Re: [BPQ32] Re: BPQ Documentation

  • David Calder
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
      But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is going on with the frequencies
      your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the combination below.

      This is why I went back to the 16 version.

      73 Dave
      n4zkf

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:

        > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
        > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
        > the network we have by adding BPQ.
        >
        > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
        > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
        > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
        > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
        problems.

        > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
        > a BPQ node?
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >Mike, VE3uil
        As Ron mentioned,i would down load BPQ32U 4.09BETA 08May2006
        this is a self installing BPQ, if you have allrerady edited a
        bpqcfg.txt this program will give you several options, one is
        to use your old cfg.txt, for what it worth the little extra
        time it takes to edit the BPGCFG.TXT i would create a new one.
        The problem with the earlier BPQ is you have to move the
        the bpq32.dll to windows\system32 folder and edit the registry for
        the path of bpq.

        I have tried Ron's BPQ32UBETA with WINFBB 7.01A and AGWPE on a
        old Packard Bell 233 Mhz Processor only 48Meg of memeory on
        windows 98SE with NO UPDATES using RF\TELNET\AXIP for more then 48
        hours WITHOUT any Problems, they all worked great..

        The version of FBB you are using is a 16 bit, (Hard on the Processor)
        remember you will have to force your TNC into Kiss BPQ will NOT do
        it for you, this is one reason i use AGWPE it will take your TNC
        in and out of Kiss for you.. Give the new Version a try.

        Mike/N9PMO
      • MIchael Melnik Sr.
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:

          > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
          > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
          > the network we have by adding BPQ.
          >
          > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
          > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
          > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
          > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
          problems.

          > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
          > a BPQ node?
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >Mike VE3uil
          One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the BPQCFG.TXT
          or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running

          Mike/N9PMO
        • abertheaume
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
            Hi Dave,
            I haven't tried Johns DLL but I do remember seeing a post about
            monitoring the UI's. John was going to look into it once the sea
            turns ugly. I did a little more back tracking and am curious if
            you tried using BPQ TERMINAL for monitoring he mentioned in post
            #478?

            Here I am using a 16 bit version of FBB with AGW. I do the
            monitoring via AGW Terminal and am using BPQ32 for the networking
            aspect of things.. Just for the record, I see no excessive taxing of
            the CPU at all using this combo and I am running several other apps
            along with it, all on a P3 500MHz processor running OS W98SE. And
            since it is a 24/7 operation, putting into kiss is just a one time
            affair unless there is a power loss or something.
            N9ZZK

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
              Hi Mike,
              I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
              BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
              saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
              restart it for the changes to be effective..

              N9ZZK

              wrote:

              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
              running
              > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
              connectivity
              > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
              > >
              > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
              little
              > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
              > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
              > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
              > problems.
              > >
              > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
              running of
              > > a BPQ node?
              > >
              > > Any help would be appreciated.
              > >Mike VE3uil
              > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
              BPQCFG.TXT
              > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running
              >
              > Mike/N9PMO

            • Mark Harloff
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                Not true. John released an uprev'd dll that fixed that.
                - Mark K2CAN

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                  Depending on the type of tnc, simply replacing the eprom with a 'jkiss'
                  one will eliminate the 'in/out' problem(s).
                  - Mark K2CAN

                  MIchael Melnik Sr. wrote:

                  > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
                  > Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
                  > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
                  > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                  > >
                  > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
                  > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                  > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                  > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                  > problems.
                  > >
                  > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
                  > > a BPQ node?
                  > >
                  > > Any help would be appreciated.
                  > >Mike, VE3uil
                  > As Ron mentioned,i would down load BPQ32U 4.09BETA 08May2006
                  > this is a self installing BPQ, if you have allrerady edited a
                  > bpqcfg.txt this program will give you several options, one is
                  > to use your old cfg.txt, for what it worth the little extra
                  > time it takes to edit the BPGCFG.TXT i would create a new one.
                  > The problem with the earlier BPQ is you have to move the
                  > the bpq32.dll to windows\system32 folder and edit the registry for
                  > the path of bpq.
                  >
                  > I have tried Ron's BPQ32UBETA with WINFBB 7.01A and AGWPE on a
                  > old Packard Bell 233 Mhz Processor only 48Meg of memeory on
                  > windows 98SE with NO UPDATES using RF\TELNET\AXIP for more then 48
                  > hours WITHOUT any Problems, they all worked great..
                  >
                  > The version of FBB you are using is a 16 bit, (Hard on the Processor)
                  > remember you will have to force your TNC into Kiss BPQ will NOT do
                  > it for you, this is one reason i use AGWPE it will take your TNC
                  > in and out of Kiss for you.. Give the new Version a try.
                  >
                  > Mike/N9PMO

                • Mark Harloff
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                    The new DLL works fine Art.
                    Also, the latest BPQ Terminal will montior All (BPQ32) ports fine.
                    - Mark K2CAN

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                      The AXIP config can be changed on the fly (with BPQ32 running). A
                      command (EXTRESTART [AXIP Port #]) is all that is needed for the changes
                      to take effect.
                      Unless I missed something (and I may very well have) changing the 'main
                      config' (bpqcfg.txt) must be followed by running bpqcfg.exe and then
                      restarting the node. I take ANY applications associated with BPQ32 down
                      First (ie: WinFBB32, AR-Cluster, etc.). That sequence seems to work fine.

                      - Mark K2CAN

                      abertheaume wrote:

                      > Hi Mike,
                      > I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                      > BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                      > saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                      > restart it for the changes to be effective..
                      >
                      > N9ZZK
                      >
                      > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "MIchael
                      > Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
                      > Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
                      > running
                      > > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
                      > connectivity
                      > > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                      > > >
                      > > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
                      > little
                      > > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                      > > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                      > > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                      > > problems.
                      > > >
                      > > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
                      > running of
                      > > > a BPQ node?
                      > > >
                      > > > Any help would be appreciated.
                      > > >Mike VE3uil
                      > > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                      > BPQCFG.TXT
                      > > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running
                      > >
                      > > Mike/N9PMO

                    • abertheaume
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                        This is a good piece of information to know! Thx Mark!
                        N9ZZK

                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

                        > The AXIP config can be changed on the fly (with BPQ32 running). A
                        > command (EXTRESTART [AXIP Port #]) is all that is needed for the
                        changes
                        > to take effect.
                        > Unless I missed something (and I may very well have) changing
                        the 'main
                        > config' (bpqcfg.txt) must be followed by running bpqcfg.exe and
                        then
                        > restarting the node. I take ANY applications associated with BPQ32
                        down
                        > First (ie: WinFBB32, AR-Cluster, etc.). That sequence seems to
                        work fine.

                        > - Mark K2CAN
                        >

                        > abertheaume wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Hi Mike,
                        > > I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                        > > BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                        > > saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                        > > restart it for the changes to be effective..
                        > >
                        > > N9ZZK
                        > >
                        > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%
                        40yahoogroups.com>, "MIchael
                        > > Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%
                        40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike

                        > > running
                        > > connectivity

                        > > little
                        > > > problems.

                        > > running of

                        > > > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                        > > BPQCFG.TXT
                        > > > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ
                        Running

                        > > > Mike/N9PMO

                        10/10/2006

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                          Hi Folks,

                          I thing there may be some confusion here. Message 451 and 478 refer to running 16 bit, and the old 32 bit versions of FBB using a modified DEDHOST interface. There still is a problem with monitoring in FBB with this setup. There was also a problem of monitoring with the 32 bit version 7.01.35. This is fixed with the replacement bpq.dll that I released. I hope to have a solution to the DEDHOST problem soon.

                          Regards,

                          abertheaume wrote:

                          > Hi Dave,
                          > I haven't tried Johns DLL but I do remember seeing a post about
                          > monitoring the UI's. John was going to look into it once the sea
                          > turns ugly. I did a little more back tracking and am curious if
                          > you tried using BPQ TERMINAL for monitoring he mentioned in post
                          > #478?
                          >
                          > Here I am using a 16 bit version of FBB with AGW. I do the
                          > monitoring via AGW Terminal and am using BPQ32 for the networking
                          > aspect of things.. Just for the record, I see no excessive taxing of
                          > the CPU at all using this combo and I am running several other apps
                          > along with it, all on a P3 500MHz processor running OS W98SE. And
                          > since it is a 24/7 operation, putting into kiss is just a one time
                          > affair unless there is a power loss or something.
                          > N9ZZK
                          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com <mailto:BPQ32% 40yahoogroups. com>, "David
                          > Calder" <n4zkf@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is
                          > going on with the frequencies
                          > > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
                          > combination below.
                          > >
                          > > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
                          > >
                          > > 73 Dave
                          > > n4zkf

                        • David Calder
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                            Well John and I worked on it together and couldn't get it to work. What's your secret. I would
                            love to go to 32 bit versions of all but I don't want  a half dozen windows open to do the same thing
                            1 window in the 16 bit version will do.

                            Dave
                            n4zkf

                            David Calder wrote:

                            > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is going
                            > on with the frequencies
                            > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
                            > combination below.
                            >
                            > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
                            >
                            > 73 Dave
                            > n4zkf

                          • abertheaume
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                              Hi John and thank you for the clarification on this.
                              You back at port now?
                              I did fire up the BPQ Terminal.exe program and it does exactly
                              what I have been using AGW Term for. One thing I like with AGW Term
                              is the ability to toggle monitoring on or off on the types of
                              frames, ie:supervisory, unproto,my transmit. I know you have alot
                              on your plate but perhaps this could be something implemented in a
                              future release.
                              And always, thank you for the great product at an exceptional
                              price!
                              73
                              Art, N9ZZK
                              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Hi Folks,
                              >
                              > I thing there may be some confusion here. Message 451 and 478
                              refer to
                              > running 16 bit, and the old 32 bit versions of FBB using a
                              modified DEDHOST
                              > interface. There still is a problem with monitoring in FBB with
                              this setup.
                              > There was also a problem of monitoring with the 32 bit version
                              7.01.35. This
                              > is fixed with the replacement bpq.dll that I released. I hope to
                              have a
                              > solution to the DEDHOST problem soon.
                              >
                              > Regards,

                              Behalf Of Mark

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                Hi Folks,

                                I've just uploaded an updated bpqded.zip. This contains a replacement BPQDED32.DLL, which fixes the monitor problems when running the older versions of FBB (16 bit and the 7.00 version if 32bit) with BPQ32 using my emulation of TFWIN.DLL and TFWIN32.DLL.

                                Regards,

                                John

                              • David Calder
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                  Great! Thanks John as usual! Great job and we do appreciate the support.

                                  This will work with BPQ-DRSI and FBB?

                                  73 Dave
                                  n4zkf

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                    Hi Dave,

                                    What do you mean by BPQ-DRSI? Is this the 16bit (DOS) BPQCODE?

                                    If so, then no, this is for WInFBB, 16bit or early 32bit with BPQ32.

                                    You should be able to run the original DOS FBB using the BPQ1632 system.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                                      Welcome back to port John,
                                      Thank you for your prompt attention on the BPQDED. Just so you know
                                      your effort wasn't in vain, I did download and went thru the set up
                                      rather quickly on my working machine here at the QTH. My first (again
                                      rather rushed) attempt at it was not successful. I am pressed for time
                                      today but will retrieve my "test bed" computer this week end and try
                                      again. Thx again John,
                                      73
                                      Art, N9ZZK