Re: [BPQ32] Time to think NVIS for these close in backup HF links?

  • WD8ARZ
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010
      Hello Jeff, interesting thinking you have going here. Have struggled with
      that concern at this HFN Ale Pilot station for some years.
      http://hflink.net/qso/

      What I ended up doing with a single HF antenna installation at my QTH, as in
      most things, is a compromise for NVIS and getting outside the country.
      Supporting the scanning of select frequencies on 10-80 meters and linking to
      stations locally (nvis less than say 300 miles or so) and the rest of the
      world was a challenge. Not to mention my high interest in 160 meters ... hi
      hi After about eight years of using an antenna installed low to support NVIS
      at this QTH, and comparing to a previous QTH using a similar antenna but
      installed higher, I have been pleasantly surprised.

      The antenna is a horizontal off center feed Windom antenna. The one used in
      Michigan was home brew 10-80 version using twin line feeder line and mounted
      between trees at about 45 feet. The Caroline Windom used here in Indiana is
      a 10-160 meter 260 feet long commercial version installed using coax with
      the center about 15 feet high in the center, and the ends sloping gradually
      up to the tree supports at about 25 feet up. The end result is that with the
      many lobes of such a long antenna, the 10mhz - 30mhz see lower angle that
      support the world depending on propagation, and the 40-160 (especially 80
      and 160) see decent NVIS performance.

      Have had stations ask me how I get regular digital mode contacts out of
      Europe, but put out the strong signal on the lower bands. This antenna was
      the answer .... but I do have to be careful of storms as I dont want front
      end damage!

      The antenna installed here now is from Radio Works:
      http://www.radioworks.com/ccw160.html though of course you can build your
      own.

      Plan other antennas after I get to the retirement QTH ... and not the one
      that already has such high elevation you cover the universe from the top
      side of the clouds .... HI Hi hi

      73 from Bill - WD8ARZ