Re: AXIP Links

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
      I think the the only time it might make sense is when interfacing with nodes running other software. If you define two (or more) AXIP listeners the first port becomes the source port for all traffic from your node.

      Example (portion from axip cfg):

      A node listening on UDP ports 10092 and 10093.

      UDP 10092
      UDP 10093

      All the axudp traffic from that node will have a source port of 10092 even if you're sending traffic to 10093. Some software/firewall configurations seem to expect the traffic to have matching source and destination ports. Odd connectivity issues may develop as a result.

      This a flaw in BPQ32? Not IMHO. Firewall configurations can be written/modified to allow for this. Beyond that, I question the programming of the other software that needs source/destination ports to match.

      Since 10093 seems to be the most common axudp port, I always make sure it's the first listener defined in the axip cfg.

      Example:

      UDP 10093
      UDP 10092

      This deals with most problems. I can see where if you're talking to more than one "picky" remote system on odd port numbers then the multiple axip port approach may be the only way to get things talking both ways. IF the new port approach fixes the source port issue for that particular link?

      Easy fix? Standardize upon 10093 and make you life (and those you link to) easier ;-)

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
      Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM