs" could handle a lot more growth as we go forward.

      Maybe a way to program your chat server to offer "local" links like it does now and the ability to connect into a IRC channel or similar for "wide area" chat.

      We would realize that the internet dependent chat links may not be suitable for EMCOMM, but fine for normal day to day stuff.

      Just my two cents.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO