locked route links

  • Mark Harloff
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2006
      If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the minimum),
      shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
      broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at the 'node
      broadcast interval' ?

      I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of 255 and
      rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor window
      from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the partner node.

      - Mark K2CAN
    • Danny
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2006
        i dont think this is the case with bpq.
        with xrouter you should get what you say..
        the node connects tho the neigbour to send the nodes..

        as far as i know bpq does not do this..

        but i don't know for sure becouse now i'm talkin abouit old bpq and not
        bpq32 maybe bpq32 also supports inp3.

        Danny pd0snk

        If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the minimum),
        shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
        broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at the 'node
        broadcast interval' ?

        I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of 255 and
        rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor window
        from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the partner node.

        - Mark K2CAN

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Ron Stordahl N5IN
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2006
          No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests. It does send node
          broadcasts however. But it's the receiving side which decides which
          ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
          That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality (if
          it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if it
          does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving). Then for
          those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
          determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.

          I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
          QUALITY. I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
          tables. This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
          higher values. As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
          lower than QUALITY. You may not want to do it this way. I will as a
          test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up with
          in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.

          I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I think
          that fear is not well founded.

          Ron, N5IN
          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:

          > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the minimum),
          > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
          > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at the 'node
          > broadcast interval' ?
          >
          > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of 255 and
          > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor window
          > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the partner
          node.

          > - Mark K2CAN

        • abertheaume
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2006
            Ron,
            I have a question regarding your method of control here. You
            write..

            <snip>
            "This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
            > higher values."
            <end snip>

            My question being, if you "lock" a route, don't you continue to
            broadcast that route/node combination even if it is offline?

            73
            Art, N9ZZK

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@...>
            wrote:

            > No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests. It does send node
            > broadcasts however. But it's the receiving side which decides
            which
            > ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
            > That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality
            (if
            > it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if
            it
            > does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving). Then for
            > those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
            > determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.
            >
            > I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
            > QUALITY. I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
            > tables. This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
            > higher values. As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
            > lower than QUALITY. You may not want to do it this way. I will
            as a
            > test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up
            with
            > in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.
            >
            > I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I
            think
            > that fear is not well founded.
            >
            > Ron, N5IN
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the
            minimum),
            > > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
            > > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at
            the 'node
            > > broadcast interval' ?
            > >
            > > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of
            255 and
            > > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor
            window
            > > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the
            partner
            > node.
            > >
            > > - Mark K2CAN

          • David Calder
            Message 5 of 6 , May 18, 2006

                          Yes you do. I used to do this on routes the "never" changed and it came back and haunted me one
                          day. I just set the quality now.

                 David Calder
              n4zkf@...
              www.n4zkf.com
              bbs.n4zkf.com
              packet bbs
              dxc.n4zkf.com
              DX cluster node

              wrote:

              > No, BPQ32 does not sent connect requests.  It does send node
              > broadcasts however.  But it's the receiving side which decides
              which
              > ones are of high enough quality to enter into it's own node tables.
              > That is dependendent upon the receiving sides Locked route quality
              (if
              > it has one for the node it is receiving), the default QUALITY (if
              it
              > does not have a locked one for the node it is receiving).  Then for
              > those subnodes it receives in such a broadcast the parm MINQUAL
              > determines if such subnodes will be added to it's tables.
              >
              > I see that in my example configurations I have MINQUAL equal to
              > QUALITY.  I do so to strictly control what nodes end up in my nodes
              > tables.  This works because I lock routes for the nodes I want at
              > higher values.  As a result I have no nodes in my tables with a Q
              > lower than QUALITY.  You may not want to do it this way.  I will
              as a
              > test lower MINQUAL to say 168 and see how many entries I end up
              with
              > in my nodes tables...might not be too many after all.
              >
              > I was concerned at one time about too large a nodes table, but I
              think
              > that fear is not well founded.
              >
              > Ron, N5IN
              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Mark Harloff <mharloff@> wrote:
              > >
              > > If a route is locked at a high enough quality (above the
              minimum),
              > > shouldn't the node send out a connect request (and a node list
              > > broadcast) to that locked node at startup or, atleast at
              the 'node
              > > broadcast interval' ?
              > >
              > > I setup a new node partner as a locked route with a quality of
              255 and
              > > rebooted the switch but I don't see any attempts in the monitor
              window
              > > from my node to try to connect (or send a broadcast) to the
              partner
              > node.
              > >
              > > - Mark K2CAN

            • Mark Harloff
              Message 6 of 6 , May 19, 2006
                Dave,

                What do you 'set the quality now' to ?

                Please let us know the Global and 'locked' settings and how you chose
                those. That would be a big help.

                - Mark K2CAN