BPQ acting up here again

  • Jerry - N9LYA
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010
    I keep getting the Mailchat errors just trying to initiate a forward... Not
    using CHAT.

    Any ideas.. Only fix is a daily reboot... Not an option... I tried using
    Qboot to reboot the PC every 24 hours.. But it has its issues..

    73 Jerry Kutche N9LYA

    ARRL Net Manager Indiana Section - Packet Net

    HF Skipnet Coordinator

    IP Coordinator Indiana

    Packet Coordinator Indiana

    http://www.n9lya.com <http://www.n9lya.com/>

    http://www.w9otr.org <http://www.w9otr.org/>

    http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org <http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org/>

    http://www.mitchellwx.com

    http://tinyurl.com/y7faewx
  • K.O. Higgs
    Message 2 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010
      I can't read your attachment..
      73,  K.O.

      --

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...

    • Jerry - N9LYA
      Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010

        Good… I would be worried if you could.. J  I cannot either… Its nothing I intentionally attached.. I have no clue what that is…

        Anyone .. ???

        73 jerry n9lya

        On 7/18/2010 12:11 PM, Jerry - N9LYA wrote:

        I keep getting the Mailchat errors just trying to initiate a forward... Not
        using CHAT.

        Any ideas.. Only fix is a daily reboot... Not an option... I tried using
        Qboot to reboot the PC every 24 hours.. But it has its issues..

        73 Jerry Kutche N9LYA

        ARRL Net Manager Indiana Section - Packet Net

        HF Skipnet Coordinator

        IP Coordinator Indiana

        Packet Coordinator Indiana

        http://www.n9lya. com <http://www.n9lya. com/>

        http://www.w9otr. org <http://www.w9otr. org/>

        http://www.indianap acketcouncil. org <http://www.indianap acketcouncil. org/>

        http://www.mitchell wx.com

        http://tinyurl. com/y7faewx

        --

        K.O. Higgs
        n0kfq@centurytel. net

      • Jeff - WA4ZKO
        Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010
          It's harmless side effect of older versions of Outlook sending that along with RTF and HTML emails.

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry - N9LYA" <n9lya@...> wrote:

          > Good. I would be worried if you could.. :-) I cannot either. Its nothing I
          > intentionally attached.. I have no clue what that is.
          >
          > Anyone .. ???
          >

          > 73 jerry n9lya
          >

          > _____

        • Jeff - WA4ZKO
          Message 5 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010
            Forwarding on a packet, WINMOR, Pactor port?

            Agree, if you have to reboot daily then I wouldn't want to depend on that system, grin.

            73
            Jeff
            WA4ZKO

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry - N9LYA" <n9lya@...> wrote:

            > I keep getting the Mailchat errors just trying to initiate a forward... Not
            > using CHAT.
            >
            > Any ideas.. Only fix is a daily reboot... Not an option... I tried using
            > Qboot to reboot the PC every 24 hours.. But it has its issues..
            >

            > 73 Jerry Kutche N9LYA
            >
            > ARRL Net Manager Indiana Section - Packet Net
            >
            > HF Skipnet Coordinator
            >
            > IP Coordinator Indiana
            >
            > Packet Coordinator Indiana
            >
            > http://www.n9lya.com <http://www.n9lya.com/>
            >
            > http://www.w9otr.org <http://www.w9otr.org/>
            >
            > http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org <http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org/>
            >
            > http://www.mitchellwx.com
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/y7faewx

          • Jerry - N9LYA
            Message 6 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010

              Jeff.. Seems to be Packet forwarding….  73 jerry

              href="http://www.n9lya.com/">http://www.n9lya.com/>

              href="http://www.w9otr.org/">http://www.w9otr.org/>

              > http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org
              <http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org/>

              > http://www.mitchellwx.com
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/y7faewx

            • Jerry - N9LYA
              Message 7 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010

                Hi Jeff… Thanks… Was curious .. 73 jerry

                href="http://www.n9lya.com">http://www.n9lya.com> com <http://www.n9lya.

                href="http://www.w9otr.org">http://www.w9otr.org> org <http://www.w9otr.

                href="http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org">http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org> acketcouncil.org

                href="http://www.mitchellwx.com">http://www.mitchellwx.com> wx.com

                href="http://tinyurl.com/y7faewx">http://tinyurl.com/y7faewx> com/y7faewx

                Message 8 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010

                  Jeff.. Also, The test from here was crap.. I could not forward Static from here.. bands and a flaw in BPQ32 MAILCHAT made it impossible..

                  Heck, I could not even send them via AXIP not that I would have wanted too..

                  73 Jerry N9LYA

                  Message 9 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010
                    NVIS anyone?

                    Besides evaluating other digital modes that can forward "automated" (Pactor and WINMOR come to mind) I think we need to start thinking NVIS for these in-state backup forwarding links?

                    Pros?

                    1. Better in-state/close in coverage.

                    2. Lower noise floor = better SNR

                    3. Lower QRM levels from distant stations...digital sub-band on 40m is a zoo anymore.

                    Interested yet?

                    Here's a well documented "middle of the day" 80m NVIS test that was done last winter in Connecticut. The results are very worthy of considering:

                    http://www.remarkable.com/NVISnet.html

                    Bare in mind a few things in these results:

                    1. Net control was using a shortened 80m dipole at 3/8 wavelength high. This gives it a good radiation pattern for NVIS, but still a lot of low angle pickup. So it would pick up a lot more noise than a similar antenna much lower to the ground. The really noisy stations probably would of been much better if the NCS antenna was mounted lower (lower noise floor, better SNR).

                    2. I don't think the ground conductivity in CT is nearly as good as what many of us have below us.

                    3. Have a funny feeling that the 80m hamstick dipoles were not tuned for resonance for their operating environment. Probably folks just using a tuner to feed an already extreme compromise antenna that wasn't even at resonance (poor efficiency clobbered even more). That said the results with them are interesting considering that setup probably has the radiation efficiency of a cheap dummy load ;-)

                    4. Note W1MCS's results with a simple longwire at only 8' up.

                    5. Also note K1RMS's simple setup and the resulting signal reports. Says a lot for a simple wire dipole lowered down into NVIS heights.

                    6. Many folks were using their day to day antennas, not antennas optimized for NVIS. On 80m these systems probably had some NVIS characteristics for sure, but far from optimized for NVIS.

                    Some more reading if interested:

                    http://www.athensarc.org/nvis.asp

                  • WD8ARZ
                    Message 10 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010
                      Hello Jeff, interesting thinking you have going here. Have struggled with
                      that concern at this HFN Ale Pilot station for some years.
                      http://hflink.net/qso/

                      What I ended up doing with a single HF antenna installation at my QTH, as in
                      most things, is a compromise for NVIS and getting outside the country.
                      Supporting the scanning of select frequencies on 10-80 meters and linking to
                      stations locally (nvis less than say 300 miles or so) and the rest of the
                      world was a challenge. Not to mention my high interest in 160 meters ... hi
                      hi After about eight years of using an antenna installed low to support NVIS
                      at this QTH, and comparing to a previous QTH using a similar antenna but
                      installed higher, I have been pleasantly surprised.

                      The antenna is a horizontal off center feed Windom antenna. The one used in
                      Michigan was home brew 10-80 version using twin line feeder line and mounted
                      between trees at about 45 feet. The Caroline Windom used here in Indiana is
                      a 10-160 meter 260 feet long commercial version installed using coax with
                      the center about 15 feet high in the center, and the ends sloping gradually
                      up to the tree supports at about 25 feet up. The end result is that with the
                      many lobes of such a long antenna, the 10mhz - 30mhz see lower angle that
                      support the world depending on propagation, and the 40-160 (especially 80
                      and 160) see decent NVIS performance.

                      Have had stations ask me how I get regular digital mode contacts out of
                      Europe, but put out the strong signal on the lower bands. This antenna was
                      the answer .... but I do have to be careful of storms as I dont want front
                      end damage!

                      The antenna installed here now is from Radio Works:
                      http://www.radioworks.com/ccw160.html though of course you can build your
                      own.

                      Plan other antennas after I get to the retirement QTH ... and not the one
                      that already has such high elevation you cover the universe from the top
                      side of the clouds .... HI Hi hi

                      73 from Bill - WD8ARZ