FYI - new version of RMS Packet allows your HF ports to show in Winlink

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 24, 2010
      Not 100% sure what's going on here, but it looks like v2.1.0.3 is allowing your HF WINMOR (if you've got the data entered on that port) to show in the Winlink frequency listings:

      http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/status/HFStatus.aspx

      Maybe this is old news or something new? Not that it's bad either way, but figured folks might wish to be aware of it. May not even involve RMS Packet in particular, but changes on the CMS side of things.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 24, 2010
        Jeff,

        What call are you looking at?

        Since 2.0.1.0 you have been able to enter HF frrequencies. but they appear on the Packet Map/List. not the HF one.

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 24, 2010

          Jeff

                          Not a new feature. The RMS Packet .ini file is used for reporting of frequencies for all defined channels. Thus you may see some frequencies as 0.000 and speeds as 56000. One thing I have noticed in the channel reports is a speed of 1200 for HF frequencies. What may be the best idea is to use this field to indicate channel width 1500 or 450 as 10.133 @ 1200 gives no indication of which bandwidth is used.

          73 Bill

          N9ACQ

        • Jeff - WA4ZKO
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 24, 2010
            John,

            Example: I don't think Ken KD6PGI or Matt KB8UVN are RMS WINMOR sites, but they are showing on the Winlink HF frequency listing. They are also showing in the RMS Express channel listings.

            Few others in there too, sort the HF list and look for the sites w/ no version being reported.

            Again, no biggie...just for sysop awareness. Maybe it's not so new, but the first time I've noticed it. Good thing for most. Some BPQ32 nodes may not wish to be listed there.

            73
            Jeff
            WA4ZKO

            > Jeff,
            >
            > What call are you looking at?
            >
            > Since 2.0.1.0 you have been able to enter HF frrequencies. but they appear
            > on the Packet Map/List. not the HF one.

          • Jeff - WA4ZKO
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 24, 2010
              The 0.000 "cosmetic" issue can be cured by going through each port in RMS Packet and setting the same frequency, baud, power, and antenna fields on each non-RF port.

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 24, 2010
                Jeff,

                Ken, Matt and one or two others are running WINMOR and/or Pactor linked to RMS Packet, and BPQ32 is reporting their frequencies to the HF winlink map. The advantage is that they then appear in the RMS Express Station Selection list. As you say, some stations may not want this, so the reporting is optional.

                Example: I don't think Ken KD6PGI or Matt KB8UVN are RMS WINMOR sites, but they are showing on the Winlink HF frequency listing. They are also showing in the RMS Express channel listings.

                Few others in there too, sort the HF list and look for the sites w/ no version being reported.

                Again, no biggie...just for sysop awareness. Maybe it's not so new, but the first time I've noticed it. Good thing for most. Some BPQ32 nodes may not wish to be listed there.

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO

                > Jeff,
                >
                > What call are you looking at?
                >
                > Since 2.0.1.0 you have been able to enter HF frrequencies. but they appear
                > on the Packet Map/List. not the HF one.

              • Jerry
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 24, 2010

                  Hi John How does one set theirs to report..?

                  73 Jerry

                  Merry Christmas to all..

                  Ken, Matt and one or two others are running WINMOR and/or Pactor linked to RMS Packet, and BPQ32 is reporting their frequencies to the HF winlink map. The advantage is that they then appear in the RMS Express Station Selection list. As you say, some stations may not want this, so the reporting is optional.

                  Example: I don't think Ken KD6PGI or Matt KB8UVN are RMS WINMOR sites, but they are showing on the Winlink HF frequency listing. They are also showing in the RMS Express channel listings.

                  Few others in there too, sort the HF list and look for the sites w/ no version being reported.

                  Again, no biggie...just for sysop awareness. Maybe it's not so new, but the first time I've noticed it. Good thing for most. Some BPQ32 nodes may not wish to be listed there.

                  73
                  Jeff
                  WA4ZKO

                  > Jeff,
                  >
                  > What call are you looking at?
                  >
                  > Since 2.0.1.0 you have been able to enter HF frrequencies. but they appear
                  > on the Packet Map/List. not the HF one.

                • marc_pd4u
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 25, 2010
                    And the "cure" for the cosmetic issue, is the means to get differenet frequencies listed on the winlink site. But the thing is they only appear as packet connections, though a winmor port might have been used.

                    But the ports defined under "file/Packet Channels/Define Remote Ports" are listed at http://www.winlink.org/RMSpacketStatus, and thus the not defined ports are listed as frequency 0.000

                    But it is possible to be listed on the HF list at the WL2K site too as a HF station at http://www.winlink.org/RMSHFStatus, as KE7XO-10 shows and even as a WINMOR station it seems, if you have a winmor port too that get´s acces to the Winlink CMS via RMS Packet. See http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/status/RMSDetails.aspx?callsign=KE7XO&stationcall=KE7XO-10

                    Maybe John can tell more about this... off list.. HI... For those with a serious commitment to bring a `reliable` BPQ~WINMOR server on air.

                    Hey! It´s Christmas! Wonders have occurred before during these days... they say.

                    Marc

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                    > The 0.000 "cosmetic" issue can be cured by going through each port in RMS Packet and setting the same frequency, baud, power, and antenna fields on each non-RF port.
                    >
                    > 73
                    > Jeff
                    > WA4ZKO
                    >
                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <n9acq@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Jeff
                    > >
                    > > Not a new feature. The RMS Packet .ini file is used for
                    > > reporting of frequencies for all defined channels. Thus you may see some
                    > > frequencies as 0.000 and speeds as 56000. One thing I have noticed in the
                    > > channel reports is a speed of 1200 for HF frequencies. What may be the best
                    > > idea is to use this field to indicate channel width 1500 or 450 as 10.133 @
                    > > 1200 gives no indication of which bandwidth is used.
                    > >
                    > > 73 Bill
                    > >
                    > > N9ACQ

                  • marc_pd4u
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 25, 2010
                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                      > Example: I don't think Ken KD6PGI or Matt KB8UVN are RMS WINMOR sites, but they are showing on the Winlink HF frequency listing. They are also showing in the RMS Express channel listings.
                      >
                      > Few others in there too, sort the HF list and look for the sites w/ no version being reported.

                      Indeed the RMS packet stations, with a winmor port, show up with SSID -10. And they `should` be listed in order to apeear on the Channels list of RMS Express.

                      And they `can` be listed, and thus probably will also appear on the RMS Express WINMOR Channels list, as several stations with SSID -10 show.

                      Great!

                      Marc