BPQMailChat & Outpost

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
      I assume the latest version of Outpost still has issues talking to a BPQMailChat BBS via telnet?

      Does it work okay on RF?

      Tidbits of often vague or conflicting info here and there, but just trying to nail down a definitive answer on this as I'm asked about it from time to time.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
    • Kenneth Jacobs
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
        Hi Jeff,

        The latest version 089 from the website does not handle BPQMail telnet,
        yet. Jim has fixed the telnet issue in a version I have been testing and
        it works great with telnet in this latest revision. I believe Jim is
        finishing some other fixes before the next version is released.

        Outpost works great with BPQMailChat over RF. We just used it on our
        most recent EmComm exercise. Other than a few operator issues...Outpost
        worked wonderfully.

        Ken KD6PGI
        Hood River County ARES
        AEC - Digital

        On 6/4/2010 6:00 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO wrote:

        > I assume the latest version of Outpost still has issues talking to a
        > BPQMailChat BBS via telnet?
        >
        > Does it work okay on RF?
        >
        > Tidbits of often vague or conflicting info here and there, but just
        > trying to nail down a definitive answer on this as I'm asked about it
        > from time to time.
        >
        > 73
        > Jeff
        > WA4ZKO

      • Jeff - WA4ZKO
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
          Thanks Ken, good info that will help with some choices we're looking into for my area.

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO

        • kd6pgi@gorge.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
            No problem Jeff,

            We really like Outpost for its simplicity for our end
            users, its ability to utilize tactical calls for our
            public service locations, and its support of all the
            BPQMailChat RMS polling addressing features for
            sending and receiving Winlink traffic through the BPQ
            system.

            The addition of telnet helps at a couple of our
            locations where Outpost is on the same computer as
            the BPQMailChat BBS. It really is an incredible bit
            of software.

            Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
            Hood River County ARES
            Assistant EC - Digital

            <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jeff,

            > The latest version 089 from the website does not
            handle BPQMail telnet,

            > yet. Jim has fixed the telnet issue in a version I
            have been testing and

            > it works great with telnet in this latest revision.
            I believe Jim is

            > finishing some other fixes before the next version
            is released.

            > Outpost works great with BPQMailChat over RF. We
            just used it on our

            > most recent EmComm exercise. Other than a few
            operator issues...Outpost

            > worked wonderfully.

            > Ken KD6PGI

            > Hood River County ARES

            > AEC - Digital

            > On 6/4/2010 6:00 AM, Jeff - WA4ZKO wrote:

            > > I assume the latest version of Outpost still has
            issues talking to a

            > > BPQMailChat BBS via telnet?

            > > Does it work okay on RF?

            > > Tidbits of often vague or conflicting info here
            and there, but just

            > > trying to nail down a definitive answer on this
            as I'm asked about it

            > > from time to time.

            > > 73

            > > Jeff

            > > WA4ZKO

          • Jeff - WA4ZKO
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
              Any hints from Jim on when the next version of Outpost will be out?

              Outpost looks like the way to go for a lot EMCOMM packet scenarios, especially if your users may not be that comfortable with packet.

              Sounds like you've had good luck with it Ken. You should consider writing up a "success story" about how packet, Outpost, and the BBS has came together to meet a real world need.

              I know some frown at the telnet approach, but I don't see a big deal IF you have a tested "Plan B" for lack of internet access. Also a non issue if you're running it on the internal LAN at the EOC or comm' trailer. Plus it's a great way to get folks involved/interested in packet that may not have a packet TNC/rig (YET) or are outside of your current RF coverage but need access.

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO

            • kd6pgi@gorge.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
                Hi Jeff,

                Jim would have to answer the timing question.

                We have had great luck with Outpost and have gotten a
                number of people interested in packet because of its'
                simplicity. And yes, using Outpost over telnet is the
                same as folks training on Airmail without a TNC and
                using the internet to start out.

                That said, we use telnet for in house LAN or local
                BBS monitoring. All the BBS links are via AXIP, VHF
                to neighboring counties and HF Pactor out of the
                area. So, we have multiple path options for moving
                traffic.

                Ken Jacobs KD6PGI
                Hood River County ARES
                Assistant EC - Digital