RE: Pactor Busy Detector

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010

      Ok.. Ill try this again…

      What determines if Busy Detection is working or not… The software or thr PTCII (SCS) MODEM?

      And what is the command to enable/disable…

      73 jerry

      URGENT!

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
        You can't with the currently released version. (4.10.15.4).

        If you are running a later (beta test version) it is always enabled for the SCS and WINMOR.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010

          Hi John…

          Had extreme difficulties with the latest dlls.. all kinds of programs would not work.. 1st problem,  BPQterminal faulted out after a reboot along with other items and I tried it twice and then swapped harddrives back..  Since no one else has listed any problems that I noted so far.. I am sure I did something wrong… So I quickly reverted back.. Was busy at work and things .. So I was going to try again this weekend. But was unable.. due to work again and a HamFest…

          May try again.. When I do I will not all the problems and list them to you in an email.. Just had no time seemed everything happened all of a sudden life wise..

          Will it be in the next release version? I have everyone in a 6 state area complaining that I squash their on going Pactor QSOs.. I am on 80 meters  with wb9fhp. I ran into Larry at the HamFest we spoke about the problem and everyone seems ok if I get it fixed soon.. no one wanting to jump off the deep end or anything and start screaming, they have all been very civil..  I have moved my connect  attempts out to two a day till fixed.. except on 14.1174 I am still running normal, but I am sure its bad. I am sure this is not just an isolated problem..

          Thanks John.. I appreciate your hard work and all the testers..

          I will try to retest the install of the new dll’s just need to have work stop calling me out EVERYDAY… Starting to get behind in a lot of areas…

          73 jerry

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
            The best solution is to never - ever - run any digital mode on our HF spectrum that does not feature busy detection that is at least as good as Packet radio offers, if not better.

            On any kind of automated system, running equipment that does not feature reasonably functional busy detection is completely irresponsible.

            We were not given a pass on the basics of decent, considerate, and competent operation of a ham station when we set up our BBS software. In fact, as BBS SYSOPS, it is up to us to operate in such a way that is beyond reproach as amateur radio operators.

            Blasting out ARQ with no busy detection at all does not qualify as operating "in such a way as to be beyond reproach".

            That much at least - should be obvious to all.

            If your digital mode is not capable of being operated in a legal, considerate manner, then you should be looking at other digital modes that ARE capable of  'playing well with others', as this ability to play well with others is job #1 in amateur radio.

            We are supposed to utilize our bit of spectrum - not pollute it and thus reduce the enjoyment of the hobby by our fellow hams.

            73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

            How do we enable the Pactor Busy Detector..

            Many thanks Jerry N9LYA

          • Jeff - WA4ZKO
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
              Interesting considering how many times I've seen packet transmitting on top of in-progress Pactor links. 40m is a zoo of this. If HF packet is the gold standard for HF data.....then we're in a world of hurt.

              Automated systems, using a variety of protocols, operating in very limited windows of spectrum = you're going to have unintentional QRM at times.

              Nature of the beast. My opinion nor your opinion will not change reality.

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO