RE: [BPQ32] Heads up: Recent AVG AV update crashing Win 7 64 bit - SAV/NAV notes

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010

      Thanks Dave…

      73 Jerry

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of DEC
      Sent: Friday, December 03, 2010 12:57 PM
      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [BPQ32] Heads up: Recent AVG AV update crashing Win 7 64 bit - SAV/NAV notes

      Vipre all the way! After 12 years of owning a computer store and being an ISP, I think Vipre is the best one I have found. The fastest, uses the lease amount of memory. I love it.

      I gave up on the rest long ago. They also don't rape you on the price and have a site license so I have it on 9 machines.

      N4zkf

      On Dec 3, 2010, at 8:21 AM, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

      All reports seem to point to Win 7 64bit (and maybe Vista 64 bit) systems are the ones being impacted by a recent AVG update.

      http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-4079#num-4079

      http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=133337

      McAfee blowing systems up, now AVG. Doesn't say much for their QA processes eh?

      I've also been seeing lots of "corruption" on reboot issues with systems running older versions of Norton/Symantec Corporate AV. Suspect that it involves those versions unable to deal with the size of the new signature file updates. System running fine, reboot and you find yourself with corrupt system hive or other issues. Also seen reports of CPU pegged on these systems. SAV/NAV at fault = ?, but seems to be the common denominator.

      I think the SAV 8.x series stopped updating a few weeks ago. For folks running older versions you might want to check to see if it's updating and take a fresh registry/System state backup ;-)

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
      "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
      Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
      http://twitter.com/wa4zko

    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
        It works great here. Running it on 3 machines at
        home and two at work. Fast and uses very little
        resources as Dave mentioned. I've had it running
        on both XP and Vista with absolutely no problems
        or hassles for some time now.

        - Mark K2CAN

      • Bill Erhardt
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010

          Howdy from Bill K7MT Helena, Mt.

          Yep, I updated to the AVG 2011 about two weeks ago and its been running just fine on Windows XP IBM T43 Laptop..

          Happy Holidaze !!!

          Bill

        • Tony
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
            Greetings all,

            I can use some much needed help getting the BBS running with BPQ32; I
            have no idea how to set it up. The program is currently working with my
            SCS Tracker DSP modem via AGW.

            I used the "Large With AWG" configuration file to get it going and it's
            working fine after some tweaking to suit HF.

            I currently run a part-time node on HF "Network 105" and I was wondering
            if I can configured BPQ so that the HF port does not require the "C
            PORTNUM CALLSIGN" command?

            I tried changing that port to zero (it's on P2 now) and that seemed to
            cause problems so I must be missing something.

            Thanks for all,

            Tony -K2MO
          • Andy obrien

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2010
                Tony,

                No - if you have more than one port you must tell it which one to use. Why is this a problem?

                .

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2010
                  John Wiseman wrote:

                  > Tony, No - if you have more than one port you must tell it which one
                  > to use. Why is this a problem? 73, John .

                  I tried changing the port numbers (PORTNUM) in the configuration file
                  and this would cause an error. I could not connect on the revised port
                  number. All works fine when changing the ports back to their original
                  configuration. I'm assuming there's more to it than just swapping port
                  numbers?

                  Ports are as follows:

                  1 AX/IP/UDP
                  2 HF 14105.0 KHz
                  3 VHF 145.050 MHZ

                  Ports 1 and 3 are not in use at this time.

                  Thanks,

                  Tony -K2MO

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2010
                    Changing port numbers with PORTNUM= should work, but be careful not to end up wth two ports with the same number. Also you will still have to give a port number in the connect. The only way to avoid that is to have only one port.