Re: [BPQ32] locked route links

  • Danny
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2006
      i dont think this is the case with bpq.
      with xrouter you should get what you say..
      the node connects tho the neigbour to send the nodes..

      as far as i know bpq does not do this..

      but i don't know for sure becouse now i'm talkin abouit old bpq and not
      bpq32 maybe bpq32 also supports inp3.

      Danny pd0snk

      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2006
        No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests. It does send node
        broadcasts however. But it's the receiving side which decides which
        ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
        That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality (if
        it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if it
        does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving). Then for
        those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
        determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.

        I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
        QUALITY. I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
        tables. This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
        higher values. As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
        lower than QUALITY. You may not want to do it this way. I will as a
        test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up with
        in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.

        I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I think
        that fear is not well founded.

        Ron, N5IN
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

        > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the minimum),
        > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
        > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at the 'node
        > broadcast interval' ?
        >
        > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of 255 and
        > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor window
        > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the partner
        node.

        > - Mark K2CAN

      • abertheaume
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2006
          Ron,
          I have a question regarding your method of control here. You
          write..

          <snip>
          "This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
          > higher values."
          <end snip>

          My question being, if you "lock" a route, don't you continue to
          broadcast that route/node combination even if it is offline?

          73
          Art, N9ZZK

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@...>
          wrote:

          > No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests. It does send node
          > broadcasts however. But it's the receiving side which decides
          which
          > ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
          > That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality
          (if
          > it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if
          it
          > does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving). Then for
          > those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
          > determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.
          >
          > I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
          > QUALITY. I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
          > tables. This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
          > higher values. As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
          > lower than QUALITY. You may not want to do it this way. I will
          as a
          > test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up
          with
          > in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.
          >
          > I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I
          think
          > that fear is not well founded.
          >
          > Ron, N5IN
          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@> wrote:
          > >
          > > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the
          minimum),
          > > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
          > > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at
          the 'node
          > > broadcast interval' ?
          > >
          > > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of
          255 and
          > > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor
          window
          > > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the
          partner
          > node.
          > >
          > > - Mark K2CAN

        • David Calder
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2006

                        Yes you do. I used to do this on routes the "never" changed and it came back and haunted me one
                        day. I just set the quality now.

               David Calder
            n4zkf@...
            www.n4zkf.com
            bbs.n4zkf.com
            packet bbs
            dxc.n4zkf.com
            DX cluster node

            wrote:

            > No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests.  It does send node
            > broadcasts however.  But it's the receiving side which decides
            which
            > ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
            > That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality
            (if
            > it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if
            it
            > does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving).  Then for
            > those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
            > determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.
            >
            > I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
            > QUALITY.  I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
            > tables.  This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
            > higher values.  As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
            > lower than QUALITY.  You may not want to do it this way.  I will
            as a
            > test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up
            with
            > in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.
            >
            > I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I
            think
            > that fear is not well founded.
            >
            > Ron, N5IN
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the
            minimum),
            > > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
            > > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at
            the 'node
            > > broadcast interval' ?
            > >
            > > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of
            255 and
            > > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor
            window
            > > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the
            partner
            > node.
            > >
            > > - Mark K2CAN

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 6 , May 19, 2006
              Dave,

              What do you 'set the quality now' to ?

              Please let us know the Global and 'locked' settings and how you chose
              those. That would be a big help.

              - Mark K2CAN