Re: BPQ32 + FBB7.01.35 + AR-CLuster?

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
      Hi Roger,

      I don't think you should have problems running the latest 32bit FBB
      on the same machine as AR-Cluster. I've run it here, although only
      in a test rather than 'live' environment.

      When you say you have problems forwarding to a BBS running 16 bit
      software, is that DOS FBB, WIN FBB or something else? If you could
      send me a trace of it going wrong, I may be able to help.

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "g3ldi" <g3ldi@...> wrote:

      > Hi.
      >
      > I have spent a lot of time with help from Mike, N9PMO, getting
      > the 32 bit FBB and BPQ software working. It all seems to work fine
      > except that when forwarding with another BBS running 16 bit
      software
      > it disconnects and sometimes just stops. I have also noticed that
      > sometimes the BBS will try forwarding and is not talking to the
      Tiny2
      > TNC. It all works again after closing the bss down and re-booting.
      > I was hoping to run AR-Cluster on the same machine, but reading
      > through the postings, it looks like that causes problems. I do have
      > a second machine running the Satgate and could install the Cluster
      > on there if necessary.
      > Any thoughts from the experts?????
      >
      > 73 de Roger, G3LDI

    • Roger Cooke
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2006
        Hi John.

           Thanks for the reply. Somebody told me that you were "sailing the world" now you
        have retired, so I do hope you had a great time.
          I tried again with the Cluster, but I found it difficult because FBB also uses AGW and BPQ
        so the two were in conflict! I do have the Satgate machine, so I think it best to run the Cluster
        on there, and talk to the BBS over the LAN with BPQ.

           The problem with forwarding.    I start a session with GB7VLS, running the older FBB
        version. All goes well for a while and then it all stops, no apparent reason why. My BBS
        is trying to send, the STA light blinks but the PTT does not key. I have found that if I leave
        it for several minutes, it reverts back to normal, but it takes a long time. I was wondering
        if it was a timer within your node software causing this?

          Incidentally, I have been told that N5IN is now writing some of your new node code,
        I am running the 4.09U, latest version.

        Regards from Roger, G3LDI
        Swardeston, Norfolk.

        I don't think you should have problems running the latest 32bit FBB
        on the same machine as AR-Cluster. I've run it here, although only
        in a test rather than 'live' environment.

        When you say you have problems forwarding to a BBS running 16 bit
        software, is that DOS FBB, WIN FBB or something else? If you could
        send me a trace of it going wrong, I may be able to help.

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "g3ldi" <g3ldi@...> wrote:

        > Hi.
        >
        > I have spent a lot of time with help from Mike, N9PMO, getting
        > the 32 bit FBB and BPQ software working. It all seems to work fine
        > except that when forwarding with another BBS running 16 bit
        software
        > it disconnects and sometimes just stops. I have also noticed that
        > sometimes the BBS will try forwarding and is not talking to the
        Tiny2
        > TNC. It all works again after closing the bss down and re-booting.
        > I was hoping to run AR-Cluster on the same machine, but reading
        > through the postings, it looks like that causes problems. I do have
        > a second machine running the Satgate and could install the Cluster
        > on there if necessary.
        > Any thoughts from the experts?????
        >
        > 73 de Roger, G3LDI

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2006
          Roger, G3LDI

          I must correct a few points.  John is not sailing the world.  Rather I said that he is 'sailing in the ocean'.  Hopefully not too far from Scotland and I also hope he is careful and has the necessary safety equipment!.  As I understand the weather will soon encourage him to wrap it up for the season and return home.  Then he will be more active in advancing BPQ32.

          As to my writing some of the code...no I am not doing that.  I did spend years writing code, mainly macroassember for a mainframe operating system, but that was in the past and I have not found the time to get back to programming.  I probably should, if I could find the time!

          What I have done is bug John for several years encouraging him to resume work on BPQ32.  I am glad he didn't tell me to get lost!  I don't think John realized at that time how many people still value BPQ32.  He also probably didn't think when he wrote BPQ that it would become a millstone around his neck.  So I and many others are very happy that now that John has retired he is willing to take some time to freshen BPQ32.  But it's a project he can do only as time allows.

          I established this BPQ32 Yahoo Group and I do try to answer questions, but there are many applications with which I have no experience, and so rather than expose my ignorance I don't normally respond to those questions!  As our members practical knowledge base expands I hope answers to questions are easier to come by.

          73 Ron, N5IN

          Roger Cooke wrote:
          Hi John.

             Thanks for the reply. Somebody told me that you were "sailing the world" now you
          have retired, so I do hope you had a great time.
            I tried again with the Cluster, but I found it difficult because FBB also uses AGW and BPQ
          so the two were in conflict! I do have the Satgate machine, so I think it best to run the Cluster
          on there, and talk to the BBS over the LAN with BPQ.

             The problem with forwarding.    I start a session with GB7VLS, running the older FBB
          version. All goes well for a while and then it all stops, no apparent reason why. My BBS
          is trying to send, the STA light blinks but the PTT does not key. I have found that if I leave
          it for several minutes, it reverts back to normal, but it takes a long time. I was wondering
          if it was a timer within your node software causing this?

            Incidentally, I have been told that N5IN is now writing some of your new node code,
          I am running the 4.09U, latest version.

          Regards from Roger, G3LDI
          Swardeston, Norfolk.

          I don't think you should have problems running the latest 32bit FBB
          on the same machine as AR-Cluster. I've run it here, although only
          in a test rather than 'live' environment.

          When you say you have problems forwarding to a BBS running 16 bit
          software, is that DOS FBB, WIN FBB or something else? If you could
          send me a trace of it going wrong, I may be able to help.

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "g3ldi" <g3ldi@...> wrote:

          > Hi.
          >
          > I have spent a lot of time with help from Mike, N9PMO, getting
          > the 32 bit FBB and BPQ software working. It all seems to work fine
          > except that when forwarding with another BBS running 16 bit
          software
          > it disconnects and sometimes just stops. I have also noticed that
          > sometimes the BBS will try forwarding and is not talking to the
          Tiny2
          > TNC. It all works again after closing the bss down and re-booting.
          > I was hoping to run AR-Cluster on the same machine, but reading
          > through the postings, it looks like that causes problems. I do have
          > a second machine running the Satgate and could install the Cluster
          > on there if necessary.
          > Any thoughts from the experts?????
          >
          > 73 de Roger, G3LDI

        • Roger Cooke
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2006
            Hi Ron..

               Thanks for the Email. I obviously twisted the information!  Oh well, John did say that
            he had just sailed fom the Channel Islands so that is "Ocean" enough for me!  I was
            sorry when John stopped developing his node some years ago, so am now very pleased
            that he is taking it on again. It might encourage more people to use packet.

               As for the Cluster, I would like to be a "purist" and get a feed from RF if possible. I
            am shortly trying a 70Mhz link from a station some 30 miles south of me, so I shall see
            how those tests go. Failing that the only option then is the Internet. I have bought the
            AR-Cluster software and will install it on my Satgate PC and talk over the LAN to the BBS.

              I seem to remember your name from 20 years ago, when packet was all the rage, but I
            don't associate it with N5IN. Anyway, thanks for correcting me Ron, and see you on the
            BBS PC.

            Regards from Roger, G3LDI
            Swardeston, Norfolk.