Help with Chat

  • w8ehh
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
      Good Day All

      WE got the new system up and running at the permanent location.  We used the chat mode for our nightly packet net, for the first time.
      We had 5 persons connected.  2 of the five never got disconnected. the other 3 were getting disconnected constantly.  Connections set to 10.

      What is causing these disconnects and how can I remedy this.  We will not be able to CHAT if this cant be solved.

      Any Help will be appreciated.

      Mike

    • WS7I

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
          If the folks having trouble staying connected are using MFJ TNC's, might have them try disabling ACKPRIOR. ACKPRIOR OFF I'm wanting to say it's default "ON" but not 100% sure.

          ACKPRIOR has a reputation of causing similar problems on a busy channel.

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, WS7I <ws7ik7tj@...> wrote:

          > In my experience with packet the entire team will need to have syncronized
          > parameters. What we found was that less agressive was much better. e.g.
          > longer FRACK, more retires, less frames, and longer resptime. But most
          > important is that all stations have essentially the same parms. This is on
          > a user basis.
          >
          > Most of this came from RF packetcluster usage.
          >
          > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 7:18 AM, w8ehh <w8ehh1@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Good Day All
          > >
          > > WE got the new system up and running at the permanent location. We used
          > > the chat mode for our nightly packet net, for the first time.
          > > We had 5 persons connected. 2 of the five never got disconnected. the
          > > other 3 were getting disconnected constantly. Connections set to 10.
          > >
          > > What is causing these disconnects and how can I remedy this. We will not
          > > be able to CHAT if this cant be solved.
          > >
          > > Any Help will be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Mike

        • w8ehh
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
            Thanks for the info.  But could you give me some specifics that have worked for you in the past.
            We are a new group and very new to chat.  If I cant fix this the group will go back to UNPROTO and that is bad in itself. the stations getting bounced are 2 using KPC-3 and 1 using a PK ? TNC.
            Do I have to change any setting in BPQ also?

            Thanks again

            Mike  W8EHH

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
              Mike,

              There are many reasons for a station getting regular disconnects - the signal could be marginal, ax.25 parameters, e.g. retries or frack could be unsuitable, the channel could be too busy. You really need to monitor the traffic to get an idea of where to start looking. I would also be worth comparing the configuration of the stations that don't get disconnected with those that do.

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                Here is what we use....

                ;COM2 - RADIO 2
                PORT
                 PORTNUM=4        ; Optional but sets port number if stated
                 ID=145.090             ; Displayed by PORTS command
                 TYPE=ASYNC        ; Port is RS232 Com
                 PROTOCOL=KISS        ; TNC is used in KISS mode
                 FULLDUP=1 ;0        ; Only meaningful for KISS devices and KAMXL
                 IOADDR=4        ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.
                 SPEED=9600        ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED
                 CHANNEL=B ;A        ; A for single channel TNC, A or B for multichannel
                 PERSIST=200     ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)
                 SLOTTIME=100        ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds
                 TXDELAY=500     ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds
                 TXTAIL=0        ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end
                 QUALITY=0         ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on
                            ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route
                            ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts
                 MINQUAL=0         ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or
                            ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value
                            ; of 0 sends everything.
                 MAXFRAME=1         ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)
                 FRACK=6000    ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds
                 RESPTIME=2000    ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds
                 RETRIES=10        ; Level 2 maximum retry value
                 PACLEN=128    ; Default max packet length for this port
                 UNPROTO=Port4,KMN    ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]
                 BCALL=KB0WSA-6        ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to APPL1CALL
                 L3ONLY=0        ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port
                 DIGIFLAG=1        ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only
                 DIGIPORT=0        ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)
                 USERS=0        ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit
                ENDPORT
                ;

                73,  K.O. n0kfq

                On 2/1/2011 3:25 PM, w8ehh wrote:

[...]

                No virus found in this message.

                K.O. Higgs
                n0kfq@...

              • w8ehh
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                  Good Evening John

                  Well traffic is not all that much.  There are only about 7 of us at the moment.  a couple do check the bbs every hour automatically but that's it.  So the best I can tell is it  is due to settings of indivuales and or settings in BPQ.  But what Mr.Higgs sent seemed very hi for a PBBS.  Not sure what I should tell our users.

                  Is there a way to do sysop duties remotely?  the node is in a locations that don't lend itself to go to when need to un hold messages or something simple like that.

                  Thanks again

                  Mike  W8EHH

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                    Mike

                    May be the 3 that are getting disconnected should compare their settings
                    against
                    The 2 that are not getting disconnected.

                    Mike-N9PMO
                  • Hank Oredson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                      Any hidden transmitters?
                      That would be a killer on a channel with 6 transmitters active.
                      If every one does not hear everyone else ... it will fail.

                        ... Hank

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                        Here in FL almost all have hidden ants not everyone can hear each other that's why we have the node at 150 feet. So your saying chat will never work unless every body can hear every one??

                        Mike

                        From: "Hank Oredson" <w0rli@...>
                        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:32:53 -0800
                        To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
                        ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                          Any sort of linking will fail with hidden transmitters.
                          With 5 hidden transmitters, they will all be stepping on
                          the acks from the others, and will retry out.

                          Here we solve this problem by providing multiple frequencies at each node.
                          Never more than 3 transmitters on each frequency, and all must hear each other.
                          We use 6M, 2M, 223, 70cm.
                          Most links are 9600, with a few links at 1200.

                          One of the EMCOMM "networks" has over 20 transmitters on the same frequency.
                          As expected it is totally useless.

                          There are protocols other than normal AX.25 that will work with hidden transmitters.
                          Those protocols poll each remote station from a single central station.
                          The remote stations never transmit except to respond to their poll.

                            ... Hank

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 1, 2011
                            Flexnet does that. That's one of the reasons we
                            use it up here for RF links. No disrespect to John.

                            - Mark K2CAN

                          • la7um
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 2, 2011
                              Maybe John can implement this german Dama master protocol into his NetRom node? Client packet Tnc's may then use its inherent Dama slave mode.

                              I am not sure, but believe that for this to work, ALL the clients must be "Dama-slave" capable.
                              Kind of similar with XKISS or Polled Kiss mode or Extended Kiss....many names..Like many TNCs using the same RS232 port.
                              All the potential users must agree and prepare for this.

                              So an option like this in BPQ32 must me ....well....an option.

                              Another issue might be the SW "feeling of real time".
                              FlexNet and some TNCs with "6pack" do react quicker to the on air signals than SW through TNCs in KISS mode.

                              I think (not sure) that Linux X(net) may handle Dama.

                              73 de la7um Finn

                              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

                              > Flexnet does that. That's one of the reasons we
                              > use it up here for RF links. No disrespect to John.
                              >
                              > - Mark K2CAN
                              >
                              > On 2/1/2011 8:49 PM, Hank Oredson wrote:
                              > > Any sort of linking will fail with hidden
                              > > transmitters.
                              > > With 5 hidden transmitters, they will all be
                              > > stepping on
                              > > the acks from the others, and will retry out.
                              > > Here we solve this problem by providing multiple
                              > > frequencies at each node.
                              > > Never more than 3 transmitters on each
                              > > frequency, and all must hear each other.
                              > > We use 6M, 2M, 223, 70cm.
                              > > Most links are 9600, with a few links at 1200.
                              > > One of the EMCOMM "networks" has over 20
                              > > transmitters on the same frequency.
                              > > As expected it is totally useless.
                              > > There are protocols other than normal AX.25 that
                              > > will work with hidden transmitters.
                              > > Those protocols poll each remote station from a
                              > > single central station.
                              > > The remote stations never transmit except to
                              > > respond to their poll.
                              > > ... Hank

                            • Hank Oredson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 2, 2011
                                I should probably revisit DAMA ... considered an implementation years
                                ago, but since it was not needed in our local network did not do it ;-)

                                  ... Hank