Re: [BPQ32] Mike N9PMO Lost internet Connection

  • DEC
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
      Just add a switch to one port of the router. It will work fine.

      David Calder
      Southeastern Territory Supervisor
      American Tower Corporation
      386-316-5211
      386-239-0619 fax

      On Dec 8, 2010, at 2:04 PM, "Mike Melnik" <mmelnik1@...> wrote:

      Hi Mark

      The Router for the packet stuff is a D-Link DI-604 it may be time to replace
      It, not easy to find routers with enough ports available I need about 15-20

      Thanks-73

      Mike Melnik-N9PMO
      Web WWW.N9PMO.com
      Group Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
        Hi Dave
        That may not be a bad idea, but I first should explain the setup, first
        Is the Cable Modem, then into the DI-604 also a Linksys Wireless Router
        Connected to the DI-604, the wireless router is for all of my son's games
        etc.
        All of these are located in my Son's room, a CAT 6 cable from the DI-604
        goes
        To a Netgear switch in the Radio room for three computers all with a static
        LAN address, The Linksys doesn't have enough ports for all of my packet
        applications.

        The Netgear switch is also new, I replaced it when I first started having
        this problem.

        Will try switching ports on the D-Link, how ever it is about 3 years old now
        before and has
        The latest firmware update, no longer supported by D-Link.

        The other thing that crossed my mind is the D-Link is also the DYNDNS Host
        updater
        No Software, this may be failing How ever most of us I assume are using the
        AUTOADDMAP Function in AXIP.CFG, so as long As I am sending my IP there
        shouldn't
        Be a problem with it coming back, and I also have a STATIC WAN Address.

        To be on the safe side I am going too install the DNS Software updater.

        Thanks-73

        Mike Melnik-N9PMO
        Web WWW.N9PMO.com
        Group Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/

        Not sure what you have there. But, Linksys
        routers are notorious for doing that.

        - Mark K2CAN

        On 12/8/2010 8:45 AM, Mike Melnik wrote:
        > Thanks Bill & Jerry for the heads up, this has
        > been an ongoing problem here
        > I have to remotely restart the router then all
        > is well for a while.
        >
        > Mike Melnik-N9PMO
        > Web WWW.N9PMO.com
        > Group Moderator
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010

          I have a Linksys wrt54GL running DD_WRT V24 SP2 Firmware and never had the first problem on any of the three I have here.… 1 is my main router the other two are Client Bridges.

          I could set you up with one.. I quit using Linksys Firmware 5+ years ago… Jerry

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010

            Also it’s a wireless router you could get rid of your D-LINK and the other Linksys wireless device. www.dd-wrt.com

            Also read at www.linksysinfo.org

            I always replace the links firmware with DD-WRT firmware straight out of the box…

            Everyone in my family has one of these… 73 jerry

            I have a Linksys wrt54GL running DD_WRT V24 SP2 Firmware and never had the first problem on any of the three I have here.… 1 is my main router the other two are Client Bridges.

            I could set you up with one.. I quit using Linksys Firmware 5+ years ago… Jerry

            Not sure what you have there. But, Linksys
            routers are notorious for doing that.

            - Mark K2CAN

            On 12/8/2010 8:45 AM, Mike Melnik wrote:
            > Thanks Bill & Jerry for the heads up, this has
            > been an ongoing problem here
            > I have to remotely restart the router then all
            > is well for a while.
            >
            > Mike Melnik-N9PMO
            > Web WWW.N9PMO.com
            > Group Moderator
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
              Jerry,

              I run that router too for the LAN here for the
              personal computers in the house..(BPQ, ARC, a
              Web Server and a WX Server are all connected
              outside the router via a hub).
              I could never get incoming links on BPQ to stay
              up and had Users constantly get disconnected
              from the Cluster so I bypassed the router for
              that machine.
              I suspected the problem was the fault of the
              Linksys firmware. Your experience with the
              DD-WRT firmware helps confirm that. Converting
              to the DD-WRT firmware would certainly be a good
              idea for those running 54GL's.
              In any event, I no longer have those problems
              since I am not going through a router anymore
              for the above services.

              Thanks for the info.

              - Mark K2CAN

              On 12/8/2010 4:02 PM, Jerry wrote:
              > I have a Linksys wrt54GL running DD_WRT V24 SP2
              > Firmware and never had the first problem on any
              > of the three I have here.? 1 is my main router
              > the other two are Client Bridges.
              >
              > I could set you up with one.. I quit using
              > Linksys Firmware 5+ years ago? Jerry

              This email was scanned by VIPRE version 4.0.3904 when it was sent, using definitions version 7565
            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010
                Hi Mark...

                I had all kinds of link problems also the very limited port forwarding with
                the original Linksys firmware...
                DD-WRT opens a whole new world of router capabilities...

                I set one up at both my Boys house as a Repeater with outdoor roof top
                antennas and now they can connect to any "OPEN" WiFi Signal from home...

                ISP bills are gone...

                And talk about stable...

                I stay away from the beta releases unless they offer a new enhanced feature
                I want to try and then if it proves worthy.. I may run with it... I am
                running the latest on the repeaters as it seems really stable..

                Any I will get back to on topic discussion...

                Anyone wanting to do some BBS forwarding or RMS LINKING VIA WINMOR from 80
                thru 10 meters???????

                73 jerry n9lya

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 8, 2010

                    Hi Dave… Cool.. I did the heat sink and overclocking as well. Have a couple outdoor antennas.. Can sit anywhere in the neighborhood with my laptop or smartphone…

                    Good idea.. I could setup a spare unit completely drop n place…

                    I have not had any failures.. but that’s a possibility…

                    I have one I added the serial ports to… As well as the memory card… I just play around with it for fun at this point..

                    Hey a good question came my way…

                    How can I tell with BPQ-RMS is working correctly? I connect to a station via WINMOR for rms exchange.. But I am not sure what to look for to see if it is working correctly>?

                    73 jerry