Re: Remote SysOp

  • vk2dot
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
      John,
      RESTART - Will only be used after we update BPQ32.cfg, BPQTelnetServer.cfg or BPQAXIP.cfg, etc - to quickly update BPQ32 [as we do now from the local console. If we are adding other remote software, etc at a later date - then if we have to restart the said software, then we will reboot the remote laptop.

      REBOOT
      - Will be used if we update BPQ32.exe, etc software, or there is a dramatic problem with the remote laptop that requires rebooting.

      The remote laptops [being soak tested at present] are running Windows MicroXP as the operating system; MicroXP runs well on a 233Mhz laptop with 64Mb of memory & 800Mb of mass-storage.
      We also run FileZiller Server as the FTP server. [XRouter has FTP built in - but we have not asked for a FTP server to be incorporated at this time - to not burden you with extra work.]
      We also run StartDelay software to start FileZiller & BPQ32 after the operating system has started.

      The remote nodes are over 100Km away from VK2DOT and not in the precint of each other.  We have never had a problem so far with remote users using the same call-signs as local users for packet applications. [This system has been running for a number of years.]  The users use RF at their remote node & also login locally via telnet.

      Thanks again, Regards rod....///

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
        Ok, Rod,

        I think what you are calling Restart is my re-read config command. I thought you wanted to be able to shut down and restart the software.

        I realise that with your setup having the same call on two nodes may not be a problem, but if I change the software it could be for others. I'll see if I can make it an option.

        RESTART - Will only be used after we update BPQ32.cfg, BPQTelnetServer.cfg or BPQAXIP.cfg, etc - to quickly update BPQ32 [as we do now from the local console. If we are adding other remote software, etc at a later date - then if we have to restart the said software, then we will reboot the remote laptop.

        REBOOT
        - Will be used if we update BPQ32.exe, etc software, or there is a dramatic problem with the remote laptop that requires rebooting.

        The remote laptops [being soak tested at present] are running Windows MicroXP as the operating system; MicroXP runs well on a 233Mhz laptop with 64Mb of memory & 800Mb of mass-storage.
        We also run FileZiller Server as the FTP server. [XRouter has FTP built in - but we have not asked for a FTP server to be incorporated at this time - to not burden you with extra work.]
        We also run StartDelay software to start FileZiller & BPQ32 after the op erating system has started.

        The remote nodes are over 100Km away from VK2DOT and not in the precint of each other.  We have never had a problem so far with remote users using the same call-signs as local users for packet applications. [This system has been running for a number of years.]  The users use RF at their remote node & also login locally via telnet.

        Thanks again, Regards rod....///

        > I'll add SYSOP commands to re-read the config and to reboot the computer.
        >
        > Are you just running bpq32.exe on the remote compuuters, or do you need the
        > restart command to run other programs?
        >
        > I don't have any problem doing a reconfig with just bpqterminal running - is
        > anyone else having this problem?
        >
        > I could change the way the command aliases work, but I don't think it is a
        & gt; good idea. You will end up with two stations on the air with the same call
        > and ssid. There is the possibility of a connect being picked up by the wrong
        > station. What do others think of this?

      • vk2dot
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
          John, thanks.