Trouble with "Real" Port

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
      I am using BPQ32 with Winlink Classic. I have the TNC working, and
      broadcasting my BBS call and node call on the network. Problem is, it
      looks like Serial Data is being dropped here and there. I'm looping
      two "Real" ports back on each other with a null modem cable?

      Am I doing this right? Should I turn down the FIFO settings very low
      so that the buffer doesn't overrun?

      Thanks,

      Bob
      AFA1ZD/KD1ZD
    • dshults
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <shmget1@...> wrote:

        > I am using BPQ32 with Winlink Classic. I have the TNC working, and
        > broadcasting my BBS call and node call on the network. Problem
        is, it
        > looks like Serial Data is being dropped here and there. I'm
        looping
        > two "Real" ports back on each other with a null modem cable?
        >
        > Am I doing this right? Should I turn down the FIFO settings very
        low
        > so that the buffer doesn't overrun?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bob
        > AFA1ZD/KD1ZD

        Hello Bob,
        Your configuration isn't quite clear to me.
        If you were to configure two Winlink packet ports such as com5 and
        com6 and run matching virtual ports using bpqtnc2, you could run
        your tnc in kiss mode and control it directly with a BPQ physical
        port. You also need to set up the same two com ports in VCOMconfig.
        Controlling a TNC with BPQ works much better than with a Winlink
        packet port, plus this provides a node and two BBS ports for your
        packet network.

        Or... are you attempting something totally different?

        73, Duane N7QDN
      • Gary - N3JPU
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006
          Up until the May beta release there was an issue with TNC2 that dropped data
          on the serial port. I am using BPQ32 with Winlink Classic just fine now,
          however my BPQ32 is not running on the Win98 box that Winlink is, it's on a
          Win2000 box connected via real serial ports.

          Gary Mitchelson
          N3JPU Montgomery Co. MD FM19
          USAF MARS and SHARES: AFA1PU/AFF1MD/AFF1M
          MD/DC State MARS Director
          http://www.mitchelson.org/

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006
            I am running everything on on win98 box. I have serial port 1 in KISS
            mode for the VHF TNC, and port 2 for the HF TNC, and port 3 for the
            scanner interface to the radio.

            There is no port 4, and ports 5 and 6 on are a PCI expansion card, and
            both ports are connected via a null modem cable.

            I define port 5 as a "Real" port in BPQTNC32, and then I set Winlink
            to use port6.

            Seems to be halfway working. Characters are getting dropped. This
            seems to be the only problem I am having. I have tried lowering the
            FIFO buffer, and I have also tried lower baud rates.

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Gary - N3JPU" <n3jpu@...> wrote:

            > Up until the May beta release there was an issue with TNC2 that
            dropped data
            > on the serial port. I am using BPQ32 with Winlink Classic just fine now,
            > however my BPQ32 is not running on the Win98 box that Winlink is,
            it's on a
            > Win2000 box connected via real serial ports.
            >
            > Gary Mitchelson
            > N3JPU Montgomery Co. MD FM19
            > USAF MARS and SHARES: AFA1PU/AFF1MD/AFF1M
            > MD/DC State MARS Director
            > http://www.mitchelson.org/

          • Gary - N3JPU

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2006
                I have a WinXP box, but it sometimes gets messed up for some reason.
                Also, I'm cheap and electricity is expensive around here...we had a
                22% rate hike in January. I really don't want to keep a machine
                running just to have BPQ. But maybe I'll change my mind.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                  Bob,

                  Can you confirm you are running the latest (ie May) version, particularly bpqtnc2.exe? That fixed some lost data problems. If so, can you describe in more detail what you are seeing? Eg, is data lost in both directions, and if not, which one? Do you just loose occasional characters, or blocks? Does it only affect large messages, or can it be any? I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll look into the problem when I get back.

                  Regards,

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                    Yes, I am running the latest (May) version. I downloaded it from the
                    files section of Yahoo Groups.

                    I am seeing characters lost at least on the sending end of BPQ and
                    the receiving port of Winlink, i.e., if I try to log in to a BBS,
                    characters are dropped often, and in fact makes the text unreadable
                    in places. The characters that do come through are correct. I do
                    not know if there is a problem on the receive side of BPQ32. I do
                    not have an analyzer.

                    My thinking is maybe some characters are being sent too quickly.
                    Also, I'm using a card that has two ports on it. Is it possible that
                    they are sharing the same interrupt, kind of like if there was a COM2
                    and COM4 port on a system, you can't use them both at the same time?

                    Not sure, just throwing a couple of ideas out.

                    > Bob,
                    >
                    > Can you confirm you are running the latest (ie May) version,
                    particularly
                    > bpqtnc2.exe? That fixed some lost data problems. If so, can you
                    describe in
                    > more detail what you are seeing? Eg, is data lost in both
                    directions, and if
                    > not, which one? Do you just loose occasional characters, or blocks?
                    Does it
                    > only affect large messages, or can it be any? I'm away from home at
                    the
                    > moment, but I'll look into the problem when I get back.
                    >
                    > Regards,

                  • Gary - N3JPU
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 22, 2006
                      Anyone providing a SMTP/POP interface on their BPQ32?

                      I am looking for a way to forward out messages via e-mail from a Winlink 2.9
                      BBS. I am using BPQ32 with it right now for Telnet access but I'd like to
                      push Winlink messages out as e-mail too.