Telnet problem with Outpost

  • jim
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
      I am trying to set up Outpost to telnet into my BPQ node. I am doing this through the internet. I can use tools-interactive packet-telnet and connect. But when I log in my call sign in the BPQtelnet server window shows user "kc4bqk" and callsign as "kc4bq" also when I enter th rms port it shows my callsign on letter short in the RMS window. What have I missed? I have not been able to use the send/receive button and connect it stops at " Enter ? for node commads ***Connected to SWITCH"

      Thanks
      Jim
      KC4BQK
    • Kenneth Jacobs
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
        Hi Jim,

        Not sure I have ever seen that happen before. So are you saying that it
        works fine with Outpost Interactive Telnet? But not when you try to use
        Outpost direct?

        Ken KD6PGI
        Hood River County ARES
        AEC - Digital

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
          Jim,

          You probably don't have a newline after your user record in BPQTelnetServer.cfg. I thought I'd fixed that bug, but I've just tested it, and found I haven't. It will be fixed in the next version.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010

            Thanks, that fixed the callsign problem. I am still having problems with the direct from Outpost connecting. I can connect to everything using the interactive telnet. I must have a something wrong in the setup, I will go back over everything and check again.

            Jim
            KC4BQK

            > Jim,
            >
            > You probably don't have a newline after your user record in
            > BPQTelnetServer.cfg. I thought I'd fixed that bug, but I've just tested
            > it, and found I haven't. It will be fixed in the next version.

          • jim
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
              Ken

              John helped me get the callsign part fixed, but yes I can connect with interactive but not with Outpost. I must have something configured wrong.

              Jim
              KC4BQK

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

              > Hi Jim,
              >
              > Not sure I have ever seen that happen before. So are you saying that it
              > works fine with Outpost Interactive Telnet? But not when you try to use
              > Outpost direct?
              >
              > Ken KD6PGI
              > Hood River County ARES
              > AEC - Digital
              >
              > On 9/1/2010 7:46 PM, jim wrote:
              > >

              > > I am trying to set up Outpost to telnet into my BPQ node. I am doing
              > > this through the internet. I can use tools-interactive packet-telnet and
              > > connect. But when I log in my call sign in the BPQtelnet server window
              > > shows user "kc4bqk" and callsign as "kc4bq" also when I enter th rms
              > > port it shows my callsign on letter short in the RMS window. What have I
              > > missed? I have not been able to use the send/receive button and connect
              > > it stops at " Enter ? for node commads ***Connected to SWITCH"
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Jim
              > > KC4BQK

            • Kenneth Jacobs
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
                Jim,

                Go to the Outpost group in the files
                section.....http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OutpostPacket/files/

                There is an image there called OP-BBS-Setup-Telnet-BPQMail.jpg that
                shows exactly how the BBS Path must be setup to access BPQ with Outpost.
                You need to make sure to observe all upper-lower case and the space in
                between the "***" and the "Connected"....those are the most common errors.

                You also must make a couple changes in the TELNET setup.....you need to
                change the word Callsign to user and remove the space between user and
                the : and password and the :.....again use only lower case here.

                That should get you going....let me know if you have any other trouble.

                Ken KD6PGI
                Hood River County ARES
                AEC - Digital

                On 9/2/2010 2:43 AM, jim wrote:

                > Ken
                >
                > John helped me get the callsign part fixed, but yes I can connect with
                > interactive but not with Outpost. I must have something configured wrong.
                >
                > Jim
                > KC4BQK
                >
                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, Kenneth
                > Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Jim,
                > >
                > > Not sure I have ever seen that happen before. So are you saying that it
                > > works fine with Outpost Interactive Telnet? But not when you try to use
                > > Outpost direct?
                > >
                > > Ken KD6PGI
                > > Hood River County ARES
                > > AEC - Digital
                > >
                > > On 9/1/2010 7:46 PM, jim wrote:
                > > >

                > > > I am trying to set up Outpost to telnet into my BPQ node. I am doing
                > > > this through the internet. I can use tools-interactive
                > packet-telnet and
                > > > connect. But when I log in my call sign in the BPQtelnet server window
                > > > shows user "kc4bqk" and callsign as "kc4bq" also when I enter th rms
                > > > port it shows my callsign on letter short in the RMS window. What
                > have I
                > > > missed? I have not been able to use the send/receive button and connect
                > > > it stops at " Enter ? for node commads ***Connected to SWITCH"
                > > >
                > > > Thanks
                > > > Jim
                > > > KC4BQK

              • jim
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
                  Ken

                  Thanks, I would never have found the only error....the space in
                  between the "***" and the "Connected"..... so simple but so hard.

                • Kenneth Jacobs
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
                    Yep....one of the 2 most common errors. Amazing that one space can make
                    or break it...LOL

                    Glad you got it working....

                    Ken KD6PGI
                    Hood River County ARES