Re: [BPQ32] Issues with BPQEther port ?

  • Miroslav Skoric
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 28, 2010
      On 8/28/2010 4:16 PM, John Wiseman wrote:

      > It don't think there are any issues, so long as you are careful with the
      > config. In particular I had a problem with a router/switch when I did'nt
      > have the source mac address set correctly.
      >
      > What problems are you having?

      I found today that my firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall) is the
      obstacle that causes the problem of 'freezing' the ethernet link between
      BPQ 4.08a (or 4.09d) on a DOS machine, and BPQ32 on a Windows machine.
      When the firewall is on (well, always), the ethernet link goes down or
      better to say 'freezes' after a while. I mean, when I activate both ends
      of the ethernet link, the nodes keep exchanging their node-lists,
      beacons etc without problems. When I add some traffic (Eg. forwarding
      between two bbs's running on top of BPQ), everything goes fine but only
      for some few minutes, but soon after the BPQ32 side seems to lose its
      capability to 'hear' the other side of the link and 'freezes' itself
      (sometimes it freezes the whole computer). However, sometimes I still
      get beacons and node-lists from the DOS machine (i see them coming in
      the BPQ32 monitoring window), but BPQ32 seems to be incapable to
      'digest' incoming information and include it to its own node-list, etc.

      When I switch off the firewall and wait half a minute, the frozen link
      'melts' and continues to work. Any suggestion what to do to avoid that
      issue?

      This is my test station:

      _____________ ____________________
      VHF |MS DOS 5 comp| |MS Windows 2000 comp|
      TRX--TNC2--|BPQ4.09d, PZT| --- LAN --- | BPQ32 4.10n, FBB |-- I'net
      ant ------------- --------------------
      YT7M-1 (BPQ) YT7MPB-3 (BPQ32)
      YT7M (PZTBBS) YT7MPB-4 (FBB)

      > Do you have a LAN monitor? - I use Wireshark, and if you install my plugins
      > it will decode bpqether and axip packets.

      I just tested the packets by using Ethereal and noticed that all packets
      between two nodes were of protocol type '08FF' (is that a 'BPQ protocol'?)

      Misko YT7MPB
    • Dave Webb AFA2HV
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 28, 2010
        I'm having my own issue.
        I'm trying to put an eithernet port in. When I run BPQadaptor.exe I get
        an error message..... WPCAP.DLL not found.
        I'm running XP.
        Help?
        73
        Dave
        WB2HVF
      • Kenneth Jacobs
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 28, 2010
          Hi Dave....

          Do a search for WPCAP.DLL on google. You can download it and plce it in
          your Windows/System32 directory. Should solve that problem.....

          Ken KD6PGI
          Hood River County ARES
          AEC - Digital

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
            Misco,

            Yes 08FF is the default Ethertype for BPQEther, though it can be changed.

            Firewalls don't usually look at anything other than IP, so I'm a bit surprised that the firewall is causing problems. Maybe it is confused by the 08FF frames. Perhaps you could try a different firewall.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
              Dave,

              Install winpcap, or better still Wireshark, which will include winpcap, and allow you to monitor the packets on the Ethernet.

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
                John,
                Got it. but the results from BPQadaptor.exe came out in a dos window that I had to retype manually.
                Wireshark looks like it will really be a useful tool.
                Ken J. Thank you also for your response.
                73
                Dave

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
                  Dave,

                  You can copy/paste from the DOS window. (to copy, right click, select Mark, highlight the text, hit return).

                  In the RelatedFiles\WireShark-ax.25 folder of the bpq32 install, there is a Wireshark plugin that will enable Wireshark to decode BPQEther and axip packets.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
                    Thank you/

                  Message 9 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
                    Now another question.......
                    What is the best way to hook 2 computers together using the either net through a switch? (a 5 port Barracuda)
                    I tried doing the BPQEither but it appears that it doesn't like to share the NET card.
                    I got the card on the "radio" computer to initialize but wouldn't allow the RMSPacket to come up. Also something is using the card on my "MAIN" computer and BPQ cannot get it to initialize.

                    73
                    Dave

                    Message 10 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010
                      Dave,

                      There shouldn't be any problems with BPQEther running through a switch, so long as you configure the SOURCE correctly. or sharing an adapter with other protocols. What error messages are you seeing?

                      Another option is to use AXIP, if both machines are running BPQ32 (or another system that supports axip). BPQEther is needed to link BPQ32 to systems (such as DOS BPQ) that don't support AXIP.

                      Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2, 2010
                        Hi all!

                        Is it possible to 'pipe' (copy and transfer) received data on one of the
                        ports of BPQ 4.09d node running on a DOS machine, and to display that
                        data in a terminal window of the BPQ32 node on a Windows machine? (The
                        interface between the nodes is BPQEther.)

                        This is my test station: