Remote SysOp

  • vk2dot
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2010
      BPQ32 Remote SysOp
      John, another request - We had setup BPQ32 with Win2000 on a few old laptops to replace the remote XRouters.
      The laptops are at their limits of running anything else than Win2000 & BPQ32.
      So to be able to control these remote laptops, could you please [if possible] add the following into the next revision of BPQ32.

      1: To be able to login as a Remote SysOp, possibly via Telnet login [with special tag for Remote SysOp].
      2: Remote SysOp Command of RESTART - to restart BPQ32.
      3: Remote SysOp Command of REBOOT - to reboot the computer.

      We notice on testing, when just running BPQ32 [started by BPQTerminal], That when we try & restart BPQ32 via Console action, that BPQ32 just stops & will not restart.

      Also, I have another little problem -
      All of my remote nodes will have the following applications.

      APPLICATION 1,BPQ,C 10 VK2DOT-1,VK2DOT-5,,
      APPLICATION 2,CHAT,C 10 VK2DOT-7,VK2DOT-6,,
      APPLICATION 3,BBS,C 10 VK2DOT-0,vk2dot-7,,
      APPLICATION 4,FBB,C 10 VK2DOT-2,vk2dot-8,,

      Thus for a remote user, he/she will be able to type C VK2DOT-5 and will be automatically transported from the remote RF port to my VK2DOT-1 Node. [via the AXUDP link]
      At the present moment with XRouter, they type c VK2DOT-1 to goto my VK2DOT-1 BPQ32 Node.
      For consistency, it would be better if users remotely could type C VK2DOT-1 to goto my VK2DOT-1 BPQ32 Node.
      Users also travel down the AXUDP link & also come physically into this area. It would be wise & prudent for them to use the same connect callsigns, when remote & local.
      Wonder if it is possible to change this also in your next BPQ32 revision.

      Regards Rod....///
    • vk2dot
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2010

        John, another request - We had setup BPQ32 with Win2000 on a few old laptops to test relacing the Remote XRouters.
        The laptops are at their limits of running anything else than Win2000 & BPQ32. Plus FTP for editing etc of files.

        So to be able to control these remote laptops, could you please add the following into the next revision of BPQ32.
        1: To be able to login as a Remote SysOp, possiably via Telnet login [with special tag for Remote SysOp].
        2: Remote SysOp Command of RESTART - to restart BPQ32.
        3: Remote SysOp Command of REBOOT  - to reboot the computer.

        We also notice on testing - when just running BPQ32, started by BPQTerminal, That when we try & restart BPQ32 via Console action, that BPQ32 just stops & will not restart.

        Also, I have a little problem -
        All of my remote nodes will have the following applications.

        APPLICATION 1,BPQ,C 10 VK2DOT-1,VK2DOT-5,,
        APPLICATION 2,CHAT,C 10 VK2DOT-7,VK2DOT-6,,
        APPLICATION 3,BBS,C 10 VK2DOT-0,vk2dot-7,,
        APPLICATION 4,FBB,C 10 VK2DOT-2,vk2dot-8,,

        Thus for a remote user, he/she will be able to type C VK2DOT-5 and will be automatically transported from the remote RF port to my VK2DOT-1 Node. [via the AXUDP link]
        At the present moment with XRouter, they type c VK2DOT-1 to goto my VK2DOT-1 BPQ32 Node.
        For consistency, it would be better if users remotely could type C VK2DOT-1 to goto my  VK2DOT-1 BPQ32 Node.
        Users also travel down the AXUDP link & also come into this area. It would be wise & prudent for them to use the same callsigns.
        Wonder if it is possible to change this also in your next revision.

        Regards Rod....///

      • enkitec@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 27, 2010

              I remember BPQ 4.08 (DOS) has an application to do something like that.
              It was BPQDOS from G7TAJ.

              Mark PY3SS

          On 27-Sep-10 09:48, vk2dot wrote:

[...]

        • Iain G. Moffat
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 27, 2010
            Rod

            Years ago I used to use a TELNET server from Windows NT Services for UNIX
            in my day job - this will work if you can Telnet from the BPQ node into the
            host operating system.

            NT SFU is available at:
            http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=896c9688-601b-44f1-81a4-02878ff11778

            The documentation is at:
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb496506.aspx
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb463201.aspx

            Hope this helps

            Iain
            73 de G0OZS
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 27, 2010
              Rod,

              I'm away sailing at the moment, but will look into these when I get back.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010

                I'll add SYSOP commands to re-read the config and to reboot the computer.

                Are you just running bpq32.exe on the remote compuuters, or do you need the restart command to run other programs?

                I don't have any problem doing a reconfig with just bpqterminal running - is anyone else having this problem?

                I could change the way the command aliases work, but I don't think it is a good idea. You will end up with two stations on the air with the same call and ssid. There is the possibility of a connect being picked up by the wrong station. What do others think of this?

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
                  John,
                  RESTART - Will only be used after we update BPQ32.cfg, BPQTelnetServer.cfg or BPQAXIP.cfg, etc - to quickly update BPQ32 [as we do now from the local console. If we are adding other remote software, etc at a later date - then if we have to restart the said software, then we will reboot the remote laptop.

                  REBOOT
                  - Will be used if we update BPQ32.exe, etc software, or there is a dramatic problem with the remote laptop that requires rebooting.

                  The remote laptops [being soak tested at present] are running Windows MicroXP as the operating system; MicroXP runs well on a 233Mhz laptop with 64Mb of memory & 800Mb of mass-storage.
                  We also run FileZiller Server as the FTP server. [XRouter has FTP built in - but we have not asked for a FTP server to be incorporated at this time - to not burden you with extra work.]
                  We also run StartDelay software to start FileZiller & BPQ32 after the operating system has started.

                  The remote nodes are over 100Km away from VK2DOT and not in the precint of each other.  We have never had a problem so far with remote users using the same call-signs as local users for packet applications. [This system has been running for a number of years.]  The users use RF at their remote node & also login locally via telnet.

                  Thanks again, Regards rod....///

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
                    Ok, Rod,

                    I think what you are calling Restart is my re-read config command. I thought you wanted to be able to shut down and restart the software.

                    I realise that with your setup having the same call on two nodes may not be a problem, but if I change the software it could be for others. I'll see if I can make it an option.

                    RESTART - Will only be used after we update BPQ32.cfg, BPQTelnetServer.cfg or BPQAXIP.cfg, etc - to quickly update BPQ32 [as we do now from the local console. If we are adding other remote software, etc at a later date - then if we have to restart the said software, then we will reboot the remote laptop.

                    REBOOT
                    - Will be used if we update BPQ32.exe, etc software, or there is a dramatic problem with the remote laptop that requires rebooting.

                    The remote laptops [being soak tested at present] are running Windows MicroXP as the operating system; MicroXP runs well on a 233Mhz laptop with 64Mb of memory & 800Mb of mass-storage.
                    We also run FileZiller Server as the FTP server. [XRouter has FTP built in - but we have not asked for a FTP server to be incorporated at this time - to not burden you with extra work.]
                    We also run StartDelay software to start FileZiller & BPQ32 after the op erating system has started.

                    The remote nodes are over 100Km away from VK2DOT and not in the precint of each other.  We have never had a problem so far with remote users using the same call-signs as local users for packet applications. [This system has been running for a number of years.]  The users use RF at their remote node & also login locally via telnet.

                    Thanks again, Regards rod....///

                    > I'll add SYSOP commands to re-read the config and to reboot the computer.
                    >
                    > Are you just running bpq32.exe on the remote compuuters, or do you need the
                    > restart command to run other programs?
                    >
                    > I don't have any problem doing a reconfig with just bpqterminal running - is
                    > anyone else having this problem?
                    >
                    > I could change the way the command aliases work, but I don't think it is a
                    & gt; good idea. You will end up with two stations on the air with the same call
                    > and ssid. There is the possibility of a connect being picked up by the wrong
                    > station. What do others think of this?

                  • vk2dot
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
                      John, thanks.