Re: [BPQ32] BPQMailChat & Outpost

  • Kenneth Jacobs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4 7:39 AM
      Hi Jeff,

      The latest version 089 from the website does not handle BPQMail telnet,
      yet. Jim has fixed the telnet issue in a version I have been testing and
      it works great with telnet in this latest revision. I believe Jim is
      finishing some other fixes before the next version is released.

      Outpost works great with BPQMailChat over RF. We just used it on our
      most recent EmComm exercise. Other than a few operator issues...Outpost
      worked wonderfully.

      Ken KD6PGI
      Hood River County ARES
      AEC - Digital

      On 6/4/2010 6:00 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO wrote:

      > I assume the latest version of Outpost still has issues talking to a
      > BPQMailChat BBS via telnet?
      >
      > Does it work okay on RF?
      >
      > Tidbits of often vague or conflicting info here and there, but just
      > trying to nail down a definitive answer on this as I'm asked about it
      > from time to time.
      >
      > 73
      > Jeff
      > WA4ZKO

    • Jeff - WA4ZKO
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4 8:29 AM
        Thanks Ken, good info that will help with some choices we're looking into for my area.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO

      • kd6pgi@gorge.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4 11:05 AM
          No problem Jeff,

          We really like Outpost for its simplicity for our end
          users, its ability to utilize tactical calls for our
          public service locations, and its support of all the
          BPQMailChat RMS polling addressing features for
          sending and receiving Winlink traffic through the BPQ
          system.

          The addition of telnet helps at a couple of our
          locations where Outpost is on the same computer as
          the BPQMailChat BBS. It really is an incredible bit
          of software.

          Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
          Hood River County ARES
          Assistant EC - Digital

          <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jeff,

          > The latest version 089 from the website does not
          handle BPQMail telnet,

          > yet. Jim has fixed the telnet issue in a version I
          have been testing and

          > it works great with telnet in this latest revision.
          I believe Jim is

          > finishing some other fixes before the next version
          is released.

          > Outpost works great with BPQMailChat over RF. We
          just used it on our

          > most recent EmComm exercise. Other than a few
          operator issues...Outpost

          > worked wonderfully.

          > Ken KD6PGI

          > Hood River County ARES

          > AEC - Digital

          > On 6/4/2010 6:00 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO wrote:

          > > I assume the latest version of Outpost still has
          issues talking to a

          > > BPQMailChat BBS via telnet?

          > > Does it work okay on RF?

          > > Tidbits of often vague or conflicting info here
          and there, but just

          > > trying to nail down a definitive answer on this
          as I'm asked about it

          > > from time to time.

          > > 73

          > > Jeff

          > > WA4ZKO

        • Jeff - WA4ZKO
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4 12:07 PM
            Any hints from Jim on when the next version of Outpost will be out?

            Outpost looks like the way to go for a lot EMCOMM packet scenarios, especially if your users may not be that comfortable with packet.

            Sounds like you've had good luck with it Ken. You should consider writing up a "success story" about how packet, Outpost, and the BBS has came together to meet a real world need.

            I know some frown at the telnet approach, but I don't see a big deal IF you have a tested "Plan B" for lack of internet access. Also a non issue if you're running it on the internal LAN at the EOC or comm' trailer. Plus it's a great way to get folks involved/interested in packet that may not have a packet TNC/rig (YET) or are outside of your current RF coverage but need access.

            73
            Jeff
            WA4ZKO

          • kd6pgi@gorge.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4 1:26 PM
              Hi Jeff,

              Jim would have to answer the timing question.

              We have had great luck with Outpost and have gotten a
              number of people interested in packet because of its'
              simplicity. And yes, using Outpost over telnet is the
              same as folks training on Airmail without a TNC and
              using the internet to start out.

              That said, we use telnet for in house LAN or local
              BBS monitoring. All the BBS links are via AXIP, VHF
              to neighboring counties and HF Pactor out of the
              area. So, we have multiple path options for moving
              traffic.

              Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
              Hood River County ARES
              Assistant EC - Digital