Re: BPQ Documentation

  • abertheaume
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
      Hi Dave,
      I haven't tried Johns DLL but I do remember seeing a post about
      monitoring the UI's. John was going to look into it once the sea
      turns ugly. I did a little more back tracking and am curious if
      you tried using BPQ TERMINAL for monitoring he mentioned in post
      #478?

      Here I am using a 16 bit version of FBB with AGW. I do the
      monitoring via AGW Terminal and am using BPQ32 for the networking
      aspect of things.. Just for the record, I see no excessive taxing of
      the CPU at all using this combo and I am running several other apps
      along with it, all on a P3 500MHz processor running OS W98SE. And
      since it is a 24/7 operation, putting into kiss is just a one time
      affair unless there is a power loss or something.
      N9ZZK
      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "David Calder" <n4zkf@...> wrote:

      > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is
      going on with the frequencies
      > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
      combination below.

      > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
      >
      > 73 Dave
      > n4zkf

    • abertheaume
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
        Hi Mike,
        I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
        BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
        saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
        restart it for the changes to be effective..

        N9ZZK

        wrote:

        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
        running
        > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
        connectivity
        > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
        > >
        > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
        little
        > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
        > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
        > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
        > problems.
        > >
        > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
        running of
        > > a BPQ node?
        > >
        > > Any help would be appreciated.
        > >Mike VE3uil
        > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
        BPQCFG.TXT
        > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running
        >
        > Mike/N9PMO

      • Mark Harloff
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
          Not true. John released an uprev'd dll that fixed that.
          - Mark K2CAN

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
            Depending on the type of tnc, simply replacing the eprom with a 'jkiss'
            one will eliminate the 'in/out' problem(s).
            - Mark K2CAN

            MIchael Melnik Sr. wrote:

            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
            > Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
            > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
            > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
            > >
            > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
            > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
            > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
            > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
            > problems.
            > >
            > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
            > > a BPQ node?
            > >
            > > Any help would be appreciated.
            > >Mike, VE3uil
            > As Ron mentioned,i would down load BPQ32U 4.09BETA 08May2006
            > this is a self installing BPQ, if you have allrerady edited a
            > bpqcfg.txt this program will give you several options, one is
            > to use your old cfg.txt, for what it worth the little extra
            > time it takes to edit the BPGCFG.TXT i would create a new one.
            > The problem with the earlier BPQ is you have to move the
            > the bpq32.dll to windows\system32 folder and edit the registry for
            > the path of bpq.
            >
            > I have tried Ron's BPQ32UBETA with WINFBB 7.01A and AGWPE on a
            > old Packard Bell 233 Mhz Processor only 48Meg of memeory on
            > windows 98SE with NO UPDATES using RF\TELNET\AXIP for more then 48
            > hours WITHOUT any Problems, they all worked great..
            >
            > The version of FBB you are using is a 16 bit, (Hard on the Processor)
            > remember you will have to force your TNC into Kiss BPQ will NOT do
            > it for you, this is one reason i use AGWPE it will take your TNC
            > in and out of Kiss for you.. Give the new Version a try.
            >
            > Mike/N9PMO

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
              The new DLL works fine Art.
              Also, the latest BPQ Terminal will montior All (BPQ32) ports fine.
              - Mark K2CAN

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                The AXIP config can be changed on the fly (with BPQ32 running). A
                command (EXTRESTART [AXIP Port #]) is all that is needed for the changes
                to take effect.
                Unless I missed something (and I may very well have) changing the 'main
                config' (bpqcfg.txt) must be followed by running bpqcfg.exe and then
                restarting the node. I take ANY applications associated with BPQ32 down
                First (ie: WinFBB32, AR-Cluster, etc.). That sequence seems to work fine.

                - Mark K2CAN

                abertheaume wrote:

                > Hi Mike,
                > I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                > BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                > saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                > restart it for the changes to be effective..
                >
                > N9ZZK
                >
                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "MIchael
                > Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
                > Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
                > running
                > > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
                > connectivity
                > > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                > > >
                > > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
                > little
                > > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                > > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                > > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                > > problems.
                > > >
                > > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
                > running of
                > > > a BPQ node?
                > > >
                > > > Any help would be appreciated.
                > > >Mike VE3uil
                > > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                > BPQCFG.TXT
                > > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running
                > >
                > > Mike/N9PMO

              • abertheaume
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                  This is a good piece of information to know! Thx Mark!
                  N9ZZK

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

                  > The AXIP config can be changed on the fly (with BPQ32 running). A
                  > command (EXTRESTART [AXIP Port #]) is all that is needed for the
                  changes
                  > to take effect.
                  > Unless I missed something (and I may very well have) changing
                  the 'main
                  > config' (bpqcfg.txt) must be followed by running bpqcfg.exe and
                  then
                  > restarting the node. I take ANY applications associated with BPQ32
                  down
                  > First (ie: WinFBB32, AR-Cluster, etc.). That sequence seems to
                  work fine.

                  > - Mark K2CAN
                  >

                  > abertheaume wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hi Mike,
                  > > I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                  > > BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                  > > saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                  > > restart it for the changes to be effective..
                  > >
                  > > N9ZZK
                  > >
                  > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%
                  40yahoogroups.com>, "MIchael
                  > > Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%
                  40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike

                  > > running
                  > > connectivity

                  > > little
                  > > > problems.

                  > > running of

                  > > > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                  > > BPQCFG.TXT
                  > > > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ
                  Running

                  > > > Mike/N9PMO

                  10/10/2006

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                    Hi Folks,

                    I thing there may be some confusion here. Message 451 and 478 refer to running 16 bit, and the old 32 bit versions of FBB using a modified DEDHOST interface. There still is a problem with monitoring in FBB with this setup. There was also a problem of monitoring with the 32 bit version 7.01.35. This is fixed with the replacement bpq.dll that I released. I hope to have a solution to the DEDHOST problem soon.

                    Regards,

                    abertheaume wrote:

                    > Hi Dave,
                    > I haven't tried Johns DLL but I do remember seeing a post about
                    > monitoring the UI's. John was going to look into it once the sea
                    > turns ugly. I did a little more back tracking and am curious if
                    > you tried using BPQ TERMINAL for monitoring he mentioned in post
                    > #478?
                    >
                    > Here I am using a 16 bit version of FBB with AGW. I do the
                    > monitoring via AGW Terminal and am using BPQ32 for the networking
                    > aspect of things.. Just for the record, I see no excessive taxing of
                    > the CPU at all using this combo and I am running several other apps
                    > along with it, all on a P3 500MHz processor running OS W98SE. And
                    > since it is a 24/7 operation, putting into kiss is just a one time
                    > affair unless there is a power loss or something.
                    > N9ZZK
                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com <mailto:BPQ32% 40yahoogroups. com>, "David
                    > Calder" <n4zkf@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is
                    > going on with the frequencies
                    > > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
                    > combination below.
                    > >
                    > > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
                    > >
                    > > 73 Dave
                    > > n4zkf

                  • David Calder
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                      Well John and I worked on it together and couldn't get it to work. What's your secret. I would
                      love to go to 32 bit versions of all but I don't want  a half dozen windows open to do the same thing
                      1 window in the 16 bit version will do.

                      Dave
                      n4zkf

                      David Calder wrote:

                      > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is going
                      > on with the frequencies
                      > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
                      > combination below.
                      >
                      > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
                      >
                      > 73 Dave
                      > n4zkf

                    • abertheaume
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                        Hi John and thank you for the clarification on this.
                        You back at port now?
                        I did fire up the BPQ Terminal.exe program and it does exactly
                        what I have been using AGW Term for. One thing I like with AGW Term
                        is the ability to toggle monitoring on or off on the types of
                        frames, ie:supervisory, unproto,my transmit. I know you have alot
                        on your plate but perhaps this could be something implemented in a
                        future release.
                        And always, thank you for the great product at an exceptional
                        price!
                        73
                        Art, N9ZZK
                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi Folks,
                        >
                        > I thing there may be some confusion here. Message 451 and 478
                        refer to
                        > running 16 bit, and the old 32 bit versions of FBB using a
                        modified DEDHOST
                        > interface. There still is a problem with monitoring in FBB with
                        this setup.
                        > There was also a problem of monitoring with the 32 bit version
                        7.01.35. This
                        > is fixed with the replacement bpq.dll that I released. I hope to
                        have a
                        > solution to the DEDHOST problem soon.
                        >
                        > Regards,

                        Behalf Of Mark

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                          Hi Folks,

                          I've just uploaded an updated bpqded.zip. This contains a replacement BPQDED32.DLL, which fixes the monitor problems when running the older versions of FBB (16 bit and the 7.00 version if 32bit) with BPQ32 using my emulation of TFWIN.DLL and TFWIN32.DLL.

                          Regards,

                          John

                        • David Calder
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                            Great! Thanks John as usual! Great job and we do appreciate the support.

                            This will work with BPQ-DRSI and FBB?

                            73 Dave
                            n4zkf

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                              Hi Dave,

                              What do you mean by BPQ-DRSI? Is this the 16bit (DOS) BPQCODE?

                              If so, then no, this is for WInFBB, 16bit or early 32bit with BPQ32.

                              You should be able to run the original DOS FBB using the BPQ1632 system.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                                Welcome back to port John,
                                Thank you for your prompt attention on the BPQDED. Just so you know
                                your effort wasn't in vain, I did download and went thru the set up
                                rather quickly on my working machine here at the QTH. My first (again
                                rather rushed) attempt at it was not successful. I am pressed for time
                                today but will retrieve my "test bed" computer this week end and try
                                again. Thx again John,
                                73
                                Art, N9ZZK