BPQ Documentation

  • Mike Ligeza
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 10, 2006
      Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
      FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity to
      the network we have by adding BPQ.

      I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
      documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
      docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
      collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular problems.

      Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
      a BPQ node?

      Any help would be appreciated.
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 10, 2006
        Unfortunately there is no up to date documentation.  What we currently have is the documentation for the old BPQ from DOS days which you will find in the groups file section under folder name "BPQ408A for DOS'.  That archive has many document files which are still applicable today, the basic concepts have not changed.  Beyond that there is the latest beta document linked to in the heading of the BPQ32 group description.  While that is mainly concerned with install issues there is additional good information there.

        If someone could write up an explanation of how to use BPQ32 with FBB I would be glad to add it to the release notes.  I am not sure I will ever get to running FBB myself.

        My recommendation would be to do the BPQ32 beta install.  This will get you a working BPQ32 system and starting with that there are people in this group who should be able to help you regarding using BPQ32 with FBB.

        It shouldn't be this way, but documentation always seems to be behind (in this case way behind) the programming.

        Ron, N5IN

        Mike Ligeza wrote:

        Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
        FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity to
        the network we have by adding BPQ.

        I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
        documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
        docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
        collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular problems.

        Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
        a BPQ node?

        Any help would be appreciated.

      • MIchael Melnik Sr.
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 10, 2006
          TO: Mike VE3VIL, Ron N5IN
          Mike, your discription as to what you are trying to do is to brief:
          1 What FBB are we talking about,
          2 What version BPQ32 are you working with??

          Mike/N9PMO

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
            Just for the record I am running WinFBB 7.00i and BPQ 408e on a
            Pentium running W98.

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "MIchael Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...> wrote:

            > TO: Mike VE3VIL, Ron N5IN
            > Mike, your discription as to what you are trying to do is to brief:
            > 1 What FBB are we talking about,
            > 2 What version BPQ32 are you working with??
            >
            > Mike/N9PMO
            >
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
            > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
            > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
            > >
            > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
            > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
            > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
            > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
            > problems.
            > >
            > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
            > > a BPQ node?
            > >
            > > Any help would be appreciated.

          • abertheaume
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
              Hi Mike,
              Another option comes to mind regarding the vesion of FBB your
              running. John has written a DLL to interface a 16 bit version of
              FBB ith BPQ32. Using this, you wouldn't have o go thru the trouble
              of swapping out your version of FBB and would allow you the
              AX/IP/UDP linkinking we spoke about. See message #451 for details.

              N9ZZK
              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:

              > Just for the record I am running WinFBB 7.00i and BPQ 408e on a
              > Pentium running W98.
              >
              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "MIchael Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@>
              wrote:

              > > TO: Mike VE3VIL, Ron N5IN
              > > Mike, your discription as to what you are trying to do is to
              brief:
              > > 1 What FBB are we talking about,
              > > 2 What version BPQ32 are you working with??
              > >
              > > Mike/N9PMO
              > >
              > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
              running
              > > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
              connectivity
              > > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
              > > >
              > > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
              little
              > > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
              > > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of
              > > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
              > > problems.
              > > >
              > > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
              running of
              > > > a BPQ node?
              > > >
              > > > Any help would be appreciated.

            • David Calder
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is going on with the frequencies
                your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the combination below.

                This is why I went back to the 16 version.

                73 Dave
                n4zkf

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:

                  > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
                  > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
                  > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                  >
                  > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
                  > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                  > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                  > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                  problems.

                  > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
                  > a BPQ node?
                  >
                  > Any help would be appreciated.
                  >Mike, VE3uil
                  As Ron mentioned,i would down load BPQ32U 4.09BETA 08May2006
                  this is a self installing BPQ, if you have allrerady edited a
                  bpqcfg.txt this program will give you several options, one is
                  to use your old cfg.txt, for what it worth the little extra
                  time it takes to edit the BPGCFG.TXT i would create a new one.
                  The problem with the earlier BPQ is you have to move the
                  the bpq32.dll to windows\system32 folder and edit the registry for
                  the path of bpq.

                  I have tried Ron's BPQ32UBETA with WINFBB 7.01A and AGWPE on a
                  old Packard Bell 233 Mhz Processor only 48Meg of memeory on
                  windows 98SE with NO UPDATES using RF\TELNET\AXIP for more then 48
                  hours WITHOUT any Problems, they all worked great..

                  The version of FBB you are using is a 16 bit, (Hard on the Processor)
                  remember you will have to force your TNC into Kiss BPQ will NOT do
                  it for you, this is one reason i use AGWPE it will take your TNC
                  in and out of Kiss for you.. Give the new Version a try.

                  Mike/N9PMO
                • MIchael Melnik Sr.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:

                    > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
                    > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
                    > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                    >
                    > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
                    > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                    > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                    > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                    problems.

                    > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
                    > a BPQ node?
                    >
                    > Any help would be appreciated.
                    >Mike VE3uil
                    One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the BPQCFG.TXT
                    or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running

                    Mike/N9PMO
                  • abertheaume
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                      Hi Dave,
                      I haven't tried Johns DLL but I do remember seeing a post about
                      monitoring the UI's. John was going to look into it once the sea
                      turns ugly. I did a little more back tracking and am curious if
                      you tried using BPQ TERMINAL for monitoring he mentioned in post
                      #478?

                      Here I am using a 16 bit version of FBB with AGW. I do the
                      monitoring via AGW Terminal and am using BPQ32 for the networking
                      aspect of things.. Just for the record, I see no excessive taxing of
                      the CPU at all using this combo and I am running several other apps
                      along with it, all on a P3 500MHz processor running OS W98SE. And
                      since it is a 24/7 operation, putting into kiss is just a one time
                      affair unless there is a power loss or something.
                      N9ZZK

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                        Hi Mike,
                        I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                        BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                        saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                        restart it for the changes to be effective..

                        N9ZZK

                        wrote:

                        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
                        running
                        > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
                        connectivity
                        > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                        > >
                        > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
                        little
                        > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                        > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                        > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                        > problems.
                        > >
                        > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
                        running of
                        > > a BPQ node?
                        > >
                        > > Any help would be appreciated.
                        > >Mike VE3uil
                        > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                        BPQCFG.TXT
                        > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running
                        >
                        > Mike/N9PMO

                      • Mark Harloff
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                          Not true. John released an uprev'd dll that fixed that.
                          - Mark K2CAN

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                            Depending on the type of tnc, simply replacing the eprom with a 'jkiss'
                            one will eliminate the 'in/out' problem(s).
                            - Mark K2CAN

                            MIchael Melnik Sr. wrote:

                            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
                            > Ligeza" <ve3uil@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been running
                            > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE connectivity
                            > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                            > >
                            > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very little
                            > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                            > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                            > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                            > problems.
                            > >
                            > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and running of
                            > > a BPQ node?
                            > >
                            > > Any help would be appreciated.
                            > >Mike, VE3uil
                            > As Ron mentioned,i would down load BPQ32U 4.09BETA 08May2006
                            > this is a self installing BPQ, if you have allrerady edited a
                            > bpqcfg.txt this program will give you several options, one is
                            > to use your old cfg.txt, for what it worth the little extra
                            > time it takes to edit the BPGCFG.TXT i would create a new one.
                            > The problem with the earlier BPQ is you have to move the
                            > the bpq32.dll to windows\system32 folder and edit the registry for
                            > the path of bpq.
                            >
                            > I have tried Ron's BPQ32UBETA with WINFBB 7.01A and AGWPE on a
                            > old Packard Bell 233 Mhz Processor only 48Meg of memeory on
                            > windows 98SE with NO UPDATES using RF\TELNET\AXIP for more then 48
                            > hours WITHOUT any Problems, they all worked great..
                            >
                            > The version of FBB you are using is a 16 bit, (Hard on the Processor)
                            > remember you will have to force your TNC into Kiss BPQ will NOT do
                            > it for you, this is one reason i use AGWPE it will take your TNC
                            > in and out of Kiss for you.. Give the new Version a try.
                            >
                            > Mike/N9PMO

                          • Mark Harloff
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                              The new DLL works fine Art.
                              Also, the latest BPQ Terminal will montior All (BPQ32) ports fine.
                              - Mark K2CAN

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                                The AXIP config can be changed on the fly (with BPQ32 running). A
                                command (EXTRESTART [AXIP Port #]) is all that is needed for the changes
                                to take effect.
                                Unless I missed something (and I may very well have) changing the 'main
                                config' (bpqcfg.txt) must be followed by running bpqcfg.exe and then
                                restarting the node. I take ANY applications associated with BPQ32 down
                                First (ie: WinFBB32, AR-Cluster, etc.). That sequence seems to work fine.

                                - Mark K2CAN

                                abertheaume wrote:

                                > Hi Mike,
                                > I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                                > BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                                > saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                                > restart it for the changes to be effective..
                                >
                                > N9ZZK
                                >
                                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "MIchael
                                > Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
                                > Ligeza" <ve3uil@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hello. I'm a newbie at setting up BPQ and FBB. I have been
                                > running
                                > > > FBB for about a year now and am now trying to add NODE
                                > connectivity
                                > > > the network we have by adding BPQ.
                                > > >
                                > > > I struggled with FBB and it's documentation but can find very
                                > little
                                > > > documentation associated with BPQ. I did find some limited
                                > > > docomentation associated with the BPQ download. It consists of a
                                > > > collection of e-mails pointing out a resolutions to particular
                                > > problems.
                                > > >
                                > > > Is there a general document associated with the set-up and
                                > running of
                                > > > a BPQ node?
                                > > >
                                > > > Any help would be appreciated.
                                > > >Mike VE3uil
                                > > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                                > BPQCFG.TXT
                                > > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ Running
                                > >
                                > > Mike/N9PMO

                              • abertheaume
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                                  This is a good piece of information to know! Thx Mark!
                                  N9ZZK

                                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

                                  > The AXIP config can be changed on the fly (with BPQ32 running). A
                                  > command (EXTRESTART [AXIP Port #]) is all that is needed for the
                                  changes
                                  > to take effect.
                                  > Unless I missed something (and I may very well have) changing
                                  the 'main
                                  > config' (bpqcfg.txt) must be followed by running bpqcfg.exe and
                                  then
                                  > restarting the node. I take ANY applications associated with BPQ32
                                  down
                                  > First (ie: WinFBB32, AR-Cluster, etc.). That sequence seems to
                                  work fine.

                                  > - Mark K2CAN
                                  >

                                  > abertheaume wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Hi Mike,
                                  > > I don't think one needs to go thru the trouble of running
                                  > > BPQCFG.exe if changes are mad in AXIPCFG.txt. Am I incorrect by
                                  > > saying this? I think all that is needed is to shut down BPQ and
                                  > > restart it for the changes to be effective..
                                  > >
                                  > > N9ZZK
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%
                                  40yahoogroups.com>, "MIchael
                                  > > Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%
                                  40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike

                                  > > running
                                  > > connectivity

                                  > > little
                                  > > > problems.

                                  > > running of

                                  > > > One more thing you mite not be aware of, any changes in the
                                  > > BPQCFG.TXT
                                  > > > or AXIPCFG.TXT you need to run the BPQCFG.EXE WITHOUT BPQ
                                  Running

                                  > > > Mike/N9PMO

                                  10/10/2006

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                    Hi Folks,

                                    I thing there may be some confusion here. Message 451 and 478 refer to running 16 bit, and the old 32 bit versions of FBB using a modified DEDHOST interface. There still is a problem with monitoring in FBB with this setup. There was also a problem of monitoring with the 32 bit version 7.01.35. This is fixed with the replacement bpq.dll that I released. I hope to have a solution to the DEDHOST problem soon.

                                    Regards,

                                    abertheaume wrote:

                                    > Hi Dave,
                                    > I haven't tried Johns DLL but I do remember seeing a post about
                                    > monitoring the UI's. John was going to look into it once the sea
                                    > turns ugly. I did a little more back tracking and am curious if
                                    > you tried using BPQ TERMINAL for monitoring he mentioned in post
                                    > #478?
                                    >
                                    > Here I am using a 16 bit version of FBB with AGW. I do the
                                    > monitoring via AGW Terminal and am using BPQ32 for the networking
                                    > aspect of things.. Just for the record, I see no excessive taxing of
                                    > the CPU at all using this combo and I am running several other apps
                                    > along with it, all on a P3 500MHz processor running OS W98SE. And
                                    > since it is a 24/7 operation, putting into kiss is just a one time
                                    > affair unless there is a power loss or something.
                                    > N9ZZK
                                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com <mailto:BPQ32% 40yahoogroups. com>, "David
                                    > Calder" <n4zkf@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is
                                    > going on with the frequencies
                                    > > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
                                    > combination below.
                                    > >
                                    > > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
                                    > >
                                    > > 73 Dave
                                    > > n4zkf

                                  • David Calder
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                      Well John and I worked on it together and couldn't get it to work. What's your secret. I would
                                      love to go to 32 bit versions of all but I don't want  a half dozen windows open to do the same thing
                                      1 window in the 16 bit version will do.

                                      Dave
                                      n4zkf

                                      David Calder wrote:

                                      > But keep in mind, if you like to see the "UI" packets of what is going
                                      > on with the frequencies
                                      > your FBB is on thru FBB. You can no longer monitor those using the
                                      > combination below.
                                      >
                                      > This is why I went back to the 16 version.
                                      >
                                      > 73 Dave
                                      > n4zkf

                                    • abertheaume
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                        Hi John and thank you for the clarification on this.
                                        You back at port now?
                                        I did fire up the BPQ Terminal.exe program and it does exactly
                                        what I have been using AGW Term for. One thing I like with AGW Term
                                        is the ability to toggle monitoring on or off on the types of
                                        frames, ie:supervisory, unproto,my transmit. I know you have alot
                                        on your plate but perhaps this could be something implemented in a
                                        future release.
                                        And always, thank you for the great product at an exceptional
                                        price!
                                        73
                                        Art, N9ZZK
                                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Hi Folks,
                                        >
                                        > I thing there may be some confusion here. Message 451 and 478
                                        refer to
                                        > running 16 bit, and the old 32 bit versions of FBB using a
                                        modified DEDHOST
                                        > interface. There still is a problem with monitoring in FBB with
                                        this setup.
                                        > There was also a problem of monitoring with the 32 bit version
                                        7.01.35. This
                                        > is fixed with the replacement bpq.dll that I released. I hope to
                                        have a
                                        > solution to the DEDHOST problem soon.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,

                                        Behalf Of Mark

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                          Hi Folks,

                                          I've just uploaded an updated bpqded.zip. This contains a replacement BPQDED32.DLL, which fixes the monitor problems when running the older versions of FBB (16 bit and the 7.00 version if 32bit) with BPQ32 using my emulation of TFWIN.DLL and TFWIN32.DLL.

                                          Regards,

                                          John

                                        • David Calder
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                            Great! Thanks John as usual! Great job and we do appreciate the support.

                                            This will work with BPQ-DRSI and FBB?

                                            73 Dave
                                            n4zkf

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                              Hi Dave,

                                              What do you mean by BPQ-DRSI? Is this the 16bit (DOS) BPQCODE?

                                              If so, then no, this is for WInFBB, 16bit or early 32bit with BPQ32.

                                              You should be able to run the original DOS FBB using the BPQ1632 system.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                                                Welcome back to port John,
                                                Thank you for your prompt attention on the BPQDED. Just so you know
                                                your effort wasn't in vain, I did download and went thru the set up
                                                rather quickly on my working machine here at the QTH. My first (again
                                                rather rushed) attempt at it was not successful. I am pressed for time
                                                today but will retrieve my "test bed" computer this week end and try
                                                again. Thx again John,
                                                73
                                                Art, N9ZZK