RE: [BPQ32] Re: RMS Packet not running with BPQ

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 10 KB

    Marc

                    I use the BPQ interface of RMS Packet. I then use AGW between BPQ and the TNCs. I have kept AGW at port 8000. This allows me to use Paclink or an AGW enabled packet terminal program, such as AGWTerminal or WinPack. Also the ability to use AGWMonitor to see the packet6 frames is invaluable for debugging connection problems. I also have an AGW loopback port which also allows program testing without the need to have TNC or radios. The BBS used BPQMailChat. I have not added chat as an application at this time. We have 3 nodes in the Western Tennessee using this setup with more about to come online.

    73 Bill

    N9ACQ

  • pd4u_dares
    Message 2 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
      Bill/John,

      Well ehm... ehm I am SRY! ;-)) I forgot to check "Enable This Port" in RMS packet.
      And now it works fine as far as I can see.

      And why the telnet port? Because I wanted to set up a link to another node/RMS server in the Netherlands via the internet (PI8SNK/SNKRMS), and was not sure if I need a AX/IP/UDP port for that or a telnet port. So I configured both. But I guess a AX/IP port is sufficient for that?

      I will test this setup and the get into setting up the link via AX/IP. And later on later on I would like to try to include a winmor port. My RMS WINMOR PD4U-10 is now running on another PC stand alone, but like to run them one one or over a LAN. Is that possible?

      I will get back to you on that [when running in trouble]. TNX for the help so far.

      Marc, PD4U
    • Bill
      Message 3 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010

        Marc

                        The WINMOER port cannot be shared with any other program.  So the decision would be WINMOR for BPQ or RMS Express. I found the same problem with the Pactor port.

        73 Bill

        N9ACQ

        Message 4 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
          Ok, Mark,

          Yes the axip port will be fine for linking to another node.

          You can include Winmor, Pactor or even both on the same radio if you like. Several stations are doing that already. Winmor or Pactor connects go to your RMS Packet, so you don't need RMS WINMOR.

          Message 5 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
            Bill,

            RMS Express can use the BPQ WINMOR TNC. (with RMS Express in packet mode, communicating over a virtual KISS port to BPQ).  I also run BPQ/WINMOR and RMS Express/WINMOR on the same soundcard for testing, although it is probably not the ideal setup.

            Message 6 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
              John,
              I'm using seperate radios now on seperate PC's. Can they eventually be linked via a LAN in BPQ?

              And interesting to hear that RMS WINMOR is obsolete when RMS packet is running [and can be accesed via a winmor port]. But still the keycode needs to be enabled to run a WINMOR RMS, bet it that the fraffic is handled bij RMS Packet... or not? Since that would open the door for those unable to get the RMS WINMOR software ;-)

              But I am happy things are working like I wanted so far. If the AX/IP link is up, I'll look into the extra WINMOR port.

              TNX for all the info.

              Marc

            • kd6pgi@gorge.net
              Message 7 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
                Hi Marc,

                BPQ only uses the Winmor TNC portion to run a Winmor
                port. If you are already running RMS Packet with a
                keycode, then nothing will really change. Once the
                port setup in RMS Packet is setup for BPQ, any user
                that connects via Winmor can access RMS Packet, the
                BBS or the node. Winmor operates just like any other
                RF port at that point. That is why Winmor RMS is no
                longer needed.

                Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
                Hood River County ARES
                Assistant EC - Digital

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "John Wiseman"
                <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

                > Ok, Mark,

                > Yes the axip port will be fine for linking to
                another node.

                > You can include Winmor, Pactor or even both on the
                same radio if you like.

                > Several stations are doing that already. Winmor or
                Pactor connects go to

                > your RMS Packet, so you don't need RMS WINMOR.

              • pd4u_dares
                Message 8 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
                  Hi Ken,

                  For running RMS winmor the same keycode is used as in RMS Packet, but the keycode has to be "HF enabled" by the WL2K team. But, that is for RMS WINMOR to operate... since RMS Packet can be used as well to handle traffic on a BPQ switch, not only RMS WINMOR is obsolete, but als enabling a RMS keycode for HF...

                  Ssssst, don't tell anyone. Especially not the WL2K team.

                  Marc, PD4U

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "kd6pgi@..." <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Marc,
                  >
                  > BPQ only uses the Winmor TNC portion to run a Winmor
                  > port. If you are already running RMS Packet with a
                  > keycode, then nothing will really change. Once the
                  > port setup in RMS Packet is setup for BPQ, any user
                  > that connects via Winmor can access RMS Packet, the
                  > BBS or the node. Winmor operates just like any other
                  > RF port at that point. That is why Winmor RMS is no
                  > longer needed.
                  >

                  > Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
                  > Hood River County ARES
                  > Assistant EC - Digital

                • Dave Webb AFA2HV
                  Message 9 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
                    I run winmor and pactor on the same radio and 2 seperate BPQ ports.
                    Use the interlock # option on both ports with the same number (#) on both.
                    You need a TNC, such as a KAM+ capable of using the center frequency for it's tones to prevent confusion for your users.
                    To run the two modes together you need PTT control, not VOX from the Winmor TNC. Also I found it necessary to isolate the audio output of the SignaLink and TNC when transmitting from the other. I found a simple RadioShack DPDT relay works well using the Winmor PTT to operate the relay itself, powered by a DC wall power transformer. Even though the relay is rated at 12 volts, I found that a 6 volt transformer worked better than the 12 volt.  The more active operation of Pactor is not good for the relay and may cause errors.
                    73
                    Dave

                    Message 10 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010
                      And BPQ is also using TCP Port 8000 without conflicts with AGWPE using the same port?

                      In my current setup I cannot use Paclink to acces my RMS on the same PC. I have also set the TCP Port in AGWPE to 8001, and in Paclink to 8001. Since that was explicitly stated in the config.

                      So setting the TCP Port in AGWPE back to 8000, and in Paclink back to 8000 [and thus RMS Packet too] would make it possible to directly connect to my RMS with Paclink, both on the same PC? And also use WinPack without having to implement the Host Mode Emulator of BPQ?
                      Or I could set AGWtoBPQ to TCP Port 8001, that now defaults to 8000, and have the same result.

                      Marc

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <n9acq@...> wrote:

                      > Marc
                      >
                      > I use the BPQ interface of RMS Packet. I then use AGW
                      > between BPQ and the TNCs. I have kept AGW at port 8000. This allows me to
                      > use Paclink or an AGW enabled packet terminal program, such as AGWTerminal
                      > or WinPack. Also the ability to use AGWMonitor to see the packet6 frames is
                      > invaluable for debugging connection problems. I also have an AGW loopback
                      > port which also allows program testing without the need to have TNC or
                      > radios. The BBS used BPQMailChat. I have not added chat as an application at
                      > this time. We have 3 nodes in the Western Tennessee using this setup with
                      > more about to come online.
                      >
                      > 73 Bill
                      >
                      > N9ACQ

                    • Bill
                      Message 11 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010

                        Marc

                                        Port 8000 is used for BPQ – AGW communications. In order for the two programs to communicate they MUST use the same port. I did use port 8001 for RMS Packet to BPQ before RMS Packet added support for BPQ.

                        73 Bill

                        N9ACQ

                      • Bill
                        Message 12 of 26 , Oct 28, 2010

                          Marc

                                          Have you looked at Flexible Packet Station, which shows the steps I used to develop and test each step of program instillation.

                          73 Bill

                          N9ACQ

                          Message 13 of 26 , Oct 29, 2010
                            Marc,

                            If you set up paclink to use KISS, and create a Virtual KIss Port in BPQ, paclink can talk to BPQ without going through AGWPE.

                            Detail on setting up a VKISS port are here - http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/bpqvkiss.htm

                            And BPQ is also using TCP Port 8000 without conflicts with AGWPE using the same port?

                            In my current setup I cannot use Paclink to acces my RMS on the same PC. I have also set the TCP Port in AGWPE to 8001, and in Paclink to 8001. Since that was explicitly stated in the config.

                            So setting the TCP Port in AGWPE back to 8000, and in Paclink back to 8000 [and thus RMS Packet too] would make it possible to directly connect to my RMS with Paclink, both on the same PC? And also use WinPack without having to implement the Host Mode Emulator of BPQ?
                            Or I could set AGWtoBPQ to TCP Port 8001, that now defaults to 8000, and have the same result.

                            Marc

                            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <n9acq@...> wrote:

                            > Marc
                            >
                            > I use the BPQ interface of RMS Packet. I then use AGW
                            > between BPQ and the TNCs. I have kept AGW at port 8000. This allows me to
                            > use Paclink or an AGW enabled packet terminal program, such as AGWTerminal
                            > or WinPack. Also the ability to use AGWMonitor to see the packet6 frames is
                            > invaluable for debugging connection problems. I also have an AGW loopback
                            > port which also allows program testing without the need to have TNC or
                            > radios. The BBS used BPQMailChat. I have not added chat as an application at
                            > this time. We have 3 nodes in the Western Tennessee using this setup with
                            > more about to come online.
                            >
                            > 73 Bill
                            >
                            > N9ACQ

                          • pd4u_dares
                            Message 14 of 26 , Oct 29, 2010

                              > Marc,
                              >
                              > If you set up paclink to use KISS, and create a Virtual KIss Port in BPQ,
                              > paclink can talk to BPQ without going through AGWPE.
                              >
                              > Detail on setting up a VKISS port are here -
                              > <http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/bpqvkiss.htm>
                              > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/bpqvkiss.htm
                              >

                              > John

                              Aha, just like the Airmail client needs a virtual port to use the BPQ WINMOR port as discribed in WA7RF's Airmail-WINMOR document ( http://www.lincares.org/Airmail-WINMOR.htm ) I had that running a few months ago. I will try that today. TNX

                              Marc
                            • pd4u_dares
                              Message 15 of 26 , Oct 29, 2010
                                No Bill, I haven't looked at that before, and cannot find it in the file section. Where can I find it?

                                Message 16 of 26 , Oct 29, 2010
                                  Marc,
                                  Similar, but not the same. The Airmail to Winmor uses the Host Modes emulator, and paclink uses KISS.

                                  By the way, there is a new version of the Airmail setup doc on my documentation site. The new options in bpq32 make it much simpler both to set up and use.

                                  > If you set up paclink to use KISS, and create a Virtual KIss Port in BPQ,
                                  > paclink can talk to BPQ without going through AGWPE.
                                  >
                                  > Detail on setting up a VKISS port are here -
                                  > <http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/bpqvkiss.htm>
                                  > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/bpqvkiss.htm
                                  >

                                  > John

                                  Aha, just like the Airmail client needs a virtual port to use the BPQ WINMOR port as discribed in WA7RF's Airmail-WINMOR document ( http://www.lincares.org/Airmail-WINMOR.htm ) I had that running a few months ago. I will try that today. TNX
                                • Rob
                                  Message 17 of 26 , Oct 29, 2010
                                    I have uploaded John's revision to the Airmail to WINMOR instructions at our LICARES site so that anybody using that link will have the latest. Thank you to John for revising them as it has been a very busy year for me.

                                    Links for the instructions for setting up Airmail to use WINMOR via BPQ32

                                    http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/AirmailtoWINMOR.htm

                                    http://www.lincares.org/Airmail-WINMOR.htm

                                    73's

                                    Rob
                                    WA7RF

                                    Message 18 of 26 , Oct 29, 2010

                                      Marc

                                                      Files section of the Winlink Programs Group.

                                      73 Bill

                                      N9ACQ

                                    • la7um
                                      Message 19 of 26 , Oct 29, 2010
                                        Interesting Dave. Isn't that isolation issue a bit rig dependable? IE how deaf heard you may adjust the rig to be on both rear port and mic port? Compensating with high output from TNC and SignaLink? And why not the "SignaLink" type of Vox for Winmor? Only one mode at a session should tx anyway.

                                        I believe you are a "spear head" in this double mode testing, so I'm very interested in your experiences and reasons for conclusions.

                                        We are still "collecting" our dedicated equipment not finished building it together.
                                        Some xyl's want to get rid of some packages, hi.
                                        73 Finn/LA7UM

                                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dave Webb AFA2HV <afa2hv@...> wrote:

                                        > I run winmor and pactor on the same radio and 2 seperate BPQ ports.
                                        > Use the interlock # option on both ports with the same number (#) on both.
                                        > You need a TNC, such as a KAM+ capable of using the center frequency for
                                        > it's tones to prevent confusion for your users.
                                        > To run the two modes together you need PTT control, not VOX from the
                                        > Winmor TNC. Also I found it necessary to isolate the audio output of the
                                        > SignaLink and TNC when transmitting from the other. I found a simple
                                        > RadioShack DPDT relay works well using the Winmor PTT to operate the
                                        > relay itself, powered by a DC wall power transformer. Even though the
                                        > relay is rated at 12 volts, I found that a 6 volt transformer worked
                                        > better than the 12 volt. The more active operation of Pactor is not
                                        > good for the relay and may cause errors.
                                        > 73
                                        > Dave
                                        >

                                        > On 10/28/2010 4:09 PM, John Wiseman wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Bill,
                                        > > RMS Express can use the BPQ WINMOR TNC. (with RMS Express in packet
                                        > > mode, communicating over a virtual KISS port to BPQ). I also run
                                        > > BPQ/WINMOR and RMS Express/WINMOR on the same soundcard for testing,
                                        > > although it is probably not the ideal setup.
                                        > > 73,
                                        > > John

                                      • Dave Webb AFA2HV
                                        Message 20 of 26 , Oct 29, 2010
                                          I agree Finn, the use of the isolation relay would be rig dependent. I adjusted the KAM and the Signalink to have the same audio output. I am using an older rig (IC745) to do this with using the front Mic connector of the rig. The mic relay is NC to the KAM. Also the PTT from the rig goes through the other NC contact to the KAM. When the Signalink PTT operates, it operates the relay from the power pack. The operated relay sends the PTT lead from the rig directly to ground and the audio comes out of the Signalink directly to the rig. I found that using the relay cut out an RF feedback issue I had when the two MIC out's were bridged together. More modern solid state relays would be more reliable for this use but I used what I had in my junk box. I also found using a diode across the relay coil did away with a slight bounce that I had when the Signalink operated.
                                          The interlock command in the BPQ software prevents both from sending at the same time but the KAM will respond to an incoming call before the BPQ node can deal with it.  I did once have a pactor station and a winmor station call at the same time and I found the results most interesting. That hasn't happened since but will keep an eye on it.
                                          Needless to say neither station had a successful connect that time.
                                          I don't have an SCS modem to experiment with but I'm thinking that the results would be about the same.
                                          73
                                          Dave WB2HVF

                                        • la7um
                                          Message 21 of 26 , Oct 30, 2010
                                            Very creative Dave. Your setup might also work with an old IC 735.
                                            I tested a borrowed model years ago, It needed very low voltage from KAM in the rear port, and I needed to pull out mic when running digital, and pulling out KAM cable when neding to talk.
                                            But the rig itself worked very well running amtor and pactor.

                                            You give me an idea (meaning work for John). Comming in a separate thread.
                                            73 de la7um Finn.