Re: BPQMailChat & Outpost

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
      Any hints from Jim on when the next version of Outpost will be out?

      Outpost looks like the way to go for a lot EMCOMM packet scenarios, especially if your users may not be that comfortable with packet.

      Sounds like you've had good luck with it Ken. You should consider writing up a "success story" about how packet, Outpost, and the BBS has came together to meet a real world need.

      I know some frown at the telnet approach, but I don't see a big deal IF you have a tested "Plan B" for lack of internet access. Also a non issue if you're running it on the internal LAN at the EOC or comm' trailer. Plus it's a great way to get folks involved/interested in packet that may not have a packet TNC/rig (YET) or are outside of your current RF coverage but need access.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO

    • kd6pgi@gorge.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
        Hi Jeff,

        Jim would have to answer the timing question.

        We have had great luck with Outpost and have gotten a
        number of people interested in packet because of its'
        simplicity. And yes, using Outpost over telnet is the
        same as folks training on Airmail without a TNC and
        using the internet to start out.

        That said, we use telnet for in house LAN or local
        BBS monitoring. All the BBS links are via AXIP, VHF
        to neighboring counties and HF Pactor out of the
        area. So, we have multiple path options for moving
        traffic.

        Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
        Hood River County ARES
        Assistant EC - Digital