RE: [BPQ32] Wish list [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
    -----Original Message-----
    From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
    Jerry - N9LYA
    Sent: 04 July 2010 04:00
    To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [BPQ32] Wish list [1 Attachment]

    [Attachment(s) <> from Jerry - N9LYA included below]

    When I do a LM can we forget the SYSOP messages.. and only List those
    addressed to N9LYA???

    Thanks...

    73 Jerry Kutche N9LYA

    ARRL Net Manager Indiana Section - Packet Net

    HF Skipnet Coordinator

    IP Coordinator Indiana

    Packet Coordinator Indiana

    http://www.n9lya.com <http://www.n9lya.com/>

    http://www.w9otr.org <http://www.w9otr.org/>

    http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org <http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org/>

    http://www.mitchellwx.com

    http://tinyurl.com/y7faewx

    _____

    .

    Try free scan!
    Message 2 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
    What do others think of this idea?

    Also would you want RM to read only messages to the sysop call, not those to
    SYSOP?

    I suppose you can always do an L> SYSOP to see SYSOP messages.

    Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
      It is probably just me, John, but I like everything showing up as it current does. Generally speaking I am administering the board anyway. Most of the messages addressed to my call are the same type as those addressed to SYSOP. A whole bunch of "How do I do this?" or "Why does it do that?"

      Having to go after the SYSOP messages on their own seems like it would be a bigger pain but I will go with the group and what it wants to do...

      73

      Otto

      [Attachment(s) from John Wiseman included below]

      Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
      John here is my reasoning... Just so everyone appreciatyes it...

      When doing a LM I am wanting to do just that LIST mine....

      When I want to see Sysop messages I can do a L Sysop to see just those..

      Otherwise its like my email box... A bunch of span I do not want to see
      right now mixed in with all my Pmail..

      I get so many Sysop messages when I only check for Pmail about twice a
      week... I miss a lot of Pmail because It dumps about 100+ messages across
      the screen...

      Here is an other idea.. Maybe ONLY Sysop Messages left by someone or
      forwarded would show up as a SYSOP message...

      Maybe all the Generated SYStem Messages could have another name like
      (SYSTEM) in stead of SYSOP then it would not be a bunch of stuff flying past
      the screen to sift thru... And have them Listed my L System?

      Another idea...

      Anyway to port Pmail to my email.. that way I would get them often enough...

      Just looking for a way to make this work for me pleasantly..

      Another Idea... Make it a user selectable attribute.. Yes I am the SYSOP and
      I also am a User of my System.. I simplyhave no need to have Sysop and
      Messages addressed to N9LYA listed all at once.. :-)

      Thanks guys.. I hope you see what my frustration in the LM listing
      everything I do not want to see just then does to a person.

      Just ideas...

      73 Jerry

      _____

      Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
      Oh... As Otto Said What ever the group wants is fine.. of course... 73 jerry

      _____

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

      Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
      Jerry,

      You can easily download messages to a normal email client (eg Outlook), but
      at the moment it would pick up both your call and SYSOP.

      I'll look into the idea of sending system-generated messages to SYSTEM
      rather than SYSOP, and adding an option for LM lists just the user messages.

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

      Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
      What about this... If I downloaded the messages to an email client.. Would
      they remain on the BBS..?? As in I could spam filter the Sysop messages only
      on the Email Client and read them when I log into the BBS to look at Systop
      messages if downloading them leaves them on the BBS... :-) That would work
      for me...

      73 Jerry

      _____

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

      Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
      Unfortunately not - messages downloaded to an email client are deleted from
      the BBS.

      Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
      Hi John..

      No problem I just got it working with OE.. And that is fine.. It works fine
      for me this way... Yea the sysop messages are there too.. The layout in OE
      makes it easier to spot the Pmail for just me ... And I can come back and
      look at the SYSOP messages...

      It was before going in thru BPQTerminal, (putty or Hypertem,) when remote
      and it was tough to not overlook an important message..

      I will just remember to check my OE for my messages.. Instead of the BBS...
      until its decided to change anything there or not...

      Thanks Jerry

      73

      _____

      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4, 2010
        Hello all,
            You can leave messages on the bbs, you just need to configure your email client to don't deleted the email you download.

        73 de Pascal

        Message 11 of 22 , May 14 11:43 AM
          First and for most, keep up the good work.  So far BPQ32 exceeds any other options I could devise.

          Secure log in would be nice.  Though I noticed side benefit, I can now use CMS like a BBS again, aka use terminal to log in without using any specialty software.  But I digress.

          When using pop3 interface, the LAST command would be helpful.  Right now I use fetchmail to get mail into my regular email box.  Perhaps on Linux box support for maildir standard, which would make it so you would not need to support pop3, could use Dovecot or other linux pop3/imap server in conjunction with Postfix and other smtp servers.

          fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 server ready
          fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
          fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
          fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
          fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE 30
          fetchmail: POP3< .
          fetchmail: POP3> USER ae7vz
          fetchmail: POP3< +OK please send PASS command
          fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
          fetchmail: POP3< +OK Authenticated
          fetchmail: POP3> STAT
          fetchmail: POP3< +OK 6 885
          fetchmail: POP3> LAST
          fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Unrecognised Command
          fetchmail: Unrecognised Command
          fetchmail: POP3> UIDL
          fetchmail: POP3< +OK
          fetchmail: POP3< 1 3G8MNP9I2RK0
          fetchmail: POP3< 2 73_AE7VZ
          fetchmail: POP3< 3 74_AE7VZ
          fetchmail: POP3< 4 76_AE7VZ
          fetchmail: POP3< 5 77_AE7VZ
          fetchmail: POP3< 6 79_AE7VZ
          fetchmail: POP3< .
          6 messages (6 seen) for ae7vz at localhost (885 octets).
          fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
          fetchmail: POP3< +OK Finished

        • Don Poaps
          Message 12 of 22 , May 14 1:13 PM
            Kevin

            I use BPQ32 capability with ISP email to pull mail into BPQ,  unless you only want your own personal email to come in..

            Don va7dgp

            --
            Don Poaps
            New Westminster, BC

            Message 13 of 22 , May 14 2:06 PM
              I've added WINMOR Secure Login. It is in the current test builds and will be in the next release.

              I'm not sure about LIST. I've done a bit of research, and came across this message

              This is a prehistoric feature, and I think it's a bad idea to include it.

              (It was in RFC1460, removed in RFC1725 *eight* years ago, and the current
              POP3 spec is RFC1939)

              All mail clients should be able to use UIDL to detect new mail; LAST was
              removed because it's conceptually broken (i.e. it assumes that conceptually
              your mailbox consists of N read mails followed by M unread mails, which
              often is not the case in real life)
              The message was dated 2004, so it seems LAST was removed from the POP3 spec at least 18 years ago. BPQ doesn't record whether messages have been downloaded via POP3, and assumes the client will delete retrieved messages.  So I suppose I could respond to LAST with zero, which if I'm reading the spec correctly would imply that all messages are new.

              I'm not keen on having different functionality in the Window and Linux versions.

              73, John

              Message 14 of 22 , May 15 3:28 AM
                Hello, John.

                I'm use one small program to check several e-mail mailboxes,
                but not work with BPQMail. Follow is the log of that session.
                Would like to use it for BPQMail too...

                73, Sergej

                >+OK POP3 server ready
                <USER ut1hzm
                >+OK please send PASS command
                <PASS xxxxxxx
                >+OK Authenticated
                <STAT
                >+OK 4 432
                <LIST
                >+OK
                >1 372
                >2 20
                >3 20
                >4 20
                >.
                <STAT
                >+OK 4 432
                <LIST
                >+OK
                >1 372
                >2 20
                >3 20
                >4 20
                >.
                <LIST 1
                >+OK 1 372
                <TOP 1 0
                >-ERR Unrecognised Command
                <QUIT
                Message 15 of 22 , May 15 6:52 AM
                  Ok, Sergej,

                  I'll add TOP and a LAST command that always returns 0 to the next version.

                  I'm use one small program to check several e-mail mailboxes,
                  but not work with BPQMail. Follow is the log of that session.
                  Would like to use it for BPQMail too...

                  73, Sergej

                  >+OK POP3 server ready
                  <USER ut1hzm