Re: [BPQ32] Re: BPQ 12/20 BPQMailChat fails

  • Ken Jacobs
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 2, 2011
      Hi Jeff,

      Interesting....I have been running Outpost (v2.5 c014) since it came out with no problems. I am running XP Pro here and all seems well. In fact, I have lately been testing Outpost (v2.5 c016) for Jim, which incorporates the SP to multiple address feature of BPQMail and it appears to work fine. Will keep an eye on it, though....

      Ken KD6PGI
      Hood River County ARES

      On 1/2/2011 10:53 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO wrote:

      Thanks Jerry,

      Nothing firm yet, but I'm getting suspicious that the new version of Outpost is revealing a bug in there somewhere and maybe related to the first of the year time changeover.

      For those running the new Outpost (v2.5 c014) on top of BPQ32 w/ RMS Packet you might want to check your BPQMailChat BBS debug log files. Looks like the problem cropped up over the last couple days till things finally crashed this morning.

      I've shot some logs off to John for his review/thoughts.

      Will watch the node closer and time will tell.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO

      > Hi Jeff.
      >

      > For added info..
      >
      > All is ok here WIN2003 Server R2 BPQ32 RMS WINMORTNC ARCluster Outlook
      > Express
      >
      > No Outpost on this particular machine.
      >
      > As of 1PM EST 1-2-2011
      >
      > 73 jerry n9lya

    • n5in_ron
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 2, 2011
        I returned to the office and found that my BPQMailChat 1.0.4.28 had failed. I am not running RMS or Outpost or any such thing.

        I restarted it and it failed again promptly.

        I have reinstalled BPQ32_4.10p_20101208.exe and so far it appears to be OK. The installer was been designed to allow you to return to an earlier release, I have never had to use this feature but from the looks of it it works (going backwards I mean)! You don't have to set any special option for 'go back', it just happens. You will have to select the BPQMailChat choice...it can't read you mind (yet)!

        There well could be other problems, so I would say going back may result in other issues, but for the moment it looks promising.

        Ron, AE5E (ex N5IN)

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ken Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jeff,
        >
        > Interesting....I have been running Outpost (v2.5 c014) since it came out
        > with no problems. I am running XP Pro here and all seems well. In fact,
        > I have lately been testing Outpost (v2.5 c016) for Jim, which
        > incorporates the SP to multiple address feature of BPQMail and it
        > appears to work fine. Will keep an eye on it, though....
        >
        > Ken KD6PGI
        > Hood River County ARES
        >

        > On 1/2/2011 10:53 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks Jerry,
        > >
        > > Nothing firm yet, but I'm getting suspicious that the new version of
        > > Outpost is revealing a bug in there somewhere and maybe related to the
        > > first of the year time changeover.
        > >
        > > For those running the new Outpost (v2.5 c014) on top of BPQ32 w/ RMS
        > > Packet you might want to check your BPQMailChat BBS debug log files.
        > > Looks like the problem cropped up over the last couple days till
        > > things finally crashed this morning.
        > >
        > > I've shot some logs off to John for his review/thoughts.
        > >
        > > Will watch the node closer and time will tell.
        > >
        > > 73
        > > Jeff
        > > WA4ZKO
        > >
        > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jerry"
        > > <n9lya@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Jeff.
        > > >

        > > > For added info..
        > > >
        > > > All is ok here WIN2003 Server R2 BPQ32 RMS WINMORTNC ARCluster Outlook
        > > > Express
        > > >
        > > > No Outpost on this particular machine.
        > > >
        > > > As of 1PM EST 1-2-2011
        > > >
        > > > 73 jerry n9lya
        > > >

        > > > From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

      • n5in_ron
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 2, 2011
          I should have said..get the prior installer BPQ32_4.10p_20101208.exe in the files section of this group.

          Ron

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "n5in_ron" <ron_n5in@...> wrote:

          > I returned to the office and found that my BPQMailChat 1.0.4.28 had failed. I am not running RMS or Outpost or any such thing.
          >
          > I restarted it and it failed again promptly.
          >
          > I have reinstalled BPQ32_4.10p_20101208.exe and so far it appears to be OK. The installer was been designed to allow you to return to an earlier release, I have never had to use this feature but from the looks of it it works (going backwards I mean)! You don't have to set any special option for 'go back', it just happens. You will have to select the BPQMailChat choice...it can't read you mind (yet)!
          >
          > There well could be other problems, so I would say going back may result in other issues, but for the moment it looks promising.
          >
          > Ron, AE5E (ex N5IN)
          >

          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ken Jacobs <kd6pgi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Jeff,
          > >
          > > Interesting....I have been running Outpost (v2.5 c014) since it came out
          > > with no problems. I am running XP Pro here and all seems well. In fact,
          > > I have lately been testing Outpost (v2.5 c016) for Jim, which
          > > incorporates the SP to multiple address feature of BPQMail and it
          > > appears to work fine. Will keep an eye on it, though....
          > >
          > > Ken KD6PGI
          > > Hood River County ARES
          > >

          > > On 1/2/2011 10:53 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks Jerry,
          > > >
          > > > Nothing firm yet, but I'm getting suspicious that the new version of
          > > > Outpost is revealing a bug in there somewhere and maybe related to the
          > > > first of the year time changeover.
          > > >
          > > > For those running the new Outpost (v2.5 c014) on top of BPQ32 w/ RMS
          > > > Packet you might want to check your BPQMailChat BBS debug log files.
          > > > Looks like the problem cropped up over the last couple days till
          > > > things finally crashed this morning.
          > > >
          > > > I've shot some logs off to John for his review/thoughts.
          > > >
          > > > Will watch the node closer and time will tell.
          > > >
          > > > 73
          > > > Jeff
          > > > WA4ZKO
          > > >
          > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jerry"

        • Charles Brabham
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 2, 2011
            I have started a new Yahoo group for those who are interested in discussing and keeping up with what's going on with the HamRadioNet network, just now getting started.

            HRN stations use amateur radio exclusively, do not use message compression, and only carry a few bulletins which can only be entered into the system by HRN SYSOPs. The primary activity is P-mail, and collecting data for propagation studies, further down the road. The primary mission is an independent, global, all-ham radio digital network.

            HRN will also be incorporating Amateur Multicast Protocol for its first significant and regular use on HF, making HRN a two-mode network; HF Packet and PSK-63.

            With a drastically reduced load of bulletins, HRN should be able to move its messages very quickly and reliably, compared to the traditional Packet network. HF multicast will give us the global bulletin coverage that the original Packet network strove for, but never achieved in its heyday.

            With the traditional Packet net, anybody who can sort of figure out the software can be a SYSOP, and go on to cause great mischief. With the HamRadioNet, only registered SYSOPs may participate, and there is a positive mechanism for identifying and ousting troublemakers, the most important of which being a clear and plainly stated set of rules.

            With no internet links, message routing will once again be rational, and users will know that they are using an amateur radio service, as opposed to using an internet service with amateur radio hung onto it as a pathetic, parasitic afterthought.

            Note that HamRadioNet is in no way intended to replace or undermine the old Packet net, still loved on account of its warts as much as it is loved despite them. - The Packet network will always be an invaluble resource to HRN folks, - An established place to direct those who just can't seem to get the HamRadioNet mission.

            If you 'get it', and the idea of a fresh start for an amateur radio digital network sounds refreshing to you, then perhaps this new Yahoo group will be a good place to start.

            73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

            Prefer to use radio for your amateur radio communications? - Stop by at HamRadioNet.Org !

          • Jeff - WA4ZKO
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
              Ron

              Now that you've ran the older version, you might try installing the new version again and see if it takes off. That worked for me...along with leaving me with some head scratchin' on what the heck is going on.

              I didn't install the full BPQ32/BMC 12082010 install, just used a BPQMailChat.exe (v1.0.4.25) from a system I hadn't upgraded yet.

              John can probably elaborate on this, but I doubt it's good idea to get your node version and BMC version too far out of sync?

              In the case I've seen, BPQMaiChat will try to load in, IMMEDIATELY throw an error around the time I think it's parsing the message/user db's and it's game over. I had to shut the entire node down and retry things as it (BMC) was staying "stuck" in the BPQ32 systray icon.

              I'm also suspect (but haven't tested) that going into Control Panel, Regional & Language Settings, Customize, Date, and change Short Date Format to use MM/DD/YYYY might be a fix/workaround.

              I'm going to try and test the above theory here later this morning.

              Looking like it's pretty intermittent regarding what systems the glitch will strike. From Ken's (KD6PGI) posting...I don't think Outpost 2.5 is the culprit.

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO

            • Howard Z
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                Hi Ron,

                For years I have been installing BPQ and just about all my amateur radio software into C:\Amateur Radio Program Files\... to avoid problems. I also keep UAC turned off.

                So, the problem occurs despite being installed outside of the "C:\Program Files" directory tree. But, thanks for the suggestion.

                Howard

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ron Stordahl <ron_n5in@...> wrote:

                > The Vista and Windows-7, both 32 and 64 bit, represents a challenge, one that
                > could require some significant program changes.
                >
                > What I would recommend is to save your configuration files, then uninstall
                > BPQ32.
                >
                > Now reinstall, but rather than taking the default install location of c:\program
                > files\BPQ32, enter instead c:\Amateur Radio\BPQ32. This will get BPQ32 and it's
                > associated files out of c:\program files\ or c:\program files (86)\. Microsoft
                > applies certain restrictions in those directories which would require
                > significant changes in the design of BPQ32 to operate smoothly.
                >

                > I have taken this approach successfully with all of my Amateur Radio programs I
                > have installed on Vista/Win-7. But my experience is limited with Vista/Win-7 I
                > must admit.
                >
                > I would like to hear of your results. Depending upon the results you have as
                > well as reports from others I may modify the installer to detect an install
                > attempt on those OS's and make this location selection automatic.
                >
                > Ron, AE5E (ex N5IN)
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Ron Stordahl
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                  The present issue is not related to Vista/Win7 and UAC as you have determined.

                  I went back to an earlier release of BPQ32/BPQMailChat and after a day installed the latest release, which so far has not failed.

                  So the problem is a puzzler.

                  Ron, AE5E

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                    If you have problems with the latest release of BPQMailChat failing repeatedly within 2-3 minutes of starting, try disabling Non-delivery notifications. (in the Housekeeping config).

                    This feature is new to this release, and I've just received a debug log pointing to this area of code.

                    It might even be worth disabling them as a precaution, until I can verify if this is the problem, and if so fix it.

                    73,
                    John G8BPQ

                  • Jerry
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011

                      Still running fine here.. I did uncheck that box as a precaution…

                      Thanks John.. 73 jerry n9lya

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                        I can confirm that there is a problem with the Non-delivery notification mechanism, which is some cases can cause a repeating program error. If you are running version 1.0.4.28 or later, please disable it until I can release a fix.

                        I apologies for any problems caused.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                          The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their AutoUpdate system.

                          From the Changelog:

                          Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010

                          Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following update.

                          Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check after the application starts.

                          Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP

                          Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps files were marked read-only

                          73,

                          John G8BPQ

                        • Jeff - WA4ZKO
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                            Hooray we're getting release notes now!

                            Now if we can jsut get them to include the version in the file names ;-) I know, nit picking.

                            Will have to take a look at this one later today. I was seeing an odd bug with v2.1.0.3 and the node's WINMOR port ID'ing properly at the end of a RMS session.

                            73
                            Jeff
                            WA4ZKO

                            > The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their
                            > AutoUpdate system.
                            >
                            > From the Changelog:
                            >
                            > Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010
                            >
                            > Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following
                            > update.
                            >
                            > Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check after
                            > the application starts.
                            >
                            > Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP
                            >
                            > Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps
                            > files were marked read-only
                            >
                            > 73,
                            >
                            > John G8BPQ

                          • Bill Erhardt
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                              Gm John,

                              I just unchecked Non-delivery Notification.  My BPQ was down when I got up this morning.  Thanks for the update and will look at the RMS Software today...

                              Bill K7MT
                            • gervais
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                                what exactly is the use of "RMS packet" as an addon to my system for
                                example?
                                i may have already ask this question :-))))))) excuse me if i repeat myself
                                i forgot the answer!!!!

                                gervais ve2ckn

                                > Now if we can jsut get them to include the version in the file names ;-) I
                                > know, nit picking.
                                >
                                > Will have to take a look at this one later today. I was seeing an odd bug
                                > with v2.1.0.3 and the node's WINMOR port ID'ing properly at the end of a
                                > RMS session.
                                >
                                > 73
                                > Jeff
                                > WA4ZKO
                                >
                                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> The WL2K group have released a new version of RMS Packet via their
                                >> AutoUpdate system.
                                >>
                                >> From the Changelog:
                                >>
                                >> Rev 2.1.0.4 December 28, 2010
                                >>
                                >> Added additional clean-up when performing automatic restart following
                                >> update.
                                >>
                                >> Increase delay from 1 sec to 2 min before performing autoupdate check
                                >> after
                                >> the application starts.
                                >>
                                >> Add enhanced automatic updating using HTTP download rather than FTP
                                >>
                                >> Corrected problem where application would throw an exception if the .aps
                                >> files were marked read-only
                                >>
                                >> 73,
                                >>
                                >> John G8BPQ

                              • Bill
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011

                                  Gervais

                                                  RMS Packet is the packet gateway for the Winlink system. RMS Packet can be an application accessible through BPQ, just like FBBS, BPQMail or BPQChat. In addition versions as of 11/16/2010 allow classic packet users access to the Winlink system, with sysop permission. Many EMCOMM orientated operators and sites are using this combination and it can be very portable for field use.

                                  73 Bill

                                  N9ACQ

                                • Bill Erhardt
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                                    Hi Gervais,

                                    Bill Erhardt in Helena, Mt. K7MT.

                                    RMS Packet is a Winlink Programs that interfaces VHF Packet Radio to the internet so E-mail's can be sent/received.  You must register with Winlink to get a email address for routing  callsign@....  That way say I send an e-mail to my sister in North Dakoka and she replies, I pick it up on the Winlnk Site.  Pretty Cool...

                                    Here in Montana we are trying to get several RMS sites linked through Mountain Top X1J4 packet nodes. So say if the internet goes down in the Helena, Montana area (Local outage due to whatever) I can node hop to Missoula or Great Falls, Montana and still send and recieve e-mail.

                                    Another part is RMS packet can be interfaced with RMS HF using the RMS Relay program and if everything goes down you can still do email VHF to HF out of an area. Draw back I see is you must have a Pactor III Modem with this senerio.

                                    I use BPQ so I can route vhf traffice using Winmor on HF. Inexpensive way to accomplish same mission but it is slower on Winmor.  So there is give and take but it works..

                                    Hope this helps as I am fairly new to BPQ and all its capabilities and I am just having a blast...

                                    Cheers  Bill K7MT

                                  • Bill Erhardt
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                                      Thanks for mentioning the portable field use Bill. I have used and tested it that way from my truck and Kenwood DM-700A.  Neat Stuff.

                                      Bill K7MT
                                    • Bill
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011

                                        Bill K7MT

                                                        I keep a complete field portable station as backup, VHF, UHF &HF radios. 1200, 9600 packet and Pactor 3 capability. ALL programs installed on this portable and tested periodically.

                                        73 Bill

                                        N9ACQ

                                      • gervais
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 4, 2011
                                          Bonsoir bill
                                          well it sems quite a good application too add to any system,
                                          some say that internet is verywhere but in fact you taking step too cover your area and this tool is great.
                                          that's a way that represent ham-radio,helping people reaching people....

                                          well maybe i could try it locally Visage émoticône))))))))

                                          here i am one of the rare user of my packet network,many have left for their personnal reason,one of them is it was not reachable by emails so this way ,,,it resolved a problem.

                                          felication,congratulation too the person ,or the team,that worked on that RMS software

                                          73/s and best 2011
                                          gervais
                                          ve2ckn

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 5, 2011
                                            Today's release of BPQMailChat should fix the problem with non-delivery notifications, so it is safe to re-enable them once you have updated.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 5, 2011
                                              1.0.4.30 Install and running fine, Thanks John & Ron.

                                              Mike-N9PMO