RE: [BPQ32] Re: BPQMailChat & Outpost

  • kd6pgi@gorge.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
      No problem Jeff,

      We really like Outpost for its simplicity for our end
      users, its ability to utilize tactical calls for our
      public service locations, and its support of all the
      BPQMailChat RMS polling addressing features for
      sending and receiving Winlink traffic through the BPQ
      system.

      The addition of telnet helps at a couple of our
      locations where Outpost is on the same computer as
      the BPQMailChat BBS. It really is an incredible bit
      of software.

      Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
      Hood River County ARES
      Assistant EC - Digital

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
        Any hints from Jim on when the next version of Outpost will be out?

        Outpost looks like the way to go for a lot EMCOMM packet scenarios, especially if your users may not be that comfortable with packet.

        Sounds like you've had good luck with it Ken. You should consider writing up a "success story" about how packet, Outpost, and the BBS has came together to meet a real world need.

        I know some frown at the telnet approach, but I don't see a big deal IF you have a tested "Plan B" for lack of internet access. Also a non issue if you're running it on the internal LAN at the EOC or comm' trailer. Plus it's a great way to get folks involved/interested in packet that may not have a packet TNC/rig (YET) or are outside of your current RF coverage but need access.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO

      • kd6pgi@gorge.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
          Hi Jeff,

          Jim would have to answer the timing question.

          We have had great luck with Outpost and have gotten a
          number of people interested in packet because of its'
          simplicity. And yes, using Outpost over telnet is the
          same as folks training on Airmail without a TNC and
          using the internet to start out.

          That said, we use telnet for in house LAN or local
          BBS monitoring. All the BBS links are via AXIP, VHF
          to neighboring counties and HF Pactor out of the
          area. So, we have multiple path options for moving
          traffic.

          Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
          Hood River County ARES
          Assistant EC - Digital