Nodes not going into nodes list

  • WS7I
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1 1:05 PM
      I can see the broadcasts arrive but they don't show up in my nodes list.  Only mine seem to be there.  Was okay until I upgraded not long ago.

      Any ideas?

      Jay
    • Jeff - WA4ZKO
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1 1:57 PM
        Any changes to your port qualities?

        What quality do they arrive with? What is your port quality for the port they are coming in on?

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, WS7I <ws7ik7tj@...> wrote:

        > I can see the broadcasts arrive but they don't show up in my nodes list.
        > Only mine seem to be there. Was okay until I upgraded not long ago.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Jay

      • WS7I
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2 8:55 AM
          No changes to port qualities. They come in at 195, 190, and 190 RMS, BBS, CHT. This one is just to one station.  I have the AXIP set to quality 195.

          This is one of two nodes that I normally have and the other is off-line at the molment.

          73 Jay

          --
          Jay WS7I

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2 9:01 AM

            --
            Jay WS7I

          • Jeff - WA4ZKO
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2 9:13 AM
              There's some math that goes on against the arriving quality. I'll have to dig out my notes on it.

              Those arriving quality values you see in monitor will be lowered by the "math" and thus probably below your minqual of 168 (if you haven't changed that).

              It also seems that nodes that are local apps on an AXIP link neighbor are handled differently.

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO

              > Jay
              >

              > In the global section (before the ports section) the following should be
              > set:
              >
              > MINQUAL=168
              >

              > In the AXIP Port:
              >
              > QUALITY=192
              >
              > MINQUAL=168
              >

              > The QUALITY=195 is OK, but the MINQUAL=168 the important one.
              >

              > Mike Melnik-N9PMO
              > Web WWW.N9PMO.com
              > NNTP Server N9PMO.DYNDNS.ORG Port 119
              >
              > Scanned by Symantec Corporate A/V

            • Kenneth Jacobs
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2 9:43 AM
                Here is a great article on calculating the node quality from node to
                node....

                http://ohiopacket.org/index.php/Calculating_Net/Rom_route_quality

                Ken KD6PGI
                Hood River County ARES
                AEC - Digital

                On 7/2/2010 9:13 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO wrote:

                > There's some math that goes on against the arriving quality. I'll have
                > to dig out my notes on it.
                >
                > Those arriving quality values you see in monitor will be lowered by the
                > "math" and thus probably below your minqual of 168 (if you haven't
                > changed that).
                >
                > It also seems that nodes that are local apps on an AXIP link neighbor
                > are handled differently.
                >
                > 73
                > Jeff
                > WA4ZKO
                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike
                > Melnik" <mmelnik1@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Jay
                > >

                > > In the global section (before the ports section) the following should be
                > > set:
                > >
                > > MINQUAL=168
                > >

                > > In the AXIP Port:
                > >
                > > QUALITY=192
                > >
                > > MINQUAL=168
                > >

                > > The QUALITY=195 is OK, but the MINQUAL=168 the important one.
                > >

                > > Mike Melnik-N9PMO
                > > Web WWW.N9PMO.com
                > > NNTP Server N9PMO.DYNDNS.ORG Port 119
                > >
                > > Scanned by Symantec Corporate A/V

              • WS7I
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2 12:12 PM
                  Actually my Min value is 90.  I have tried lock routes.  I am receiving his node broadcasts but it looks like he isn't getting mine.  Just upgraded to the latest version and no change.

                  All kind of a puzzle it was working fine until I tried to install winmor back a week or so ago. Now its just not dealing with him.  My other guy will be back after the holiday so I will see if he's working with me.

                  Jay

                  --
                  Jay WS7I

                • WS7I
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2 12:17 PM
                    Thanks Ken for the link. This is a direct AXIP link that is always up and no hops so no worries there.  Was working and quit.  Messed up something no doubt somewhere.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com
                       BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Jay WS7I

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2 12:28 PM
                      Jay

                      With the MINQUAL=90 setting, you may have flooded your Nodes table because
                      Of the low value, I would set them back to 168 then compile the bpqcfg.txt
                      Clear the nodes, And rerun BPQ32

                      BPQ32 Console, Actions, Clear Nodes, RE-Read bpqcfg.Bin and Reconfigure
                      Node.

                      --
                      Jay WS7I
                    • Jim WU3V
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2 12:52 PM
                        Jay did you trash the bpqnodes.dat file?

                        Jim nh0e

                        --
                        Jay WS7I

                      • Jim WU3V
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 2 12:57 PM
                          Guys this is a mathematical equation, you can choose any portqual and any
                          minqual but the entire network has to follow suit.
                          For directly heard nodes and those that are known for good connectivity lock
                          those routes to a higher value by at least one octive.
                          If they do go down alternate routes can take over until their return.

                          Jim

                          > With the MINQUAL=90 setting, you may have flooded your Nodes table because
                          > Of the low value, I would set them back to 168 then compile the bpqcfg.txt
                          > Clear the nodes, And rerun BPQ32
                          >
                          > BPQ32 Console, Actions, Clear Nodes, RE-Read bpqcfg.Bin and Reconfigure
                          > Node.
                          >
                          > Mike Melnik-N9PMO
                          > Web WWW.N9PMO.com
                          > NNTP Server N9PMO.DYNDNS.ORG Port 119
                          > Scanned by Symantec Corporate A/V

                        • Ron Stordahl
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 2 7:47 PM
                            In the example configurations I have chosen:

                            QUALITY=192
                            MINQUAL=168

                            These are admittedly arbitrary.  With these values the result is that nodes that I hear directly, and their local services (for which APPLnQUAL=255) will show in my nodes list.  For the N5IN-14 node this results in what I feel is a large enough nodes list.

                            If these choices do not result in as many entries in your 'N' list as you wish, then the approach I would take would be to set MINQUAL=144 or perhaps even slightly lower.  You can determine this experimentally.

                            Because many nodes use quite different values, especially for QUALITY, and for locked routes, the results can be unexpected.  You can compensate for such other nodes choices for these parms by setting locked routes for such neighbor nodes, for which you can enhance or degrade their ranking in your 'N' list.

                            I have only one locked route, and that to another node on my LAN, N5IN-13, which I lock at 255.  I have no direct users on that node, all such users come thru N5IN-14.

                            I suggest using QUALITY=192 and MINQUAL=168 to start and adjust from there to get the result you want.

                            Ron, N5IN

                            > With the MINQUAL=90 setting, you may have flooded your Nodes table because
                            > Of the low value, I would set them back to 168 then compile the bpqcfg.txt
                            > Clear the nodes, And rerun BPQ32
                            >
                            > BPQ32 Console, Actions, Clear Nodes, RE-Read bpqcfg.Bin and Reconfigure
                            > Node.
                            >
                            > Mike Melnik-N9PMO
                            > Web WWW.N9PMO.com
                            > NNTP Server N9PMO.DYNDNS.ORG Port 119
                            > Scanned by Symantec Corporate A/V

                          • Ron Stordahl
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 2 7:54 PM
                              I should have added that my suggested starting point is applicable mainly to internet connections.  Back in the days when we have multiple remote radio nodes the route quality settings were more complex.  You had to consider signal strength and propagation in such a way as to see that you would force packets via reliable paths.  An added complication was day vs night signal strength.  It was a black art to get it just right.

                              Ron, N5IN