Field Day 2010 & Packet

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2010
      IMHO Field Day is a great opportunity for us to demo packet and packet messaging. Just curious if any of the packet folks on here are considering this opportunity to expose the new (and not so new) hams to BBS and packet operations. Talk and presentations are great, but nothing beats letting fellow hams see and "touch" a functioning system.

      From a brief scan of the rules, it seems the ARRL (in all their usual wisdom) has removed the bonus points for demonstrating non-traditional modes. I could get on a pretty big soapbox regarding this, but I'll exercise some rare restraint ;-)

      Not all is lost though:

      Looks like packet to packet contacts are countable for a digital QSO as long as a digipeater is NOT used to make the connection. Heads up for the folks looking for Keyboard to Keyboard RF activity.

      Plus, you could originate your bonus point SM msg on packet. If you originate FD messages on packet, be sure to mention that you're using packet in the msg.

      Guys/gals...there's some good PR and fun opportunities here.

      Who's interested in some HF packet contacts during FD?

      Your thoughts? Who is interested?

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
    • Charles Brabham
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2010
        I'll be monitoring on and around 14.105 LSB.

        73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

        Prefer to use radio for your amateur radio communications? - Stop by at HamRadioNet.Org !

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
          Hi Jeff.. I am if I am home... I will know the day before and drop a message here... 73 jerry