Re: [BPQ32] Re: unholding held msgs

  • W8EHH
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
      Ok thanks for that. I guess I don't understand the sysop mode in BPQ. How do I get into it via RF?
      Thanks again

      Mike

      From: James Wagner <ka7ehk@...>
      Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:33:54 -0800 (PST)
      To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [BPQ32] Re: unholding held msgs

      There is nothing on my web site. It is a standard part of various NOS versions as well as the sysop access to the 'BPQ node.

      Jim Wagner, KA7EHK

      From: "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
      Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:35:33 -0000
      To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

      This is the system used for remote sysop access to the BPQ32 node.

      Maybe I'm a bit parnoid, but I'm not convinced it is secure enough to sysop a BBS. And I'm not convinced that the Windows platform is really reliable enough to run a remote BBS. However, I'll look into adding unhold to the command line sysop facilites, and some form of remote sysop authentication. The system used for remote authentication of rig control commands is pretty secure, but requires the two machine clocks to be syncronised, which isn't easy without an internet link.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011

        This is for the Node, not the BBS.

        From: James Wagner <ka7ehk@...>
        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:33:54 -0800 (PST)
        To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>

        From: "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:35:33 -0000
        To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

        This is the system used for remote sysop access to the BPQ32 node.

        Maybe I'm a bit parnoid, but I'm not convinced it is secure enough to sysop a BBS. And I'm not convinced that the Windows platform is really reliable enough to run a remote BBS. However, I'll look into adding unhold to the command line sysop facilites, and some form of remote sysop authentication. The system used for remote authentication of rig control commands is pretty secure, but requires the two machine clocks to be syncronised, which isn't easy without an internet link.

        I believe he said internet was not an option at this location… 73 Jerry

        Why not just use a program like TeamViewer and remotely log into the computer and operate as normal?  Couple of us use this all the time.  You can put Ham Radio Deluxe and even control the radio.

        Jay

        On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

        Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

        I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

        Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

        I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO
        "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
        Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
        http://twitter.com/wa4zko

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

        > Good Evening All
        >
        > I asked this once before but got no answer.
        > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
        > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
        >
        > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Mike W8EHH

      • w8ehh
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011

          Where do you put your password.  I looked in the config file but could not find a blank password to be filled in.  I am guessing I would need it in the RF port section??

          Mike

          From: James Wagner <ka7ehk@...>
          Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:33:54 -0800 (PST)