RMS Broadcasts

  • Howard Z
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2010
      hi,

      I find that RMS Packet can not beacon on BPQ's Pactor nor WINMOR.
      RMS Packet displays that it is Beaconing on the ports, but I see no PTT on the radio.

      Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how it is supposed to work.

      Howard
    • Jeff - WA4ZKO
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010
        I could be wrong (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if so), but neither the Pactor or WinMOR protocols support sending UI frames. As such the BPQ switch is smart enough not to send them on a non-packet port. Nodes broadcasts would also fall into this category.

        You may see them on monitor, but they will go nowhere. Both the Pactor and WinMOR TNC components were designed much more towards "connected" mode links used for transfers versus the flexibility of packet links that many of us are used to.

        G8BPQ and others can probably elaborate/correct me if wrong.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Z" <Howard_Z@...> wrote:

        > hi,
        >
        > I find that RMS Packet can not beacon on BPQ's Pactor nor WINMOR.
        > RMS Packet displays that it is Beaconing on the ports, but I see no PTT on the radio.
        >
        > Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how it is supposed to work.
        >
        > Howard

      • Jim WU3V
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010
          Pactor does not do UI broadcasts it is a connected protocole only.
          There is a fec (forward error correction mode) mode in P1 but it is hardly
          used anymore it is not error free but was typically used for communications
          to multiple recipiants at one time.

          Jim
          >I could be wrong (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if so), but neither the
          >Pactor or WinMOR protocols support sending UI frames. As such the BPQ
          >switch is smart enough not to send them on a non-packet port. Nodes
          >broadcasts would also fall into this category.
          >
          > You may see them on monitor, but they will go nowhere. Both the Pactor and
          > WinMOR TNC components were designed much more towards "connected" mode
          > links used for transfers versus the flexibility of packet links that many
          > of us are used to.
          >
          > G8BPQ and others can probably elaborate/correct me if wrong.
          >

          > 73
          > Jeff
          > WA4ZKO
          >

          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Z" <Howard_Z@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> hi,
          >>
          >> I find that RMS Packet can not beacon on BPQ's Pactor nor WINMOR.
          >> RMS Packet displays that it is Beaconing on the ports, but I see no PTT
          >> on the radio.
          >>
          >> Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how it is supposed to work.
          >>
          >> Howard

        • Rick Muething
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010

            Jeff,

            Both Pactor and WINMOR can send unproto (non ARQ) frames.  These still use the built in FEC of these modes but of course cannot insure error free reception without an ARQ channel.

            Although RMS Express does not currently use unproto frames I believe BPQ 32 will support it for both Pactor and WINMOR.

            Rick KN6KB

            I could be wrong (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if so), but neither the Pactor or WinMOR protocols support sending UI frames. As such the BPQ switch is smart enough not to send them on a non-packet port. Nodes broadcasts would also fall into this category.

            You may see them on monitor, but they will go nowhere. Both the Pactor and WinMOR TNC components were designed much more towards "connected" mode links used for transfers versus the flexibility of packet links that many of us are used to.

            G8BPQ and others can probably elaborate/correct me if wrong.

            73
            Jeff
            WA4ZKO

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Z" <Howard_Z@...> wrote:

            > hi,
            >
            > I find that RMS Packet can not beacon on BPQ's Pactor nor WINMOR.
            > RMS Packet displays that it is Beaconing on the ports, but I see no PTT on
            the radio.

            > Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how it is supposed to work.
            >
            > Howard

          • Rick Muething
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010

              Jim,

              P2 and P3 can also do FEC unproto as well as WINMOR. No unproto (or FEC) mode can be guaranteed error free (there is no back channel).

              Rick KN6KB

              >I could be wrong (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if so), but neither the
              >Pactor or WinMOR protocols support sending UI frames. As such the BPQ
              >switch is smart enough not to send them on a non-packet port. Nodes
              >broadcasts would also fall into this category.
              >
              > You may see them on monitor, but they will go nowhere. Both the Pactor and
              > WinMOR TNC components were designed much more towards "connected" mode
              > links used for transfers versus the flexibility of packet links that many
              > of us are used to.
              >
              > G8BPQ and others can probably elaborate/correct me if wrong.
              >

              > 73
              > Jeff
              > WA4ZKO
              >

              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Z" <Howard_Z@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> hi,
              >>
              >> I find that RMS Packet can not beacon on BPQ's Pactor nor WINMOR.
              >> RMS Packet displays that it is Beaconing on the ports, but I see no PTT
              >> on the radio.
              >>
              >> Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how it is supposed to work.
              >>
              >> Howard

            • Jeff - WA4ZKO
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010
                Would a typical pactor/winmor station see and display these "UI" frames while idle (running, but not connected) without any user intervention (being placed into a certain mode)?

                Guess what I'm getting at, is even if the "beacons" are sent, would the standard client software with default idle settings display them or ignore them?

                I also think since BPQ32 has to "attach" to the radio port for the pacotr/winmor ports....probably be foolish to do beacons and UI that way since it would keep the port listed as busy???? Plus would we want that much "node chatter/beacons" from lots of stations on freq congesting the HF spectrum?

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

                > Jeff,
                >

                > Both Pactor and WINMOR can send unproto (non ARQ) frames. These still use
                > the built in FEC of these modes but of course cannot insure error free
                > reception without an ARQ channel.
                >

                > Although RMS Express does not currently use unproto frames I believe BPQ 32
                > will support it for both Pactor and WINMOR.
                >

                > Rick KN6KB
                >

                > _____

              • Howard Z
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010
                  Jeff,

                  You have a good point.
                  I tried the BEACONs only because I have nobody to test with - who will try to connect to my RMS with RMSExpress.

                  If the Beacons transmitted, then I would at least know that the RMS to BPQ to radio XMT works.

                  Since the beacon did not transmit, it is possible that either BPQ does not support it, or that I do not have BPQ setup properly. I have always found BPQ a bit complicated to setup.

                  So, this is the question: Are beacons NOT supposed to get transmitted via BPQ WINMOR & Pactor? Or do I have a setup problem.

                  Anyways, I agree that there is little/no need for beacons via Winmor or Pactor. Beacons are a packet tradition for BBS systems on VHF.

                  Howard

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010
                    Howard,

                    Beacons (in the normal ax.25 sense) are not sent on BPQ32 WINMOR or Pactor ports.

                    WINMOR can be made to send ID frames, either by clicking the Send ID button on the WINMOR TNC, or by attaching the port, and issuing the SENDID command.

                    You can also test your BPQ32-WINMOR setup by using the FEC mode.See Paragraph 3 of http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/Using%20WINMOR.htm. You can at least verify that the transmitter is being keyed.

                    I tried the BEACONs only because I have nobody to test with - who will try to connect to my RMS with RMSExpress.

                    If the Beacons transmitted, then I would at least know that the RMS to BPQ to radio XMT works.

                    Since the beacon did not transmit, it is possible that either BPQ does not support it, or that I do not have BPQ setup properly. I have always found BPQ a bit complicated to setup.

                    So, this is the question: Are beacons NOT supposed to get transmitted via BPQ WINMOR & Pactor? Or do I have a setup problem.

                    Anyways, I agree that there is little/no need for beacons via Winmor or Pactor. Beacons are a packet tradition for BBS systems on VHF.

                    Howard

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                    > Would a typical pactor/winmor station see and display these "UI" frames while idle (running, but not connected) without any user intervention (being placed into a certain mode)?
                    >
                    > Guess what I'm getting at, is even if the "beacons" are sent, would the standard client software with default idle settings display them or ignore them?
                    >
                    > I also think since BPQ32 has to "attach" to the radio port for the pacotr/winmor ports....probably be foolish to do beacons and UI that way since it would keep the port listed as busy???? Plus would we want that much "node chatter/beacons" from lots of stations on freq congesting the HF spectrum?
                    >
                    > 73
                    > Jeff
                    > WA4ZKO
                    >

                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Jeff,
                    > >

                    > > Both Pactor and WINMOR can send unproto (non ARQ) frames. These still use
                    > > the built in FEC of these modes but of course cannot insure error free
                    > > reception without an ARQ channel.
                    > >

                    > > Although RMS Express does not currently use unproto frames I believe BPQ 32
                    > > will support it for both Pactor and WINMOR.
                    > >

                    > > Rick KN6KB
                    > >

                    > > _____

                  • Rick Muething
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010

                      Yes I agree with John ….beaconing on HF (Pactor or WINMOR)  has generally been discouraged to reduce QRM.  It would probably be more acceptable if it could be conditioned on a “clear channel” condition based on some reasonably good busy detector.  The one in the SCS PTC II is not particularly sensitive to non pactor signals.  The WINMOR TNC busy detector is probably better in that regard.

                      Rick KN6KB

                      Beacons (in the normal ax.25 sense) are not sent on BPQ32 WINMOR or Pactor ports.

                      WINMOR can be made to send ID frames, either by clicking the Send ID button on the WINMOR TNC, or by attaching the port, and issuing the SENDID command.

                      You can also test your BPQ32-WINMOR setup by using the FEC mode.See Paragraph 3 of http://www.cantab. net/users/ john.wiseman/ Documents/ Using%20WINMOR. htm. You can at least verify that the transmitter is being keyed.

                      I tried the BEACONs only because I have nobody to test with - who will try to connect to my RMS with RMSExpress.

                      If the Beacons transmitted, then I would at least know that the RMS to BPQ to radio XMT works.

                      Since the beacon did not transmit, it is possible that either BPQ does not support it, or that I do not have BPQ setup properly. I have always found BPQ a bit complicated to setup.

                      So, this is the question: Are beacons NOT supposed to get transmitted via BPQ WINMOR & Pactor? Or do I have a setup problem.

                      Anyways, I agree that there is little/no need for beacons via Winmor or Pactor. Beacons are a packet tradition for BBS systems on VHF.

                      Howard

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                      > Would a typical pactor/winmor station see and display these "UI" frames while idle (running, but not connected) without any user intervention (being placed into a certain mode)?
                      >
                      > Guess what I'm getting at, is even if the "beacons" are sent, would the standard client software with default idle settings display them or ignore them?
                      >
                      > I also think since BPQ32 has to "attach" to the radio port for the pacotr/winmor ports....probably be foolish to do beacons and UI that way since it would keep the port listed as busy???? Plus would we want that much "node chatter/beacons" from lots of stations on freq congesting the HF spectrum?
                      >
                      > 73
                      > Jeff
                      > WA4ZKO
                      >

                      > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Jeff,
                      > >

                      > > Both Pactor and WINMOR can send unproto (non ARQ) frames. These still use
                      > > the built in FEC of these modes but of course cannot insure error free
                      > > reception without an ARQ channel.
                      > >

                      > > Although RMS Express does not currently use unproto frames I believe BPQ 32
                      > > will support it for both Pactor and WINMOR.
                      > >

                      > > Rick KN6KB
                      > >

                      > > _____

                    • Jerry - N9LYA
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2010

                        Hi Jeff… That is how I see it and how I would expect it… So it looks normal to me…

                        Jerry