RE: [BPQ32] Trouble with "Real" Port

  • Gary - N3JPU
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006
      Up until the May beta release there was an issue with TNC2 that dropped data
      on the serial port. I am using BPQ32 with Winlink Classic just fine now,
      however my BPQ32 is not running on the Win98 box that Winlink is, it's on a
      Win2000 box connected via real serial ports.

      Gary Mitchelson
      N3JPU Montgomery Co. MD FM19
      USAF MARS and SHARES: AFA1PU/AFF1MD/AFF1M
      MD/DC State MARS Director
      http://www.mitchelson.org/

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006
        I am running everything on on win98 box. I have serial port 1 in KISS
        mode for the VHF TNC, and port 2 for the HF TNC, and port 3 for the
        scanner interface to the radio.

        There is no port 4, and ports 5 and 6 on are a PCI expansion card, and
        both ports are connected via a null modem cable.

        I define port 5 as a "Real" port in BPQTNC32, and then I set Winlink
        to use port6.

        Seems to be halfway working. Characters are getting dropped. This
        seems to be the only problem I am having. I have tried lowering the
        FIFO buffer, and I have also tried lower baud rates.

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Gary - N3JPU" <n3jpu@...> wrote:

        > Up until the May beta release there was an issue with TNC2 that
        dropped data
        > on the serial port. I am using BPQ32 with Winlink Classic just fine now,
        > however my BPQ32 is not running on the Win98 box that Winlink is,
        it's on a
        > Win2000 box connected via real serial ports.
        >
        > Gary Mitchelson
        > N3JPU Montgomery Co. MD FM19
        > USAF MARS and SHARES: AFA1PU/AFF1MD/AFF1M
        > MD/DC State MARS Director
        > http://www.mitchelson.org/

      • Gary - N3JPU

          I am running everything on on win98 box. I have serial port 1 in KISS mode
          for the VHF TNC, and port 2 for the HF TNC, and port 3 for the scanner
          interface to the radio.

          There is no port 4, and ports 5 and 6 on are a PCI expansion card, and both
          ports are connected via a null modem cable.

          I define port 5 as a "Real" port in BPQTNC32, and then I set Winlink to use
          port6.

          Seems to be halfway working. Characters are getting dropped. This seems to
          be the only problem I am having. I have tried lowering the FIFO buffer, and
          I have also tried lower baud rates.

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Gary - N3JPU" <n3jpu@...> wrote:

          > Up until the May beta release there was an issue with TNC2 that
          dropped data
          > on the serial port. I am using BPQ32 with Winlink Classic just fine
          > now, however my BPQ32 is not running on the Win98 box that Winlink is,
          it's on a
          > Win2000 box connected via real serial ports.
        • Robert
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2006
            I have a WinXP box, but it sometimes gets messed up for some reason.
            Also, I'm cheap and electricity is expensive around here...we had a
            22% rate hike in January. I really don't want to keep a machine
            running just to have BPQ. But maybe I'll change my mind.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
              Bob,

              Can you confirm you are running the latest (ie May) version, particularly bpqtnc2.exe? That fixed some lost data problems. If so, can you describe in more detail what you are seeing? Eg, is data lost in both directions, and if not, which one? Do you just loose occasional characters, or blocks? Does it only affect large messages, or can it be any? I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll look into the problem when I get back.

              Regards,

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                Yes, I am running the latest (May) version. I downloaded it from the
                files section of Yahoo Groups.

                I am seeing characters lost at least on the sending end of BPQ and
                the receiving port of Winlink, i.e., if I try to log in to a BBS,
                characters are dropped often, and in fact makes the text unreadable
                in places. The characters that do come through are correct. I do
                not know if there is a problem on the receive side of BPQ32. I do
                not have an analyzer.

                My thinking is maybe some characters are being sent too quickly.
                Also, I'm using a card that has two ports on it. Is it possible that
                they are sharing the same interrupt, kind of like if there was a COM2
                and COM4 port on a system, you can't use them both at the same time?

                Not sure, just throwing a couple of ideas out.

                > Bob,
                >
                > Can you confirm you are running the latest (ie May) version,
                particularly
                > bpqtnc2.exe? That fixed some lost data problems. If so, can you
                describe in
                > more detail what you are seeing? Eg, is data lost in both
                directions, and if
                > not, which one? Do you just loose occasional characters, or blocks?
                Does it
                > only affect large messages, or can it be any? I'm away from home at
                the
                > moment, but I'll look into the problem when I get back.
                >
                > Regards,

              • Gary - N3JPU
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 22, 2006
                  Anyone providing a SMTP/POP interface on their BPQ32?

                  I am looking for a way to forward out messages via e-mail from a Winlink 2.9
                  BBS. I am using BPQ32 with it right now for Telnet access but I'd like to
                  push Winlink messages out as e-mail too.