Re: [BPQ32] SETUP MARS USERS IN BPQBBS

  • Dave Webb
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2011
      I just got this reply on this topic from our national digital manager.
      Dave AFA2HV/WB2HVF

      Army has a rule about that, which it applied when it ran legacy BBS.  Rule drops one of the Army letters.  Well, not a good choice which one.  What makes sence and is always able to be replaced to make for the 7th position would be to drop the first letter "A".  This would abort the confusion Army was causing in dropping a diifferent letter, by which there were some ID's of two different stations that would show the same ID, on its 6-letter rule of dropping a letter other than the first letter.
         As for Navy-Marine, their rule is to drop the first letter "N".  That solves that one very easily.
         Obviously there's a problem in addressing mail for an Army or Navy WL2K station... repeat STATION...by call sign, if that station is a registered WL2K user, and the mail is addressed that way.
      Tom Laffin
      National Data Manager AFN1DM
      National ALE <Manager AFN1LE

      NNNNN
      Alternate email address:  afa1bu@...

      On 1/27/2011 3:01 PM, foltsn@... wrote:

      The MARS side of WL2K allows 7 character MARS callsigns.
      BPQBBS USERS setup only allows 6 character calls. Has any MARS SYSOP
      a solution to this problem??
      Norm AFA4QM/WB9BJU