Re: locked route links

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2006
      No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests. It does send node
      broadcasts however. But it's the receiving side which decides which
      ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
      That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality (if
      it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if it
      does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving). Then for
      those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
      determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.

      I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
      QUALITY. I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
      tables. This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
      higher values. As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
      lower than QUALITY. You may not want to do it this way. I will as a
      test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up with
      in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.

      I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I think
      that fear is not well founded.

      Ron, N5IN
      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

      > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the minimum),
      > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
      > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at the 'node
      > broadcast interval' ?
      >
      > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of 255 and
      > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor window
      > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the partner
      node.

      > - Mark K2CAN

    • abertheaume
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18, 2006
        Ron,
        I have a question regarding your method of control here. You
        write..

        <snip>
        "This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
        > higher values."
        <end snip>

        My question being, if you "lock" a route, don't you continue to
        broadcast that route/node combination even if it is offline?

        73
        Art, N9ZZK

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@...>
        wrote:

        > No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests. It does send node
        > broadcasts however. But it's the receiving side which decides
        which
        > ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
        > That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality
        (if
        > it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if
        it
        > does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving). Then for
        > those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
        > determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.
        >
        > I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
        > QUALITY. I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
        > tables. This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
        > higher values. As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
        > lower than QUALITY. You may not want to do it this way. I will
        as a
        > test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up
        with
        > in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.
        >
        > I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I
        think
        > that fear is not well founded.
        >
        > Ron, N5IN
        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@> wrote:
        > >
        > > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the
        minimum),
        > > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
        > > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at
        the 'node
        > > broadcast interval' ?
        > >
        > > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of
        255 and
        > > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor
        window
        > > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the
        partner
        > node.
        > >
        > > - Mark K2CAN

      • David Calder
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2006

                      Yes you do. I used to do this on routes the "never" changed and it came back and haunted me one
                      day. I just set the quality now.

             David Calder
          n4zkf@...
          www.n4zkf.com
          bbs.n4zkf.com
          packet bbs
          dxc.n4zkf.com
          DX cluster node

          wrote:

          > No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests.  It does send node
          > broadcasts however.  But it's the receiving side which decides
          which
          > ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
          > That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality
          (if
          > it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if
          it
          > does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving).  Then for
          > those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
          > determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.
          >
          > I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
          > QUALITY.  I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
          > tables.  This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
          > higher values.  As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
          > lower than QUALITY.  You may not want to do it this way.  I will
          as a
          > test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up
          with
          > in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.
          >
          > I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I
          think
          > that fear is not well founded.
          >
          > Ron, N5IN
          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@> wrote:
          > >
          > > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the
          minimum),
          > > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
          > > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at
          the 'node
          > > broadcast interval' ?
          > >
          > > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of
          255 and
          > > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor
          window
          > > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the
          partner
          > node.
          > >
          > > - Mark K2CAN

        • Mark Harloff
          Message 4 of 6 , May 19, 2006
            Dave,

            What do you 'set the quality now' to ?

            Please let us know the Global and 'locked' settings and how you chose
            those. That would be a big help.

            - Mark K2CAN