Callsign Registration procedure

  • Tony Hunt
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2005
      Ive just joined in on the group so Ive little idea where the thread is at..

      Great to see some more development on BPQ32..

      New Beta release
      Ive got it going.. First off I checked it worked as before with the OCX
      interface. Fine it seems.

      I could not work out what was going on with the AGWtoBPQ.exe .. Not much
      info on that that I could find.. It complained about the ocx not being
      registered. I found the BAT files for that but they wont work on WIN 98SE ..
      I copied the 2x OCX files to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder with the batch files
      but still refused to run.. So I used the RUN option from the windows start
      menu and typed the regsvr32 commands in manually from there. After a while
      it appears to have registered the OCX files ok.. All good .. Maybee thats
      old ground but I found it took a while to figure out.

      I found now that AGQtoBPQ runs. Not sure whats going on in the display there
      with ports and masks. Ive tried some different values in there and saved it
      but it still does not gell with me..
      Nontheless it works. Ive tested it with Ui-View32 and WIN-TNC.. Dont
      forget to change the AGW port to 8001 instead of the standard AGW 8000.

      Now here is a odd problem that may be a BUG .. Henk is working on a new
      version of Digi_Ned . I am beta testing it for him of a fashion.. It
      interfaces with AGW . The Port and HOST addresses are all variable. One of
      his procedures in his interface is a callsign registration with the packet
      engine. This is about as far as it gets in running. It reports a failure on
      the callsign registration and shuts down.
      I have kept a earlier version of his programe which does not run this
      callsign registration routine. It has other problems but it does work with
      AGWtoBPQ ok.. Perhaps the AGW X (callsign registration) isnt working as yet
      . Just a guess..

      Any ideas ?

      Tony Hunt VK5AH
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2005
        Tony Hunt wrote:
        > Ive just joined in on the group so Ive little idea where the thread is
        > at..
        >
        > Great to see some more development on BPQ32..
        >
        > New Beta release
        > Ive got it going.. First off I checked it worked as before with the OCX
        > interface. Fine it seems.

        What user program are you using which uses the OCX interface? My
        experience is limited to AR-Cluster. The new BPQ32 should be a simple
        drop in for AR-Cluster users who wish to stay with the OCX interface.

        > I could not work out what was going on with the AGWtoBPQ.exe .. Not much
        > info on that that I could find.. It complained about the ocx not being
        > registered. I found the BAT files for that but they wont work on WIN
        > 98SE ..
        > I copied the 2x OCX files to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder with the batch
        > files
        > but still refused to run.. So I used the RUN option from the windows start
        > menu and typed the regsvr32 commands in manually from there. After a while
        > it appears to have registered the OCX files ok.. All good .. Maybee thats
        > old ground but I found it took a while to figure out.

        The batch files must be run from the same folder as the BPQ32 suite of
        files, and you must have FIRST compiled a valid bpqcfg.txt file, and
        have a valid bpqaxip.cfg file if you use AX/IP/UDP. I covered all this
        in the beta document, however I have not tried this with Win 98.

        > I found now that AGQtoBPQ runs. Not sure whats going on in the display
        > there
        > with ports and masks. Ive tried some different values in there and
        > saved it
        > but it still does not gell with me..
        > Nontheless it works. Ive tested it with Ui-View32 and WIN-TNC.. Dont
        > forget to change the AGW port to 8001 instead of the standard AGW 8000.
        >
        > Now here is a odd problem that may be a BUG .. Henk is working on a new
        > version of Digi_Ned . I am beta testing it for him of a fashion.. It
        > interfaces with AGW . The Port and HOST addresses are all variable. One of
        > his procedures in his interface is a callsign registration with the packet
        > engine. This is about as far as it gets in running. It reports a
        > failure on
        > the callsign registration and shuts down.
        AR-Cluster issues the same complaint, but it causes no trouble. I think
        it also complains with the real AGWPE, then continues normally. So I
        have no idea what this is about. Clearly we need to find out!
        > I have kept a earlier version of his programe which does not run this
        > callsign registration routine. It has other problems but it does work
        > with
        > AGWtoBPQ ok.. Perhaps the AGW X (callsign registration) isnt working
        > as yet
        > . Just a guess..
        >
        > Any ideas ?
        >
        > Tony Hunt VK5AH

        Thanks for the info. I am hopeful that John G8BPQ is reading this,
        however he is currently circumnavigating Great Britian in a sail boat,
        celebrating his retirement. He has limited internet access only when he
        is in or near a port! So we will have to be patient.

        Ron, N5IN
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2005
          Hi Tony,

          I'll leave it to Ron to comment on the setup problems, as he wrote the batch
          files and documentation.

          AGWtoBPQ does process the 'X' command, but as BPQ32 has it's callsigns
          predefined, it does nothing with the suppled call. So the callsign being
          registered should be the BPQ Nodecall. I haven't seen this cause problems
          with other apps, but maybe Digi_Ned is more fussy. If you are able to send
          me a copy of the Beta Digi_Ned (or even better a link to download it from,
          as I am currently on a boat, and internet access can be a bit dodgy), I'll
          investigate.

          Regards,

          John GM8BPQ/MM

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Ron Stordahl N5IN
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hunt" <wavetel@i...> wrote:
            ..
            ..
            I could not work out what was going on with the AGWtoBPQ.exe .. Not
            much info on that that I could find.. It complained about the ocx not
            being registered. I found the BAT files for that but they wont work
            on WIN 98SE .. I copied the 2x OCX files to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM
            folder with the batch files but still refused to run.. So I used the
            RUN option from the windows start menu and typed the regsvr32
            commands in manually from there. After a while it appears to have
            registered the OCX files ok.. All good .. Maybee thats old ground but
            I found it took a while to figure out.
            ..
            ..
            Tony Hunt VK5AH

            Tony

            I have only tested BPQ32 on W2K and WXP and the registration batch
            files work fine when executed from c:\Program Files\BPQ32\. It's
            news to me that W95/W98/WME would require a different procedure.
            Here are the batch files:

            RegSvrBpqOcx.bat:
            regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx /u
            regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx

            Regcswsk32.bat:
            regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx /u
            regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx

            What's needed is a single procedure that works on platforms from W95
            thru WXP, I hope that someone on this forum has the answer and will
            share it. Lacking that Ill try to find one of the old boxes this
            weekend and do some searching for an answer.

            Ron, N5IN
          • Tony Hunt
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
              Ron .. Ive had a play with the OCX registrations on another W98SE machine ..
              Same issues..
              The batch files dont work.. You can not run REGSVR32.EXE from a dos window.
              It refuses to
              run the file comming back with "bad command or filename" .. REGSVR32.EXE is
              a hidden file in 98
              living in WINDOWS\SYSTEM .. Ive tried running the batch files from the
              windows\system folder as
              well.. You just cant run REGSVR32 from DOS.

              I dont use BPQaxip at all .

              This is what works. Other similar combinations may work also.

              config a bpqcfg.bin file the usual way.

              Copied the following to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder BPQCFG.BIN , BPQ32.DLL ,
              VB40032.DLL , BPQCtrl.ocx ,
              cswsk32.ocx

              Now use the Start Menu> Run option to run the REGSVR32 by running

              regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx /u
              then
              regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx
              then
              regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx /u
              then
              regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx

              I also found that using the brouse option to find the regsvr32.exe file on
              the RUN command line
              would create the full path of C:\Windows\system\regsvr32.exe and this was
              preferable as at times it seemed
              not to be able to find regsvr32.exe which probably depends on the Path
              setting. If Windows explorer was still
              open at the Windows\system folder then I didnt need the full path to run
              regsvr32.exe . Never seen this before
              but it seemed to hold true consistantly.

              I am not sure about the VB40032.DLL file but it was part of the hit and miss
              procedure I followed..

              The REGSVR appears to run the switch up when deregistering/registering the
              BPQCtrl.ocx and so it needed
              the Bin file and access to the BPQ32.DLL .

              Pretty messy procedure in all.. Maybee it helps you understand what is
              really going on and therefore you can
              streamline it a bit further.

              You asked what programe I was using that was running the OCX interface. I
              was thinking Ui-View32 was under
              this banner. Perhaps not..

              Can you explain what is going on in the AGWtoBPQ interface with the
              "Listening sessions" and "Application masks" settings.
              I can not make much sense of this as yet but Ive done very limited testing
              with Connected frames.

              Tony VK5AH

              > From: "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@...>
              > Subject: OCX Registration procedure problem with W98SE
              >
              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hunt" <wavetel@i...> wrote:
              > ..
              > ..
              > I could not work out what was going on with the AGWtoBPQ.exe .. Not
              > much info on that that I could find.. It complained about the ocx not
              > being registered. I found the BAT files for that but they wont work
              > on WIN 98SE .. I copied the 2x OCX files to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM
              > folder with the batch files but still refused to run.. So I used the
              > RUN option from the windows start menu and typed the regsvr32
              > commands in manually from there. After a while it appears to have
              > registered the OCX files ok.. All good .. Maybee thats old ground but
              > I found it took a while to figure out.
              > ..
              > ..
              > Tony Hunt VK5AH
              >
              > Tony
              >
              > I have only tested BPQ32 on W2K and WXP and the registration batch
              > files work fine when executed from c:\Program Files\BPQ32\. It's
              > news to me that W95/W98/WME would require a different procedure.
              > Here are the batch files:
              >
              > RegSvrBpqOcx.bat:
              > regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx /u
              > regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx
              >
              > Regcswsk32.bat:
              > regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx /u
              > regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx
              >
              > What's needed is a single procedure that works on platforms from W95
              > thru WXP, I hope that someone on this forum has the answer and will
              > share it. Lacking that Ill try to find one of the old boxes this
              > weekend and do some searching for an answer.
              >
              > Ron, N5IN

            • Tony Hunt
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
                John . Ive forwarded direct to you a zipped copy of Digi_ned for Win. This
                one is Beta only at this stage but Henk is
                happy for you to mess with this .. Let me know if you have problems getting
                this and I will put it up on a web site and send you a URL if that helps.
                Its just over 1 Meg

                As I said its failing the callsign registration process. Its more likely
                that its the return response thats the problem.

                Just on this subject
                > AGWtoBPQ does process the 'X' command, but as BPQ32 has it's callsigns
                > predefined, it does nothing with the suppled call. So the callsign being
                > registered should be the BPQ Nodecall.

                I remember a while back working with Ted G8NPF on Sally and BPQ32 .
                He did some tricks with the RAW command (going from memory) to send unproto
                frames out with a callsign which was
                different to the Node Call. I dont understand the RAW command but I get the
                impression you can
                construct frames from the ground up with paths and callsigns etc. Perhaps
                this is an answer to being
                able to Register a callsign which does not match the NodeCall and send
                frames out with it ?

                Happy sailing John

                Tony VK5AH

                > I'll leave it to Ron to comment on the setup problems, as he wrote the
                batch
                > files and documentation.
                >
                > AGWtoBPQ does process the 'X' command, but as BPQ32 has it's callsigns
                > predefined, it does nothing with the suppled call. So the callsign being
                > registered should be the BPQ Nodecall. I haven't seen this cause problems
                > with other apps, but maybe Digi_Ned is more fussy. If you are able to send
                > me a copy of the Beta Digi_Ned (or even better a link to download it from,
                > as I am currently on a boat, and internet access can be a bit dodgy), I'll
                > investigate.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > John GM8BPQ/MM

              • Ron Stordahl
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
                  Tony

                  Your findings regarding REGSVR32.EXE in W98SE are very helpful. I was
                  not able to find a W98SE machine, but I did find a WME machine, and was
                  able to duplicate your findings. I have also been searching on
                  Microsofts site and so far have not come across anything that would
                  indicate that REGSVR32.EXE cannot be involked from a batch file. I
                  would have expected this would have been mentioned somewhere, as it
                  appears to be the case. So I am still researching this matter and if
                  nothing else will have to come up with instructions on how to do this
                  procedure 'by hand' on W95/W98/WME machines. Of course if someone can
                  find where Microsoft explains this it would be nice!

                  As to 'Listening Sesions' and 'Application Mask' in AGWtoBPQ.exe here is
                  a summary:

                  Application Mask is a bit mask applicable to the parm APPLICATIONS= in
                  bpqcfg.txt. The only non zero value currently functional is 1, which
                  corresponds to the first positional parm in APPLICATIONS=, which
                  corresponds to the 'BBS' user application (and the call BBSCALL=). An
                  example would be AR-Cluster, wherein the first positional parm would
                  sensibly be 'DX'. That is what you will find in the provided bpqcfg.txt
                  file. Values higher than 1 will require further enhancements to BPQ32
                  (you would need a BBSCALL1 a BBSCALL2). A nice enhancement for the
                  future, but for now defaulting this to 1 seems reasonable to me.

                  Listening Sessions is the maximum number of incoming connections. The
                  total number available is as I recall 63, however some are needed for
                  outgoing connections and apparently a couple for internal use (I don't
                  know the details on that). So I should probably have recommended a
                  larger number than 10, such as 32 (which I am pulling out of the air).
                  I think Ill change my set up to a higher number tomorrow.

                  Don't think Ill get much done on the REGSVR32 issue this weekend.....

                  Ron, N5IN