RE: [BPQ32] KISS, XKISS ?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2010
      The Kantronics XKISS uses the same enhancements as my BPQKISS. There are three changes over standard KISS:

        Checksum - gives protection against corruption on the serial line.

        Polled Mode - The TNC only sends to the PC when polled. This allows several TNC's to be multidropped on one serial port.

        ACKMode - with this, a special message is sent from the TNC to the PC when a frame has actually been transmitted. This is used to start the FRACK timer, giving better timing control - without it on a busy channel the FRACK timer can expire and a retry be queued before a frame has even left the TNC.

      When Kantronics first introduced XKISS is was in a sepcial version of the EPROMS, which are included in the distribution. I think newver products, and maybe newer versions of old ones, include XKISS in the standard firmware.

      The KISSOPTIONS parameter in BPQCFG specifies which extended options you want to use.