Re: BPQ Documentation

  • MIchael Melnik Sr.
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:

      > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
      > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
      > the network we have by adding BPQ.
      >
      > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
      > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
      > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
      > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
      problems.

      > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
      > a BPQ node?
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >Mike, VE3uil
      As Ron mentioned,i would down load BPQ32U 4.09BETA 08May2006
      this is a self installing BPQ, if you have allrerady edited a
      bpqcfg.txt this program will give you several options, one is
      to use your old cfg.txt, for what it worth the little extra
      time it takes to edit the BPGCFG.TXT i would create a new one.
      The problem with the earlier BPQ is you have to move the
      the bpq32.dll to windows\system32 folder and edit the registry for
      the path of bpq.

      I have tried Ron's BPQ32UBETA with WINFBB 7.01A and AGWPE on a
      old Packard Bell 233 Mhz Processor only 48Meg of memeory on
      windows 98SE with NO UPDATES using RF\TELNET\AXIP for more then 48
      hours WITHOUT any Problems, they all worked great..

      The version of FBB you are using is a 16 bit, (Hard on the Processor)
      remember you will have to force your TNC into Kiss BPQ will NOT do
      it for you, this is one reason i use AGWPE it will take your TNC
      in and out of Kiss for you.. Give the new Version a try.

      Mike/N9PMO
    • MIchael Melnik Sr.
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:

        > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
        > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
        > the network we have by adding BPQ.
        >
        > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
        > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
        > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
        > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
        problems.

        > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
        > a BPQ node?
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >Mike VE3uil
        One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the BPQCFG.TXT
        or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running

        Mike/N9PMO
      • abertheaume
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
          Hi Dave,
          I haven't tried Johns DLL but I do remember seeing a post about
          monitoring the UI's. John was going to look into it once the sea
          turns ugly. I did a little more back tracking and am curious if
          you tried using BPQ TERMINAL for monitoring he mentioned in post
          #478?

          Here I am using a 16 bit version of FBB with AGW. I do the
          monitoring via AGW Terminal and am using BPQ32 for the networking
          aspect of things.. Just for the record, I see no excessive taxing of
          the CPU at all using this combo and I am running several other apps
          along with it, all on a P3 500MHz processor running OS W98SE. And
          since it is a 24/7 operation, putting into kiss is just a one time
          affair unless there is a power loss or something.
          N9ZZK

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
            Hi Mike,
            I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
            BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
            saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
            restart it for the changes to be effective..

            N9ZZK

            wrote:

            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
            running
            > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
            connectivity
            > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
            > >
            > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
            little
            > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
            > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
            > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
            > problems.
            > >
            > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
            running of
            > > a BPQ node?
            > >
            > > Any help would be appreciated.
            > >Mike VE3uil
            > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
            BPQCFG.TXT
            > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running
            >
            > Mike/N9PMO

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
              Not true. John released an uprev'd dll that fixed that.
              - Mark K2CAN

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                Depending on the type of tnc, simply replacing the eprom with a 'jkiss'
                one will eliminate the 'in/out' problem(s).
                - Mark K2CAN

                MIchael Melnik Sr. wrote:

                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
                > Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
                > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
                > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                > >
                > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
                > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                > problems.
                > >
                > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
                > > a BPQ node?
                > >
                > > Any help would be appreciated.
                > >Mike, VE3uil
                > As Ron mentioned,i would down load BPQ32U 4.09BETA 08May2006
                > this is a self installing BPQ, if you have allrerady edited a
                > bpqcfg.txt this program will give you several options, one is
                > to use your old cfg.txt, for what it worth the little extra
                > time it takes to edit the BPGCFG.TXT i would create a new one.
                > The problem with the earlier BPQ is you have to move the
                > the bpq32.dll to windows\system32 folder and edit the registry for
                > the path of bpq.
                >
                > I have tried Ron's BPQ32UBETA with WINFBB 7.01A and AGWPE on a
                > old Packard Bell 233 Mhz Processor only 48Meg of memeory on
                > windows 98SE with NO UPDATES using RF\TELNET\AXIP for more then 48
                > hours WITHOUT any Problems, they all worked great..
                >
                > The version of FBB you are using is a 16 bit, (Hard on the Processor)
                > remember you will have to force your TNC into Kiss BPQ will NOT do
                > it for you, this is one reason i use AGWPE it will take your TNC
                > in and out of Kiss for you.. Give the new Version a try.
                >
                > Mike/N9PMO

              • Mark Harloff
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                  The new DLL works fine Art.
                  Also, the latest BPQ Terminal will montior All (BPQ32) ports fine.
                  - Mark K2CAN

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                    The AXIP config can be changed on the fly (with BPQ32 running). A
                    command (EXTRESTART [AXIP Port #]) is all that is needed for the changes
                    to take effect.
                    Unless I missed something (and I may very well have) changing the 'main
                    config' (bpqcfg.txt) must be followed by running bpqcfg.exe and then
                    restarting the node. I take ANY applications associated with BPQ32 down
                    First (ie: WinFBB32, AR-Cluster, etc.). That sequence seems to work fine.

                    - Mark K2CAN

                    abertheaume wrote:

                    > Hi Mike,
                    > I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                    > BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                    > saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                    > restart it for the changes to be effective..
                    >
                    > N9ZZK
                    >
                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "MIchael
                    > Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
                    > Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
                    > running
                    > > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
                    > connectivity
                    > > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                    > > >
                    > > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
                    > little
                    > > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                    > > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                    > > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                    > > problems.
                    > > >
                    > > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
                    > running of
                    > > > a BPQ node?
                    > > >
                    > > > Any help would be appreciated.
                    > > >Mike VE3uil
                    > > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                    > BPQCFG.TXT
                    > > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running
                    > >
                    > > Mike/N9PMO

                  • abertheaume
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                      This is a good piece of information to know! Thx Mark!
                      N9ZZK

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

                      > The AXIP config can be changed on the fly (with BPQ32 running). A
                      > command (EXTRESTART [AXIP Port #]) is all that is needed for the
                      changes
                      > to take effect.
                      > Unless I missed something (and I may very well have) changing
                      the 'main
                      > config' (bpqcfg.txt) must be followed by running bpqcfg.exe and
                      then
                      > restarting the node. I take ANY applications associated with BPQ32
                      down
                      > First (ie: WinFBB32, AR-Cluster, etc.). That sequence seems to
                      work fine.

                      > - Mark K2CAN
                      >

                      > abertheaume wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hi Mike,
                      > > I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                      > > BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                      > > saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                      > > restart it for the changes to be effective..
                      > >
                      > > N9ZZK
                      > >
                      > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%
                      40yahoogroups.com>, "MIchael
                      > > Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%
                      40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike

                      > > running
                      > > connectivity

                      > > little
                      > > > problems.

                      > > running of

                      > > > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                      > > BPQCFG.TXT
                      > > > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ
                      Running

                      > > > Mike/N9PMO

                      10/10/2006

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                        Hi Folks,

                        I thing there may be some confusion here. Message 451 and 478 refer to running 16 bit, and the old 32 bit versions of FBB using a modified DEDHOST interface. There still is a problem with monitoring in FBB with this setup. There was also a problem of monitoring with the 32 bit version 7.01.35. This is fixed with the replacement bpq.dll that I released. I hope to have a solution to the DEDHOST problem soon.

                        Regards,

                        abertheaume wrote:

                        > Hi Dave,
                        > I haven't tried Johns DLL but I do remember seeing a post about
                        > monitoring the UI's. John was going to look into it once the sea
                        > turns ugly. I did a little more back tracking and am curious if
                        > you tried using BPQ TERMINAL for monitoring he mentioned in post
                        > #478?
                        >
                        > Here I am using a 16 bit version of FBB with AGW. I do the
                        > monitoring via AGW Terminal and am using BPQ32 for the networking
                        > aspect of things.. Just for the record, I see no excessive taxing of
                        > the CPU at all using this combo and I am running several other apps
                        > along with it, all on a P3 500MHz processor running OS W98SE. And
                        > since it is a 24/7 operation, putting into kiss is just a one time
                        > affair unless there is a power loss or something.
                        > N9ZZK
                        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com <mailto:BPQ32% 40yahoogroups. com>, "David
                        > Calder" <n4zkf@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is
                        > going on with the frequencies
                        > > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
                        > combination below.
                        > >
                        > > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
                        > >
                        > > 73 Dave
                        > > n4zkf

                      • David Calder
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                          Well John and I worked on it together and couldn't get it to work. What's your secret. I would
                          love to go to 32 bit versions of all but I don't want  a half dozen windows open to do the same thing
                          1 window in the 16 bit version will do.

                          Dave
                          n4zkf

                          David Calder wrote:

                          > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is going
                          > on with the frequencies
                          > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
                          > combination below.
                          >
                          > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
                          >
                          > 73 Dave
                          > n4zkf

                        • abertheaume
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                            Hi John and thank you for the clarification on this.
                            You back at port now?
                            I did fire up the BPQ Terminal.exe program and it does exactly
                            what I have been using AGW Term for. One thing I like with AGW Term
                            is the ability to toggle monitoring on or off on the types of
                            frames, ie:supervisory, unproto,my transmit. I know you have alot
                            on your plate but perhaps this could be something implemented in a
                            future release.
                            And always, thank you for the great product at an exceptional
                            price!
                            73
                            Art, N9ZZK
                            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hi Folks,
                            >
                            > I thing there may be some confusion here. Message 451 and 478
                            refer to
                            > running 16 bit, and the old 32 bit versions of FBB using a
                            modified DEDHOST
                            > interface. There still is a problem with monitoring in FBB with
                            this setup.
                            > There was also a problem of monitoring with the 32 bit version
                            7.01.35. This
                            > is fixed with the replacement bpq.dll that I released. I hope to
                            have a
                            > solution to the DEDHOST problem soon.
                            >
                            > Regards,

                            Behalf Of Mark

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                              Hi Folks,

                              I've just uploaded an updated bpqded.zip. This contains a replacement BPQDED32.DLL, which fixes the monitor problems when running the older versions of FBB (16 bit and the 7.00 version if 32bit) with BPQ32 using my emulation of TFWIN.DLL and TFWIN32.DLL.

                              Regards,

                              John

                            • David Calder
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                Great! Thanks John as usual! Great job and we do appreciate the support.

                                This will work with BPQ-DRSI and FBB?

                                73 Dave
                                n4zkf

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                  Hi Dave,

                                  What do you mean by BPQ-DRSI? Is this the 16bit (DOS) BPQCODE?

                                  If so, then no, this is for WInFBB, 16bit or early 32bit with BPQ32.

                                  You should be able to run the original DOS FBB using the BPQ1632 system.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                                    Welcome back to port John,
                                    Thank you for your prompt attention on the BPQDED. Just so you know
                                    your effort wasn't in vain, I did download and went thru the set up
                                    rather quickly on my working machine here at the QTH. My first (again
                                    rather rushed) attempt at it was not successful. I am pressed for time
                                    today but will retrieve my "test bed" computer this week end and try
                                    again. Thx again John,
                                    73
                                    Art, N9ZZK