Re: [BPQ32] Re: BPQ 12/20 BPQMailChat fails

  • Ron Stordahl
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
      The present issue is not related to Vista/Win7 and UAC as you have determined.

      I went back to an earlier release of BPQ32/BPQMailChat and after a day installed the latest release, which so far has not failed.

      So the problem is a puzzler.

      Ron, AE5E

      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
        Message
        If you have problems with the latest release of BPQMailChat failing repeatedly within 2-3 minutes of starting, try disabling Non-delivery notifications. (in the Housekeeping config).

        This feature is new to this release, and I've just received a debug log pointing to this area of code.

        It might even be worth disabling them as a precaution, until I can verify if this is the problem, and if so fix it.

        73,
        John G8BPQ

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011

          Still running fine here.. I did uncheck that box as a precaution…

          Thanks John.. 73 jerry n9lya

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
            Message
            I can confirm that there is a problem with the Non-delivery notification mechanism, which is some cases can cause a repeating program error. If you are running version 1.0.4.28 or later, please disable it until I can release a fix.

            I apologies for any problems caused.

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
              Message
              The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their AutoUpdate system.

              From the Changelog:

              Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010

              Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following update.

              Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check after the application starts.

              Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP

              Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps files were marked read-only

              73,

              John G8BPQ

            • Jeff - WA4ZKO
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                Hooray we're getting release notes now!

                Now if we can jsut get them to include the version in the file names ;-) I know, nit picking.

                Will have to take a look at this one later today. I was seeing an odd bug with v2.1.0.3 and the node's WINMOR port ID'ing properly at the end of a RMS session.

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO

                > The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their
                > AutoUpdate system.
                >
                > From the Changelog:
                >
                > Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010
                >
                > Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following
                > update.
                >
                > Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check after
                > the application starts.
                >
                > Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP
                >
                > Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps
                > files were marked read-only
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > John G8BPQ

              • Bill Erhardt
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Gm John,

                  I just unchecked Non-delivery Notification.  My BPQ was down when I got up this morning.  Thanks for the update and will look at the RMS Software today...

                  Bill K7MT
                • gervais
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                    what exactly is the use of "RMS packet" as an addon to my system for
                    example?
                    i may have already ask this question :-))))))) excuse me if i repeat myself
                    i forgot the answer!!!!

                    gervais ve2ckn

                    > Now if we can jsut get them to include the version in the file names ;-) I
                    > know, nit picking.
                    >
                    > Will have to take a look at this one later today. I was seeing an odd bug
                    > with v2.1.0.3 and the node's WINMOR port ID'ing properly at the end of a
                    > RMS session.
                    >
                    > 73
                    > Jeff
                    > WA4ZKO
                    >
                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their
                    >> AutoUpdate system.
                    >>
                    >> From the Changelog:
                    >>
                    >> Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010
                    >>
                    >> Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following
                    >> update.
                    >>
                    >> Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check
                    >> after
                    >> the application starts.
                    >>
                    >> Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP
                    >>
                    >> Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps
                    >> files were marked read-only
                    >>
                    >> 73,
                    >>
                    >> John G8BPQ

                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011

                      Gervais

                                      RMS Packet is the packet gateway for the Winlink system. RMS Packet can be an application accessible through BPQ, just like FBBS, BPQMail or BPQChat. In addition versions as of 11/16/2010 allow classic packet users access to the Winlink system, with sysop permission. Many EMCOMM orientated operators and sites are using this combination and it can be very portable for field use.

                      73 Bill

                      N9ACQ

                    • Bill Erhardt
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                        Hi Gervais,

                        Bill Erhardt in Helena, Mt. K7MT.

                        RMS Packet is a Winlink Programs that interfaces VHF Packet Radio to the internet so E-mail's can be sent/received.  You must register with Winlink to get a email address for routing  callsign@....  That way say I send an e-mail to my sister in North Dakoka and she replies, I pick it up on the Winlnk Site.  Pretty Cool...

                        Here in Montana we are trying to get several RMS sites linked through Mountain Top X1J4 packet nodes. So say if the internet goes down in the Helena, Montana area (Local outage due to whatever) I can node hop to Missoula or Great Falls, Montana and still send and recieve e-mail.

                        Another part is RMS packet can be interfaced with RMS HF using the RMS Relay program and if everything goes down you can still do email VHF to HF out of an area. Draw back I see is you must have a Pactor III Modem with this senerio.

                        I use BPQ so I can route vhf traffice using Winmor on HF. Inexpensive way to accomplish same mission but it is slower on Winmor.  So there is give and take but it works..

                        Hope this helps as I am fairly new to BPQ and all its capabilities and I am just having a blast...

                        Cheers  Bill K7MT

                      • Bill Erhardt
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                          Thanks for mentioning the portable field use Bill. I have used and tested it that way from my truck and Kenwood DM-700A.  Neat Stuff.

                          Bill K7MT
                        • Bill
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011

                            Bill K7MT

                                            I keep a complete field portable station as backup, VHF, UHF &HF radios. 1200, 9600 packet and Pactor 3 capability. ALL programs installed on this portable and tested periodically.

                            73 Bill

                            N9ACQ

                          • gervais
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                              Bonsoir bill
                              well it sems quite a good application too add to any system,
                              some say that internet is verywhere but in fact you taking step too cover your area and this tool is great.
                              that's a way that represent ham-radio,helping people reaching people....

                              well maybe i could try it locally Visage émoticône))))))))

                              here i am one of the rare user of my packet network,many have left for their personnal reason,one of them is it was not reachable by emails so this way ,,,it resolved a problem.

                              felication,congratulation too the person ,or the team,that worked on that RMS software

                              73/s and best 2011
                              gervais
                              ve2ckn

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 5, 2011
                                Message
                                Today's release of BPQMailChat should fix the problem with non-delivery notifications, so it is safe to re-enable them once you have updated.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 5, 2011
                                  1.0.4.30 Install and running fine, Thanks John & Ron.

                                  Mike-N9PMO