Re: [BPQ32] RE: Pactor Busy Detector

  • Charles Brabham
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
      The best solution is to never - ever - run any digital mode on our HF spectrum that does not feature busy detection that is at least as good as Packet radio offers, if not better.

      On any kind of automated system, running equipment that does not feature reasonably functional busy detection is completely irresponsible.

      We were not given a pass on the basics of decent, considerate, and competent operation of a ham station when we set up our BBS software. In fact, as BBS SYSOPS, it is up to us to operate in such a way that is beyond reproach as amateur radio operators.

      Blasting out ARQ with no busy detection at all does not qualify as operating "in such a way as to be beyond reproach".

      That much at least - should be obvious to all.

      If your digital mode is not capable of being operated in a legal, considerate manner, then you should be looking at other digital modes that ARE capable of  'playing well with others', as this ability to play well with others is job #1 in amateur radio.

      We are supposed to utilize our bit of spectrum - not pollute it and thus reduce the enjoyment of the hobby by our fellow hams.

      73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
        Interesting considering how many times I've seen packet transmitting on top of in-progress Pactor links. 40m is a zoo of this. If HF packet is the gold standard for HF data.....then we're in a world of hurt.

        Automated systems, using a variety of protocols, operating in very limited windows of spectrum = you're going to have unintentional QRM at times.

        Nature of the beast. My opinion nor your opinion will not change reality.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO