For Info - RMS Packet Version 2.1.0.4 has been released

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
      The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their AutoUpdate system.

      From the Changelog:

      Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010

      Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following update.

      Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check after the application starts.

      Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP

      Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps files were marked read-only

      73,

      John G8BPQ

    • Jeff - WA4ZKO
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hooray we're getting release notes now!

        Now if we can jsut get them to include the version in the file names ;-) I know, nit picking.

        Will have to take a look at this one later today. I was seeing an odd bug with v2.1.0.3 and the node's WINMOR port ID'ing properly at the end of a RMS session.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO

        > The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their
        > AutoUpdate system.
        >
        > From the Changelog:
        >
        > Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010
        >
        > Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following
        > update.
        >
        > Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check after
        > the application starts.
        >
        > Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP
        >
        > Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps
        > files were marked read-only
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > John G8BPQ

      • Bill Erhardt
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
          Gm John,

          I just unchecked Non-delivery Notification.  My BPQ was down when I got up this morning.  Thanks for the update and will look at the RMS Software today...

          Bill K7MT
        • gervais
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
            what exactly is the use of "RMS packet" as an addon to my system for
            example?
            i may have already ask this question :-))))))) excuse me if i repeat myself
            i forgot the answer!!!!

            gervais ve2ckn

            > Now if we can jsut get them to include the version in the file names ;-) I
            > know, nit picking.
            >
            > Will have to take a look at this one later today. I was seeing an odd bug
            > with v2.1.0.3 and the node's WINMOR port ID'ing properly at the end of a
            > RMS session.
            >
            > 73
            > Jeff
            > WA4ZKO
            >
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their
            >> AutoUpdate system.
            >>
            >> From the Changelog:
            >>
            >> Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010
            >>
            >> Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following
            >> update.
            >>
            >> Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check
            >> after
            >> the application starts.
            >>
            >> Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP
            >>
            >> Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps
            >> files were marked read-only
            >>
            >> 73,
            >>
            >> John G8BPQ

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011

              Gervais

                              RMS Packet is the packet gateway for the Winlink system. RMS Packet can be an application accessible through BPQ, just like FBBS, BPQMail or BPQChat. In addition versions as of 11/16/2010 allow classic packet users access to the Winlink system, with sysop permission. Many EMCOMM orientated operators and sites are using this combination and it can be very portable for field use.

              73 Bill

              N9ACQ

            • Bill Erhardt
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                Hi Gervais,

                Bill Erhardt in Helena, Mt. K7MT.

                RMS Packet is a Winlink Programs that interfaces VHF Packet Radio to the internet so E-mail's can be sent/received.  You must register with Winlink to get a email address for routing  callsign@....  That way say I send an e-mail to my sister in North Dakoka and she replies, I pick it up on the Winlnk Site.  Pretty Cool...

                Here in Montana we are trying to get several RMS sites linked through Mountain Top X1J4 packet nodes. So say if the internet goes down in the Helena, Montana area (Local outage due to whatever) I can node hop to Missoula or Great Falls, Montana and still send and recieve e-mail.

                Another part is RMS packet can be interfaced with RMS HF using the RMS Relay program and if everything goes down you can still do email VHF to HF out of an area. Draw back I see is you must have a Pactor III Modem with this senerio.

                I use BPQ so I can route vhf traffice using Winmor on HF. Inexpensive way to accomplish same mission but it is slower on Winmor.  So there is give and take but it works..

                Hope this helps as I am fairly new to BPQ and all its capabilities and I am just having a blast...

                Cheers  Bill K7MT

              • Bill Erhardt
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Thanks for mentioning the portable field use Bill. I have used and tested it that way from my truck and Kenwood DM-700A.  Neat Stuff.

                  Bill K7MT
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011

                    Bill K7MT

                                    I keep a complete field portable station as backup, VHF, UHF &HF radios. 1200, 9600 packet and Pactor 3 capability. ALL programs installed on this portable and tested periodically.

                    73 Bill

                    N9ACQ

                  • gervais
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                      Bonsoir bill
                      well it sems quite a good application too add to any system,
                      some say that internet is verywhere but in fact you taking step too cover your area and this tool is great.
                      that's a way that represent ham-radio,helping people reaching people....

                      well maybe i could try it locally Visage émoticône))))))))

                      here i am one of the rare user of my packet network,many have left for their personnal reason,one of them is it was not reachable by emails so this way ,,,it resolved a problem.

                      felication,congratulation too the person ,or the team,that worked on that RMS software

                      73/s and best 2011
                      gervais
                      ve2ckn

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 5, 2011
                        Today's release of BPQMailChat should fix the problem with non-delivery notifications, so it is safe to re-enable them once you have updated.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 5, 2011
                          1.0.4.30 Install and running fine, Thanks John & Ron.

                          Mike-N9PMO