Can BPQ32 be setup for ONLY pmail and Email ?

  • KG5KS - Kenny Thompson
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 16, 2011
      Can BPQ32 for Emcomm use be configured for PMAIL and EMAIL ONLY rejecting all  bulletins ?

      Thank you
      73
      Kenny
      ARS KG5KS

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 17, 2011
        Kenny,

        If you only forward to/from other BPQ32 system, you can specify what types of messages you want to receive from them.

        But they is no way to stop a user entering a bulletin, and if you forward with non-BPQ systems you would have to only accept forwarding from people you trust not to send you stuff you don't want,

        It would be pretty easy to add a "No Bulls" configuration option, if people think that would be useful.

        73,
        John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 17, 2011

          1 Vote for “No Bulls” Option.. If it could be configured per CALL option, which would be best then a Full Service BBS could still easily carry out forwarding with both types of stations.

          73 jerry n9lya

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 17, 2011
            I would like to see that option
            Mike

            From: "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
            Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:04:09 -0000
            To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 17, 2011
              Hello

              Why not just setup don't send bulletins to your forward partners and
              ask them also not setup to send bulls to you?! Even not need a changes in software...

              73, Sergej
              uz2hz/ut1hzm
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 17, 2011
                Ditto here too. Would be a nice feature.

                Dave
                KA0SWT

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 17, 2011
                  We are talking about an " Emcomm BPQ32 computer " only running for the passing of PMAILS and EMAILS on RF Ports.  Would be nice to be able to stop any bulletins from being able to be put into it.  This is for special use only to served agencies only in case they lose their ability to send traffic and emails via internet

                  Thank you
                  73
                  Kenny
                  ARS KG5KS

                  Why not just setup don't send bulletins to your forward partners and
                  ask them also not setup to send bulls to you?! Even not need a changes in software...

                  73, Sergej
                  uz2hz/ut1hzm

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • KG5KS - Kenny Thompson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 17, 2011
                    I would think that would be great.  Using in an Emcomm only environment  would be nice to only handle the Pmail and Emails and not worry about someone putting bulletins or trying to forward bulletins into the system.

                    Thank you
                    73
                    Kenny
                    ARS KG5KS

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 17, 2011
                      That should be no problem. I have been running bpq and/or Bpq for many years. I don't do any bulletins tho I did just inquire about some to one of the people to which I am connected.

                      Sysop's can add or subtract those from you quite easily.  WA7V who runs a massive BBS system and to whom I am connected has never sent me a bulletin tho we do pass an occasional sysop to sysop message.  Same with Bill WA7NWP.

                      I do go through his system and pass NTS messages to the NTS station on the other side of the state and the State EOC.

                      BPQ32 does whatever you set it up to do.  The major difference is that it has both an active group supporting things as well as an author who is the only author that supports almost everything any EnComm group would want.

                      Not that you can't set up anyother BBS to do the same.  I used RLI BBS for years and years and never had a single bulletin.

                      BTW I don't run chat either other than just on my local node(s) unless I am testing.

                      Jay

                      On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM, KG5KS - Kenny Thompson <kg5ks@...> wrote:

[...]

                          No virus found in this message.

                          K.O. Higgs
                          n0kfq@...

                        • bryan_randy
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 30, 2011

                            yes it can amen

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 30, 2011
                              one thought, if it is only used for severed groups non ham, then the setup wuld to me be falling apart soon. and next thing you know the freq's would be tied up with eoc's ops sending things back and forth that did not really have to be sent.
                              like in local medical center they have the items to put winlink in place but have failed to instll the setup.
                              this stuff is not some thing put up last month and leave till next year,or even month, to many things can change.
                              but if I could get the local medical center to allow me to use the high dollar tnc then all they would have do is put up a two meterpacket  station and then they could have a working network .
                              with hf forwarding being done from some site where could be taken careof.
                              just some thoughts.kf4cmj
                              Randy

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 30, 2011
                                I'd have a switch where only the SYSOP can enter bulletins. That way a few information or organization bulletins could be utilized without opening the door to unrestricted bulletins. - Or if the SYSOP saw no need for them at all, that would be another option it would make possible.

                                HamRadioNet operates this way all the time ( Only SYSOPs may post bulletins ) so this same switch would make BPQMailChat compatible for HRN use.

                                73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 30, 2011
                                  This is ONLY a PORTABLE setup for Emcomm not an Emcomm group supported system.  We are talking about one to two operators serving an agency for a short length of time to pass pmails and emails only through vhf and hf ports until their Internet comes back up.  When we are using HF on transmit we must be around the rigs, to meet the FCC rules.    There will be those that will drag their tncs out of the closet and start inputting bulletins, NTS traffic, for sale etc etc type items into this PORTABLE temp station.  Be nice if PBBS callsign could input some type of bulletin if needed though.

                                    I know you can make the PBBS hold all of this type traffic for review, but still would have to be dealt with at sometime.  Still only one or two operators for this system and would make it easy to reject all of these during this time only.  Hopefully, other PBBS will be online that would take these and put them onto others freqs or Internet forwarding.  When the PORTABLE Emcomm system has fulfilled it's mission, then it would be put back into the case and only turned on every once in a while for upgrades and make sure it works.  My other PBBS will be running though 24/7 taking, receiving, forwarding all kinds of traffic through VHF, Internet connections.

                                  Hope you can get the equipment into your served agencies and keep it updated and configured.  Just a strong working relationship between the served agency and the group helps, however when it comes to them buying the equipment, antennas, etc etc there might be problems that sometimes can't be overcome.  Everything depends on how much they think they need you... hi

                                  I always plan to bring my equipment to use as I know it is in working, updated for the Emcomm task.

                                  Thank you
                                  73
                                  Kenny
                                  ARS KG5KS

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 30, 2011

                                    Hey Kenny,
                                     I hope I did not get off on wrong side. I know that the setup I have up and running around the clock has been up I would say 99.99999 percent of time with no problems for last think 3 to 4 years.
                                    I used to be the ec in the county I live in but the fact that I opened my mouth in form and said what I thought I was fired,  water over the bridge now but at least when I was the ec something was getting done now not one drill has taken place in this county in last 2 to 3 years.
                                    I have been thinking of moving in future when family members are no long holding me here.
                                    and Ar may be where I head out. seems the hams of Ar are on road to having great packet network. Wish We had half the stuff going over here in Tennessee. I may try linking my node into the ar packet if can make the link work.
                                    no one over here isdoing a thing as far as I can tell.tn is sold out to mars and that don't work so great if have no mars people in area who are know to us plan old hams.
                                     but still after the fall from the ares group I have kept my winlink station going 24-7
                                    kf4cmj

                                  • KG5KS - Kenny Thompson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 31, 2011
                                      No not any problems, there was some discussion when I first posted the question.  Some seem to think a large group was doing this, some telling me it would hold bulletins, etc.. All of it I knew because have been running BPQ32 PBBS 24/7, then FBB for many years, MSYSBBS before that, and then my first software was a one connect at a time that crashed a lot..hi.  Got into packet and digital modes around late 1985 or 1986, back when you kit build a tnc .  I used to own a TAPR unit which was bigger than some hf radios of today.  Oh what fun we had.

                                      Most nodes around me " APRS too "are sponsored by hams and not clubs.  Equipment used is personally owned.  I have been into public service over 25 yrs now and work with a State Agency, along with being a DEC here.  I know the battles most of us fight to get good equipment into served agencies and the problems with too little money to pay for things.  We just have to keep plugging away at it, and things change / move slower than we want.

                                      There is a dual port node going up in Searcy, Arkansas soon it will connect to Memphis, Little Rock and other port will bring in our ARES RACES vhf frequency for service.  I have both tnc's, antenna, coax ready to go and another ham has the rest to make this happen.

                                      Everyone having a great week coming up.

                                      Thank you
                                      73
                                      Kenny
                                      ARS KG5KS

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 31, 2011

                                        Kenny

                                                        Who are you going to link to in Memphis? The Winlink network is using 145.71 @ 1200 and also had 441.125 @9600. Station is BPQ RMS Packet/Relay capable. Call sign for BPQ is N4GMT-2. The old 145.59 is just about done with only 2 nodes left after  I bringing down N9ACQ-2 soon in preparation for move to the Brookland area of AR.

                                        73 Bill

                                        N9ACQ

                                      • KG5KS - Kenny Thompson
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 31, 2011
                                          Was asked to put one on 59 as this is what LR uses too.  You moving to Brookland, Arkansas from Memphis!!  Your fixing to see a different side of digital...hi

                                          Thank you
                                          73
                                          Kenny
                                          ARS KG5KS

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 31, 2011

                                            Kenny

                                                            Yah I know. Previously  Mike Nettles, KB5WBH, had setup an AXIP link between me and his node.  Unfortunately there were some problems with naming and addressing. I am now using Dyndns to provide a domain name for my leased internet address. If you can give me your domain name or IP address I should be able to set up AXIP late tonight. My domain name is N9ACQ.dyndns.org.  Due to antanna restrictions, no outside antennas allowed, my station is a proof of concept and both KF4CMJ and N4GMT have almost identical installations. When both ARGate and TNGate were operational I could work into Little rock, AR without problem. So let’s give it a try and if all works well I will bring both N4GMT and KF4CMJ up to speed.

                                            73 Bill

                                            N9ACQ

                                          • KG5KS - Kenny Thompson
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 31, 2011
                                              Looking forward to seeing you in Arkansas.  Craighead County is a nice big County and ham friendly too.

                                              Thank you
                                              73
                                              Kenny
                                              ARS KG5KS