FYI - Microsoft ends all support for Windows 2000 next month.

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2010
      I know a lot of folks use the Windows 2000 operating system (OS) for ham stuff since it runs good minus the bloat that Redmond started piling on with XP and onward. This message is not to start a "my OS versus your OS" religious war, but just a heads up.

      Microsoft's extended support for Windows 2000 ends on July 13, 2010.

      Since Redmond did their best to ignore it ever since XP came out, this basically amounts to no more security patches for W2K. Since July 13th is another "patch Tuesday" I don't know for sure if today is the last "Patch Tuesday" for W2K or not.

      Does this mean you need to upgrade?

      In my opinion, and just my opinion (FWIW), it depends on how you're using it. If you are using a Windows 2000 PC for email, web surfing, and exposing built in services to the internet....you will likely be taking an ever increasing risk of getting compromised. If it's just a dedicated box on a trusted internal network with no internet exposure, then it may not matter much.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO