Re: [BPQ32] Re: unholding held msgs

  • WS7I
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
      Why not just use a program like TeamViewer and remotely log into the computer and operate as normal?  Couple of us use this all the time.  You can put Ham Radio Deluxe and even control the radio.

      Jay

      On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

      Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

      I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

      Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

      I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
      "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
      Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
      http://twitter.com/wa4zko

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

      > Good Evening All
      >
      > I asked this once before but got no answer.
      > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
      > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
      >
      > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Mike W8EHH

    • James Wagner
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
        JNOS and other BBS programs allow management via RF. You program a "pass-string" of some characters, typically a phrase you can remember. When you attempt to log in as sysop, it sends you a (pseudo-random) string of numbers such as 7 3 11 8 13 to which you respond with the 7th character from the phrase, the 3rd character from the phrase, etc.

        If the phrase is long enough, an eavesdropper would have to hear many, many, logins to construct the original pass-string. Could be done, of course, but the level of security is pretty good.

        Jim Wagner
        KA7EHK

        Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

        I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

        Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

        I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO
        "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
        Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
        http://twitter.com/wa4zko

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

        > Good Evening All
        >
        > I asked this once before but got no answer.
        > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
        > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
        >
        > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Mike W8EHH

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011

          I believe he said internet was not an option at this location… 73 Jerry

          Why not just use a program like TeamViewer and remotely log into the computer and operate as normal?  Couple of us use this all the time.  You can put Ham Radio Deluxe and even control the radio.

          Jay

          On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

          Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

          I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

          Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

          I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO
          "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
          Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
          http://twitter.com/wa4zko

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

          > Good Evening All
          >
          > I asked this once before but got no answer.
          > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
          > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
          >
          > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Mike W8EHH

        • Charles Brabham
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
            In the past, I have used the system secribed by KA7EHK extensively. It works very well, and you can of course update the password string from time to time for added security. A password string 256 characters long that you match six or seven random characters at a time over the air would be pretty difficult to hack. - I never had a security problem, and at one time remote-SYSOP'ed two BBS stations in addition to a FlexNet node.

            The remote node SYSOP setup was easy... The node computer had a copy of BBS software in it that acted as a file server, and remote reset switch. It was not used as a BBS, I only used the remote SYSOP tools to maintain another bit of software in the same machine.

            It's a sort of standard, I can think of three packet programs which use that system, off-hand. There are more, especially if you count the xNOS variants seperately.

            73 DE Charles, N5PVL

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
              This is the system used for remote sysop access to the BPQ32 node.

              Maybe I'm a bit parnoid, but I'm not convinced it is secure enough to sysop a BBS. And I'm not convinced that the Windows platform is really reliable enough to run a remote BBS. However, I'll look into adding unhold to the command line sysop facilites, and some form of remote sysop authentication. The system used for remote authentication of rig control commands is pretty secure, but requires the two machine clocks to be syncronised, which isn't easy without an internet link.

              I believe he said internet was not an option at this location… 73 Jerry

              Why not just use a program like TeamViewer and remotely log into the computer and operate as normal?  Couple of us use this all the time.  You can put Ham Radio Deluxe and even control the radio.

              Jay

              On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

              Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

              I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

              Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

              I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO
              "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
              Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
              http://twitter.com/wa4zko

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

              > Good Evening All
              >
              > I asked this once before but got no answer.
              > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
              > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
              >
              > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Mike W8EHH

            • W8EHH
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
                Hi john
                Thanks for the thought of adding an unhold function.

                I did a goggle for kaZehk but could not find anything about the remote system.
                Could you send me in the right direction so I could use it until you get the update finished

                Thank You

                Mike W8EHH

                From: "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
                Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:35:33 -0000
                To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                This is the system used for remote sysop access to the BPQ32 node.

                Maybe I'm a bit parnoid, but I'm not convinced it is secure enough to sysop a BBS. And I'm not convinced that the Windows platform is really reliable enough to run a remote BBS. However, I'll look into adding unhold to the command line sysop facilites, and some form of remote sysop authentication. The system used for remote authentication of rig control commands is pretty secure, but requires the two machine clocks to be syncronised, which isn't easy without an internet link.

                I believe he said internet was not an option at this location… 73 Jerry

                Why not just use a program like TeamViewer and remotely log into the computer and operate as normal?  Couple of us use this all the time.  You can put Ham Radio Deluxe and even control the radio.

                Jay

                On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

                I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

                Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

                I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO
                "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
                Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
                http://twitter.com/wa4zko

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

                > Good Evening All
                >
                > I asked this once before but got no answer.
                > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
                > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
                >
                > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Mike W8EHH

              • James Wagner
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
                  There is nothing on my web site. It is a standard part of various NOS versions as well as the sysop access to the 'BPQ node.

                  Jim Wagner, KA7EHK

                  From: "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
                  Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:35:33 -0000
                  To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                  This is the system used for remote sysop access to the BPQ32 node.

                  Maybe I'm a bit parnoid, but I'm not convinced it is secure enough to sysop a BBS. And I'm not convinced that the Windows platform is really reliable enough to run a remote BBS. However, I'll look into adding unhold to the command line sysop facilites, and some form of remote sysop authentication. The system used for remote authentication of rig control commands is pretty secure, but requires the two machine clocks to be syncronised, which isn't easy without an internet link.

                  I believe he said internet was not an option at this location… 73 Jerry

                  Why not just use a program like TeamViewer and remotely log into the computer and operate as normal?  Couple of us use this all the time.  You can put Ham Radio Deluxe and even control the radio.

                  Jay

                  On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                  Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

                  I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

                  Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

                  I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

                  73
                  Jeff
                  WA4ZKO
                  "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
                  Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
                  http://twitter.com/wa4zko

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

                  > Good Evening All
                  >
                  > I asked this once before but got no answer.
                  > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
                  > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
                  >
                  > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Mike W8EHH

                • W8EHH
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Ok thanks for that. I guess I don't understand the sysop mode in BPQ. How do I get into it via RF?
                    Thanks again

                    Mike

                    From: James Wagner <ka7ehk@...>
                    Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:33:54 -0800 (PST)
                    To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
                    Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:35:33 -0000
                    To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                    This is the system used for remote sysop access to the BPQ32 node.

                    Maybe I'm a bit parnoid, but I'm not convinced it is secure enough to sysop a BBS. And I'm not convinced that the Windows platform is really reliable enough to run a remote BBS. However, I'll look into adding unhold to the command line sysop facilites, and some form of remote sysop authentication. The system used for remote authentication of rig control commands is pretty secure, but requires the two machine clocks to be syncronised, which isn't easy without an internet link.

                    I believe he said internet was not an option at this location… 73 Jerry

                    Why not just use a program like TeamViewer and remotely log into the computer and operate as normal?  Couple of us use this all the time.  You can put Ham Radio Deluxe and even control the radio.

                    Jay

                    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                    Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

                    I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

                    Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

                    I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

                    73
                    Jeff
                    WA4ZKO
                    "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
                    Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
                    http://twitter.com/wa4zko

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

                    > Good Evening All
                    >
                    > I asked this once before but got no answer.
                    > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
                    > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
                    >
                    > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Mike W8EHH

                  • James Wagner
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011

                      John -

                      I agree that it is not perfect, but a node is as critical piece of the puzzle as the bbs. One bent on causing mayhem could mess with the node. compromising access to the bbs, no? So, if it is good enough for node protection, it ought to be good enough for the rareish cases when it is really needed.

                      Personally,  I would offer the capability with a caution that the security is not perfect and a recommendation to use a long string and to change it occasionally if you do have to use it.

                      In years past, I had to remote sysop a bbs that only had rf access. It was on a hilltop that was snowed in part of the year and far enough away that site visits were inconvenient. I recall setting up something that could be used for a remote computer reboot in order to deal with perceptions of OS stability issues. It was inconvenient, but that was the way it was, and the inconvenience was smaller than the inconvenience of having to site visit for bbs management.

                      Jim Wagner,
                      KA7EHK

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011

                        This is for the Node, not the BBS.

                        From: James Wagner <ka7ehk@...>
                        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:33:54 -0800 (PST)
                        To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>

                        From: "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
                        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:35:33 -0000
                        To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
                        ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                        This is the system used for remote sysop access to the BPQ32 node.

                        Maybe I'm a bit parnoid, but I'm not convinced it is secure enough to sysop a BBS. And I'm not convinced that the Windows platform is really reliable enough to run a remote BBS. However, I'll look into adding unhold to the command line sysop facilites, and some form of remote sysop authentication. The system used for remote authentication of rig control commands is pretty secure, but requires the two machine clocks to be syncronised, which isn't easy without an internet link.

                        I believe he said internet was not an option at this location… 73 Jerry

                        Why not just use a program like TeamViewer and remotely log into the computer and operate as normal?  Couple of us use this all the time.  You can put Ham Radio Deluxe and even control the radio.

                        Jay

                        On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                        Best I can tell "unholding" messages and the hold flag on new uers has to be done on the local BBS console. I think T-type messages are the only messages that can be status manipulated on RF....beyond the usual K #, KM and etc.

                        I think some of reasoning behind this is for security concerns. Anyone could forge a sysop call into their TNC, log in on RF and do damage. If the message was held due to inappropriate content, then you don't want to accidentally be reading it over RF.

                        Guess in your case this sucks ;-) Maybe John can do some form of sysop password that uses a challenge/response type system (does no good to send the password over the air).

                        I'd also like the ability to manipulate rig control while on remote. Most of the time I do my BBS work while on MSRDP or LogMeIn remote sessions, but there are times where telnet is more practical for me.

                        73
                        Jeff
                        WA4ZKO
                        "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
                        Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
                        http://twitter.com/wa4zko

                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "w8ehh" <w8ehh1@...> wrote:

                        > Good Evening All
                        >
                        > I asked this once before but got no answer.
                        > Is there away to unhold messages remotely? Or do I have to go to the site to do sysop work.
                        > If that is the case, John do you think that you can add remote sysoping by RF. I thought that it could be done in FBB.
                        >
                        > Since this site is at a remote location I will need to make changes from time to time and don't want to have to got to the site every time. At present we do not have internet access, so all has to be done by RF if I can.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Mike W8EHH

                      • w8ehh
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011

                          Where do you put your password.  I looked in the config file but could not find a blank password to be filled in.  I am guessing I would need it in the RF port section??

                          Mike

                          From: James Wagner <ka7ehk@...>
                          Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:33:54 -0800 (PST)