New to BPQ 32

  • k7mt
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2010
      Howdy from Bill K7MT Helena, Mt.

      I am new to BPQ32 and have a couple questions I cannot find an answer in the documentation:
      1. Can an RF station connect to a BBS say in Kentucky through my Switch. I notice a nice BBS with AMSAT and ARRL Bulletins so could a RF station connect to my BPQ Switch, then connect to the BBS via the internet and read say Keps to update the Wisp program ???

      2. I will have RMS Packet, MailBox, and internet on the switch for now using Kantronics KPC-2 - DVR 2-2 Radio 145.010. When I set this up can i have all three RMS Packet, Internet, local BBS on the one TNC. I don't quite undertand the virtual TNC concept yet but believe that is how I hook up all three to one real tnc ???

      I look forward to learning and activating my BPQ 32 Switch here in Helena, Mt. with the 3 on 145.010, APRS Igate on 144.390 APRS Plus SA, and SGate ISS NO-44 and the new one when its activated for APRS on 145.800. I am on Solar/batteries 24/7.

      I used Airmail at McMurdo Station Antarctica the two season I was there on WinLink and this new digital stuff is sure fun....

      I look forward to fun times.

      Bill K7MT

      http://www.k7mt.com Pics of McMurdo Station and the Ham Shack if interested.
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2010

        Bill

        Not a BPQ guru but I run BPQ and REMS Relay behind BPQ. BPQ can also use any BBs that allows a connection to BPQ. The recent version of BPQ includes both a BBS and a chat capability. FBBS can also be used with BPQ. All functions can use one or more TNCs with BPQ directing the packet frame to the specified application which must have a unique call sign –SSID . If you use AGW to control one or more TNCs then you can also have client programs available using the one or more TNCs. BPQ stations can be exchange and use other BPQ nodes via the internet.

        73 Bill

        N9ACQ

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2010
          Hi Bill,

          A station can connect to your node on RF, then connect to other BBS systems via AXIP links running over the Internet. Or you could set up a link to the BBS in Kentucky and ask him to forward the AMSAT and ARRL Bulletins to your BBS, so your users can read them on your BBS.

          One TNC can be used to access several applications. You can either set up each application with a different SSID, so, your example a user would connect to K7MT-1 for your BBS, K7MT-2 for your Chat Node, K7MT-10 for RMS Packet, or the user could connect to the Node callsign, then select the application (eg BBS, RMS, etc).

          I see from your web site that you also use Winmor. BPQ32 can also use the Winmor TNC. Users could connect to your RMS Packet system on HF via Winmor, or you could send messages from your BBS to other BBS or RMS Winmor stations.

          I don't know much about APRS Plus Sa, but people have used UIVIew32 as an I Gate with BPQ32.

          Good luck, and please ask if you need any help setting up the system.

          73,
          John G8BPQ

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2010
            GM John,

            Thanks for the nice and quick reponse.

            Cool !! Looks like BPQ 32 will do all that I am putting together.

            APRS Plus SA by Brent Hildebrand is my APRS IGATE software and have been using it for years. I need to use AWGP software to interfact APRS plus SA then to BPQ 32. Brent has a AWG interface for his software.  He no longer supports it as Delorme changed their format so Brent could not interface their street Atlas Software. Long story but was sad to see. I use Street Atalas version 9.0 of the old style and its about 7 years old. However, here in Montana not much changes with roads etc so I am sure its good for a while.

            I downloaded BPQ 32 and fired it up for first look this morning and at least I have the terminal running !!!! Will look at rest this weekend and try to interface a KPC-3 etc and try to set up RMS Packet, AWG for APRS Plus SA, BBS, and chat.  I will do BBS locally for now but will look at expansion later on.  This is too much fun John....

            Happy Holidaze from Bill in Helena, Mt. and again thanks and I am sure I will have some questions.

            Bill K7MT Helena, Mt.

          • Rick
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2010
              Hi Bill, newbie here too.. hope to see your site on the map soon. John and Group have helped me setup the BPQ systen here on Cape Cod and I'm enjoying every min of it..Good website,Wow! Like the Mtn Climb to install the packet node.. Wish we had something like that out here..Good luck.. It's been a long time since I've seen any real packet radio activity locally. having the BPQ options to expand to other resources has brought life back to packet radio.. Cheers to John and all the software guru's working to make this happen..can't wait to get home and continue building the new BPQ box..73's Rick..N1RCW.

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "k7mt" <k7mt@...> wrote:

              > Howdy from Bill K7MT Helena, Mt.
              >
              > I am new to BPQ32 and have a couple questions I cannot find an answer in the documentation:
              > 1. Can an RF station connect to a BBS say in Kentucky through my Switch. I notice a nice BBS with AMSAT and ARRL Bulletins so could a RF station connect to my BPQ Switch, then connect to the BBS via the internet and read say Keps to update the Wisp program ???
              >
              > 2. I will have RMS Packet, MailBox, and internet on the switch for now using Kantronics KPC-2 - DVR 2-2 Radio 145.010. When I set this up can i have all three RMS Packet, Internet, local BBS on the one TNC. I don't quite undertand the virtual TNC concept yet but believe that is how I hook up all three to one real tnc ???
              >
              > I look forward to learning and activating my BPQ 32 Switch here in Helena, Mt. with the 3 on 145.010, APRS Igate on 144.390 APRS Plus SA, and SGate ISS NO-44 and the new one when its activated for APRS on 145.800. I am on Solar/batteries 24/7.
              >
              > I used Airmail at McMurdo Station Antarctica the two season I was there on WinLink and this new digital stuff is sure fun....
              >
              > I look forward to fun times.
              >
              > Bill K7MT
              >
              > http://www.k7mt.com Pics of McMurdo Station and the Ham Shack if interested.

            • Bill Erhardt
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2010
                Hi Rick,

                Nice to hear from you out there at Cape Code.  Happy Holidaze from Bill out here in Montana.

                I did packet a lot 85 - 95 Rick as it was the only way I could get my Keplarian Elements for Satellite Tracking and ARRL Bulletins.  I never have been an ARRL Member as I put my funds into AMSAT and their projects.  When the Internet showed up in the mied - late 90's well that just killed packet out here. I remember we had the BBS up until about 1995 and when I last checked it there were no updates from AMSAT for two years and I had been the only to check in for two years.   I kinda miss it....

                Enough of old stuff.  Yes, I am looking at once again having AMSAT/ARRL Bulletins on my BBS with BPQ 32 along with Chat and a RMS Packet Server.  We have put up about 6 - 8 X 1J4 nodes throughout Western Montana for some pretty good coverage.  There are two other RMS Packet Servers so in an emergency we could get e-mail out through one of them and if not I have Winmor on the sidelines with RMS Express and I can forward the messages etc. if needed during a disater or whatever.  It is basic but we have to start some where.  I think Army Mars out here as several SCS Pactor station to cover a lot of the State into the DES OFFICE also.

                I should have my BPQ 32 up and running this week and will hop on and chat with you on the chat mode if your about. I will e-mail when I get her up and going.  I ski a lot in the winter so not home a lot........ Retired and do a few Wild Land Fires in Summer and then winter is what or wherever as noticed on my web page.  I even skied in Antarctica and had a blast.

                Cheers Rick and again thanks for the nice e-mail and next time it will be on packet..... slower but more fun..

                Bill K7MT
              • Bill Erhardt
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2010
                  Hi Rick N1RCW,

                  Well getting things up and working.  Ken KD6PGI out in Oregon as been a great help. Mike in Wisconsin had me put in his Map and found a problem for me.

                  Ken said that my nodes list will only show those that I have mapped so I am looking at say Ken in OR, Mike in WI, and you on the east coast.  Can I put you in my mapping feature.

                  Next job with me and Ken is to get ARRL and AMSAT Bulletins to my BBS. I am having way to much fun.

                  Hope to hear from you Rick  send to k7mt at  Mike Tange dot NET.  No need for a lot of this on the BPQ Yahoo group.

                  Happy Holidaze from Montana

                  Bill K7MT.