Requesting Setup Help

  • kd7hhw
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
      I am new to the group and to BPQ. I am trying to get my KPC3+ working with BPQ and it seems everywhere I turn I run into roadblocks. So, I need to turn to others that have more experience with BPQ.

      Let me explain my setup:
      KPC3+ on a standard serial port COM1 (non-USB)
      Trying to get BPQ to accept connections from multiple packet nodes that will be sending mail.

      I have tried several of the examples. They seem to start, but I don't ever get BPQ to recognize any packets from the TNC or transmit. I have reviewed the documentation to no avail.

      I am looking for help on how to get BPQ talking to my TNC.

      Long Story:
      We have a race that we support with packet. Last year, we used the PBBS in a KPC3+. One problem discovered was with the PBBS. If a node was connected to the TNC and sending mail, we could connect via the serial port and still pull down the incomplete message. The next time we connected to pull down more mail, we would get the full message -- part of the information being duplicate due to the prior receive. I wish the KPC3+ would not show the message as being available until either a disconnect or the completion of the message.

      I was hoping that BPQMailChat could help in this area where we wouldn't have to connect to the PBBS on the TNC. The computer would then act as the PBBS.

      There seems to be a steep learning curve with BPQ. I am use to working with programs like AGWPE, OutpostPM, or even PUTTY/Terminal. I can get BPQ to respond to local connections (like using BPQTerminal).

      If I am going down the wrong road in using BPQ, let me know your suggestion. Ideally, we would like to input information into a MySQL database where we could then have a web front-end. First step is to get BPQ working and then worry about getting it into MySQL.

      73,
      Matt
      KD7HHW
    • Bill Erhardt
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
        Hi Matt,

        Bill Erhardt K7MT Helena, Mt.  I had a similar problem with my KPC3  not the plus.  I have my configuration set up for KISS mode.  Once I set the KPC3 to KISS and Software to CD ( I am using DCD on my Kantronics DVR 2-2) wow the whole world opened up.

        Bill K7MT

      • Ken Jacobs

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
            Thanks Ken and Bill for the reply. I am not sure how to set my KPC-3 in KISS mode. I saw a reference to use KISS ON but that is not an option for me. I even changed to INT KISS and could not find it there.

            As for the bpq32.ini, when I get a change, I will send it to you.

            73,
            Matt
            KD7HHW

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ken Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

            > Hi Matt,
            >
            > First question.....is the KPC-3 in KISS mode? The TNC must be in KISS mode
            > for BPQ to talk to it. You can also email you bpq32.cfg file to me direct
            > and I can take a look at it to see if anything sticks out.
            >
            > Ken
            >
            > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM, kd7hhw <kd7hhw@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I am new to the group and to BPQ. I am trying to get my KPC3+ working with
            > > BPQ and it seems everywhere I turn I run into roadblocks. So, I need to turn
            > > to others that have more experience with BPQ.
            > >
            > > Let me explain my setup:
            > > KPC3+ on a standard serial port COM1 (non-USB)
            > > Trying to get BPQ to accept connections from multiple packet nodes that
            > > will be sending mail.
            > >
            > > I have tried several of the examples. They seem to start, but I don't ever
            > > get BPQ to recognize any packets from the TNC or transmit. I have reviewed
            > > the documentation to no avail.
            > >
            > > I am looking for help on how to get BPQ talking to my TNC.
            > >
            > > Long Story:
            > > We have a race that we support with packet. Last year, we used the PBBS in
            > > a KPC3+. One problem discovered was with the PBBS. If a node was connected
            > > to the TNC and sending mail, we could connect via the serial port and still
            > > pull down the incomplete message. The next time we connected to pull down
            > > more mail, we would get the full message -- part of the information being
            > > duplicate due to the prior receive. I wish the KPC3+ would not show the
            > > message as being available until either a disconnect or the completion of
            > > the message.
            > >
            > > I was hoping that BPQMailChat could help in this area where we wouldn't
            > > have to connect to the PBBS on the TNC. The computer would then act as the
            > > PBBS.
            > >
            > > There seems to be a steep learning curve with BPQ. I am use to working with
            > > programs like AGWPE, OutpostPM, or even PUTTY/Terminal. I can get BPQ to
            > > respond to local connections (like using BPQTerminal).
            > >
            > > If I am going down the wrong road in using BPQ, let me know your
            > > suggestion. Ideally, we would like to input information into a MySQL
            > > database where we could then have a web front-end. First step is to get BPQ
            > > working and then worry about getting it into MySQL.
            > >
            > > 73,
            > > Matt
            > > KD7HHW

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011

              Ho Matt

              From the command line type INT KISS

              Enter then RESET or power cycle the tnc and then start BPQ32…

              Your BPQ32 also needs to be setup correctly so that it talks to the TNC…

              Your BPQ file should be called BPQ32.CFG

              73 jerry

              Thanks Ken and Bill for the reply. I am not sure how to set my KPC-3 in KISS mode. I saw a reference to use KISS ON but that is not an option for me. I even changed to INT KISS and could not find it there.

              As for the bpq32.ini, when I get a change, I will send it to you.

              73,
              Matt
              KD7HHW

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ken Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

              > Hi Matt,
              >
              > First question.....is the KPC-3 in KISS mode? The TNC must be in KISS mode
              > for BPQ to talk to it. You can also email you bpq32.cfg file to me direct
              > and I can take a look at it to see if anything sticks out.
              >
              > Ken
              >
              > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM, kd7hhw <kd7hhw@...> wrote:
              >

              > > I am new to the group and to BPQ. I am trying to get my KPC3+ working with
              > > BPQ and it seems everywhere I turn I run into roadblocks. So, I need to turn
              > > to others that have more experience with BPQ.
              > >
              > > Let me explain my setup:
              > > KPC3+ on a standard serial port COM1 (non-USB)
              > > Trying to get BPQ to accept connections from multiple packet nodes that
              > > will be sending mail.
              > >
              > > I have tried several of the examples. They seem to start, but I don't ever
              > > get BPQ to recognize any packets from the TNC or transmit. I have reviewed
              > > the documentation to no avail.
              > >
              > > I am looking for help on how to get BPQ talking to my TNC.
              > >
              > > Long Story:
              > > We have a race that we support with packet. Last year, we used the PBBS in
              > > a KPC3+. One problem discovered was with the PBBS. If a node was connected
              > > to the TNC and sending mail, we could connect via the serial port and still
              > > pull down the incomplete message. The next time we connected to pull down
              > > more mail, we would get the full message -- part of the information being
              > > duplicate due to the prior receive. I wish the KPC3+ would not show the
              > > message as being available until either a disconnect or the completion of
              > > the message.
              > >
              > > I was hoping that BPQMailChat could help in this area where we wouldn't
              > > have to connect to the PBBS on the TNC. The computer would then act as the
              > > PBBS.
              > >
              > > There seems to be a steep learning curve with BPQ. I am use to working with
              > > programs like AGWPE, OutpostPM, or even PUTTY/Terminal. I can get BPQ to
              > > respond to local connections (like using BPQTerminal).
              > >
              > > If I am going down the wrong road in using BPQ, let me know your
              > > suggestion. Ideally, we would like to input information into a MySQL
              > > database where we could then have a web front-end. First step is to get BPQ
              > > working and then worry about getting it into MySQL.
              > >
              > > 73,
              > > Matt
              > > KD7HHW

            • James Wagner
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
                Matt -

                You need to set the KPC3 serial port baud rate, parity, etc, BEFORE turning KISS on. It has to match what BPQ expects. Once in KISS mode, you have no access to the command mode and cannot change those things.

                Jim Wagner
                KA7EHK

                Thanks Ken and Bill for the reply. I am not sure how to set my KPC-3 in KISS mode. I saw a reference to use KISS ON but that is not an option for me. I even changed to INT KISS and could not find it there.

                As for the bpq32.ini, when I get a change, I will send it to you.

                73,
                Matt
                KD7HHW

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ken Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

                > Hi Matt,
                >
                > First question.....is the KPC-3 in KISS mode? The TNC must be in KISS mode
                > for BPQ to talk to it. You can also email you bpq32.cfg file to me direct
                > and I can take a look at it to see if anything sticks out.
                >
                > Ken
                >
                > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM, kd7hhw <kd7hhw@...> wrote:
                >

                > > I am new to the group and to BPQ. I am trying to get my KPC3+ working with
                > > BPQ and it seems everywhere I turn I run into roadblocks. So, I need to turn
                > > to others that have more experience with BPQ.
                > >
                > > Let me explain my setup:
                > > KPC3+ on a standard serial port COM1 (non-USB)
                > > Trying to get BPQ to accept connections from multiple packet nodes that
                > > will be sending mail.
                > >
                > > I have tried several of the examples. They seem to start, but I don't ever
                > > get BPQ to recognize any packets from the TNC or transmit. I have reviewed
                > > the documentation to no avail.
                > >
                > > I am looking for help on how to get BPQ talking to my TNC.
                > >
                > > Long Story:
                > > We have a race that we support with packet. Last year, we used the PBBS in
                > > a KPC3+. One problem discovered was with the PBBS. If a node was connected
                > > to the TNC and sending mail, we could connect via the serial port and still
                > > pull down the incomplete message. The next time we connected to pull down
                > > more mail, we would get the full message -- part of the information being
                > > duplicate due to the prior receive. I wish the KPC3+ would not show the
                > > message as being available until either a disconnect or the completion of
                > > the message.
                > >
                > > I was hoping that BPQMailChat could help in this area where we wouldn't
                > > have to connect to the PBBS on the TNC. The computer would then act as the
                > > PBBS.
                > >
                > > There seems to be a steep learning curve with BPQ. I am use to working with
                > > programs like AGWPE, OutpostPM, or even PUTTY/Terminal. I can get BPQ to
                > > respond to local connections (like using BPQTerminal).
                > >
                > > If I am going down the wrong road in using BPQ, let me know your
                > > suggestion. Ideally, we would like to input information into a MySQL
                > > database where we could then have a web front-end. First step is to get BPQ
                > > working and then worry about getting it into MySQL.
                > >
                > > 73,
                > > Matt
                > > KD7HHW

              • Jerry
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011

                  I forgot that part

                  For TNC to PC comms

                  You want 9600 baud 8 n 1

                  73 Jerry

> [...]

                  > > duplicate due to the prior receive. I wish the KPC3+ would not show the
                  > > message as being available until either a disconnect or the completion of
                  > > the message.
                  > >
                  > > I was hoping that BPQMailChat could help in this area where we wouldn't
                  > > have to connect to the PBBS on the TNC. The computer would then act as the
                  > > PBBS.
                  > >
                  > > There seems to be a steep learning curve with BPQ. I am use to working with
                  > > programs like AGWPE, OutpostPM, or even PUTTY/Terminal. I can get BPQ to
                  > > respond to local connections (like using BPQTerminal).
                  > >
                  > > If I am going down the wrong road in using BPQ, let me know your
                  > > suggestion. Ideally, we would like to input information into a MySQL
                  > > database where we could then have a web front-end. First step is to get BPQ
                  > > working and then worry about getting it into MySQL.

                • kd7hhw
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
                    Having put my TNC into KISS mode, I can now transmit but it doesn't seem to want to reply to anything. My other TNC acks the connection but BPQ doesn't want to act on the ack.

                    Any suggestions?