Cannot open virtual com port

  • pd4u_dares
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
      I defined two virtual com ports in VCOMconfig. One for a VKISS port and one for a WINMOR Port.
      In BPQ Hostmodes I defined koth port as Kantronics, with 1 stram and no application mask.
      When I restart BPQHostmodes the console says:

      VKISS COM2 Virtual comport 2 could not be openend

      And the winmor port gives:
      WINMOR host 0.0.0.0 8500 Connect failed error 10049

      And after a while the WINMOR TNC says it cannot open TCP/IP port 8500

      What might be wrong? I guess it is all related to the virtual com ports.

      Marc, PD4U
    • Dave Webb AFA2HV

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
          No just one com port on this PC

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
            Mark,

            I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

            You don't use Virtual COM ports to link a WINMOR port to BPQ. You could use
            them to link RMS Express to BPQ.

            Assuming you are trying to add a Winmor port to BPQ, define it as follows:

            PORT
            ID=WINMOR Port
            TYPE=EXTERNAL
            DLLNAME=WINMOR.DLL
            config
            ADDR 127.0.0.1 8500
            CWID True
            BW 1600
            DRIVELEVEL 100
            ENDPORT

            Change CWID, BW and DRIVELEVEL as appropriate

            If you want BPQ to start the WINMOR TNC, change the ADDR line to:

            ADDR 192.168.0.101 8500 PATH C:\Program Files\bpq32\Winmor\Winmor TNC.exe

            Replace the PATH with the path of your WINMOR TNC installation.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
              John,

              I need the Virtual com port for the wiunmor port to trigger PTT and I need the VKISS port to be able to use Paclink.

              Changing IP to 127.0.0.1 gives errorcode 10061 now. It cannot connect to TCP 8500

              Marc

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
                Marc,

                You can't use a Virtual COM port for PTT - you need a real port with real i/o pins, unless you use VOX.

                Do you have the TNC and BPQ on the same machine? Error 10061 is connection refused, which normally means nothing is listening for connects on that port on that ip address.

                To link Paclink to BPQ, the simplest way is to use a Virtual KISS port. You don't need BPQHostModes - define a VKISS port on BPQ, and a packet port on Paclink with TNC Type Generic KISS. You can use BPQHostModes, but since KISS was added to Paclink that is a simpler approach.

                I need the Virtual com port for the wiunmor port to trigger PTT and I need the VKISS port to be able to use Paclink.

                Changing IP to 127.0.0.1 gives errorcode 10061 now. It cannot connect to TCP 8500

                Marc

                > Mark,
                >
                > I'm not sure what you are trying to do.
                >
                > You don't use Virtual COM ports to link a WINMOR port to BPQ. You could use
                > them to link RMS Express to BPQ.
                >
                > Assuming you are trying to add a Winmor port to BPQ, define it as follows:
                >
                > PORT
                > ID=WINMOR Port
                > TYPE=EXTERNAL
                > DLLNAME=WINMOR.DLL
                > config
                > ADDR 127.0.0.1 8500
                > CWID True
                > BW 1600
                > DRIVELEVEL 100
                > ENDPORT
                >

                > Change CWID, BW and DRIVELEVEL as appropriate
                >
                > If you want BPQ to start the WINMOR TNC, change the ADDR line to:
                >
                > ADDR 192.168.0.101 8500 PATH C:\Program Files\bpq32\Winmor\Winmor TNC.exe
                >
                > Replace the PATH with the path of your WINMOR TNC installation.

              • pd4u_dares
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
                  John,

                  I have got the VKISS port working now and Paclink connects to my RMS now. Without BPQHostmodes it works fine.

                  The WINMOR TNC is on another PC with IP 10.0.0.152. Though RMS WINMOR is running on that machine a connection is not made and instead the TNC on my desktop running BPQ is started (since it is installed there too on the same path) but the waterfall does not work then. And I don't want to connect to that TNC, but on the remote machine.

                  When I start the TNC beforehand and use 127.0.0.1. It works fine. So I can't connect to the remote machine though on a LAN, and I have shared the map containing the winmor TNC on the remote laptop.

                  Marc

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
                    Ok,.

                    To connect to a TNC on anther machine, you need to replace the ADDR 127.0.0.1 with the address of the remote machine - eg ADDR 10.0.0.152 8500. And in the TNC Basic Setup you need to change 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0

                    You can't use the TNC for BPQ and RMS Winmor at the same time. And BPQ can only start the TNC on the machine BPQ is running on, so you will have to start the TNC manually.

                    I have got the VKISS port working now and Paclink connects to my RMS now. Without BPQHostmodes it works fine.

                    The WINMOR TNC is on another PC with IP 10.0.0.152. Though RMS WINMOR is running on that machine a connection is not made and instead the TNC on my desktop running BPQ is started (since it is installed there too on the same path) but the waterfall does not work then. And I don't want to connect to that TNC, but on the remote machine.

                    When I start the TNC beforehand and use 127.0.0.1. It works fine. So I can't connect to the remote machine though on a LAN, and I have shared the map containing the winmor TNC on the remote laptop.

                    Marc

                    > Marc,
                    >
                    > You can't use a Virtual COM port for PTT - you need a real port with real
                    > i/o pins, unless you use VOX.
                    >
                    > Do you have the TNC and BPQ on the same machine? Error 10061 is connection
                    > refused, which normally means nothing is listening for connects on that port
                    > on that ip address.
                    >
                    > To link Paclink to BPQ, the simplest way is to use a Virtual KISS port. You
                    > don't need BPQHostModes - define a VKISS port on BPQ, and a packet port on
                    > Paclink with TNC Type Generic KISS. You can use BPQHostModes, but since KISS
                    > was added to Paclink that is a simpler approach.

                  • pd4u_dares
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2010
                      Aha! on the other machine the TNC is defined as 127.0.0.1
                      TNX