Wish list

  • Jerry - N9LYA
    Message 1 of 22 , May 30, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 13 KB
    If not already somewhere Obvious and I missed it...

    I would like to see a runtime in the BPQ CONSOLE

    Even just an Up since date and time would be cool..

    73 Jerry Kutche N9LYA

    ARRL Net Manager Indiana Section - Packet Net

    HF Skipnet Coordinator

    IP Coordinator Indiana

    Packet Coordinator Indiana

    http://www.n9lya.com <http://www.n9lya.com/>

    http://www.w9otr.org <http://www.w9otr.org/>

    http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org <http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org/>

    http://www.mitchellwx.com

    http://tinyurl.com/y7faewx
  • Mark

      Message 3 of 22 , May 30, 2010

        Hi Mark…

        Where can I find that… I must have missed that class.. lol Thanks

        Jerry

        Message 4 of 22 , May 30, 2010
          Type 'st' from the console or any connection to the switch.

          - Mark K2CAN

          Message 5 of 22 , May 30, 2010

            Hi Mark…

            Thanks Mark that works slick… 73 jerry

            Message 6 of 22 , May 30, 2010
              Your welcome Jerry.
              The 'stats' are pretty useful diagnostics.
              Especially for an RF port.

              - Mark K2CAN

              On 5/30/2010 12:51 PM, Jerry - N9LYA wrote:

              > Hi Mark…
              >
              > Thanks Mark that works slick… 73 jerry

            • Jerry - N9LYA
              Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3 8:00 PM
              • 1 Attachment
              • 14 KB
              When I do a LM can we forget the SYSOP messages.. and only List those
              addressed to N9LYA???

              Thanks...

              Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4 2:30 AM
              • 1 Attachment
              • 12 KB
              [Attachment(s) <> from Jerry - N9LYA included below]

              When I do a LM can we forget the SYSOP messages.. and only List those
              addressed to N9LYA???

              Thanks...

              73 Jerry Kutche N9LYA

              ARRL Net Manager Indiana Section - Packet Net

              HF Skipnet Coordinator

              IP Coordinator Indiana

              Packet Coordinator Indiana

              http://www.n9lya.com <http://www.n9lya.com/>

              http://www.w9otr.org <http://www.w9otr.org/>

              http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org <http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org/>

              http://www.mitchellwx.com

              http://tinyurl.com/y7faewx

              _____

              .

              Try free scan!
              Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4 2:33 AM
              • 1 Attachment
              • 4 KB
              What do others think of this idea?

              Also would you want RM to read only messages to the sysop call, not those to
              SYSOP?

              I suppose you can always do an L> SYSOP to see SYSOP messages.

              Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4 6:30 AM
                It is probably just me, John, but I like everything showing up as it current does. Generally speaking I am administering the board anyway. Most of the messages addressed to my call are the same type as those addressed to SYSOP. A whole bunch of "How do I do this?" or "Why does it do that?"

                Having to go after the SYSOP messages on their own seems like it would be a bigger pain but I will go with the group and what it wants to do...

                73

                Otto

                [Attachment(s) from John Wiseman included below]

                Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4 6:56 AM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 20 KB
                John here is my reasoning... Just so everyone appreciatyes it...

                When doing a LM I am wanting to do just that LIST mine....

                When I want to see Sysop messages I can do a L Sysop to see just those..

                Otherwise its like my email box... A bunch of span I do not want to see
                right now mixed in with all my Pmail..

                I get so many Sysop messages when I only check for Pmail about twice a
                week... I miss a lot of Pmail because It dumps about 100+ messages across
                the screen...

                Here is an other idea.. Maybe ONLY Sysop Messages left by someone or
                forwarded would show up as a SYSOP message...

                Maybe all the Generated SYStem Messages could have another name like
                (SYSTEM) in stead of SYSOP then it would not be a bunch of stuff flying past
                the screen to sift thru... And have them Listed my L System?

                Another idea...

                Anyway to port Pmail to my email.. that way I would get them often enough...

                Just looking for a way to make this work for me pleasantly..

                Another Idea... Make it a user selectable attribute.. Yes I am the SYSOP and
                I also am a User of my System.. I simplyhave no need to have Sysop and
                Messages addressed to N9LYA listed all at once.. :-)

                Thanks guys.. I hope you see what my frustration in the LM listing
                everything I do not want to see just then does to a person.

                Just ideas...

                73 Jerry

                _____

                Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4 7:03 AM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 14 KB
                Oh... As Otto Said What ever the group wants is fine.. of course... 73 jerry

                _____

                From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 13 of 22 , Jul 4 7:09 AM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 12 KB
                Jerry,

                You can easily download messages to a normal email client (eg Outlook), but
                at the moment it would pick up both your call and SYSOP.

                I'll look into the idea of sending system-generated messages to SYSTEM
                rather than SYSOP, and adding an option for LM lists just the user messages.

                From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 14 of 22 , Jul 4 7:15 AM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 20 KB
                What about this... If I downloaded the messages to an email client.. Would
                they remain on the BBS..?? As in I could spam filter the Sysop messages only
                on the Email Client and read them when I log into the BBS to look at Systop
                messages if downloading them leaves them on the BBS... :-) That would work
                for me...

                73 Jerry

                _____

                From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

                From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 4 8:27 AM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 4 KB
                Unfortunately not - messages downloaded to an email client are deleted from
                the BBS.

                Message 16 of 22 , Jul 4 8:39 AM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 19 KB
                Hi John..

                No problem I just got it working with OE.. And that is fine.. It works fine
                for me this way... Yea the sysop messages are there too.. The layout in OE
                makes it easier to spot the Pmail for just me ... And I can come back and
                look at the SYSOP messages...

                It was before going in thru BPQTerminal, (putty or Hypertem,) when remote
                and it was tough to not overlook an important message..

                I will just remember to check my OE for my messages.. Instead of the BBS...
                until its decided to change anything there or not...

                Thanks Jerry

                73

                _____

                Message 17 of 22 , Jul 4 12:03 PM
                  Hello all,
                      You can leave messages on the bbs, you just need to configure your email client to don't deleted the email you download.

                  73 de Pascal

                  Message 18 of 22 , May 14
                    First and for most, keep up the good work.  So far BPQ32 exceeds any other options I could devise.

                    Secure log in would be nice.  Though I noticed side benefit, I can now use CMS like a BBS again, aka use terminal to log in without using any specialty software.  But I digress.

                    When using pop3 interface, the LAST command would be helpful.  Right now I use fetchmail to get mail into my regular email box.  Perhaps on Linux box support for maildir standard, which would make it so you would not need to support pop3, could use Dovecot or other linux pop3/imap server in conjunction with Postfix and other smtp servers.

                    fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 server ready
                    fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
                    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
                    fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
                    fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE 30
                    fetchmail: POP3< .
                    fetchmail: POP3> USER ae7vz
                    fetchmail: POP3< +OK please send PASS command
                    fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
                    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Authenticated
                    fetchmail: POP3> STAT
                    fetchmail: POP3< +OK 6 885
                    fetchmail: POP3> LAST
                    fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Unrecognised Command
                    fetchmail: Unrecognised Command
                    fetchmail: POP3> UIDL
                    fetchmail: POP3< +OK
                    fetchmail: POP3< 1 3G8MNP9I2RK0
                    fetchmail: POP3< 2 73_AE7VZ
                    fetchmail: POP3< 3 74_AE7VZ
                    fetchmail: POP3< 4 76_AE7VZ
                    fetchmail: POP3< 5 77_AE7VZ
                    fetchmail: POP3< 6 79_AE7VZ
                    fetchmail: POP3< .
                    6 messages (6 seen) for ae7vz at localhost (885 octets).
                    fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
                    fetchmail: POP3< +OK Finished

                  • Don Poaps
                    Message 19 of 22 , May 14
                      Kevin

                      I use BPQ32 capability with ISP email to pull mail into BPQ,  unless you only want your own personal email to come in..

                      Don va7dgp

                      --
                      Don Poaps
                      New Westminster, BC

                      Message 20 of 22 , May 14
                        I've added WINMOR Secure Login. It is in the current test builds and will be in the next release.

                        I'm not sure about LIST. I've done a bit of research, and came across this message

                        This is a prehistoric feature, and I think it's a bad idea to include it.

                        (It was in RFC1460, removed in RFC1725 *eight* years ago, and the current
                        POP3 spec is RFC1939)

                        All mail clients should be able to use UIDL to detect new mail; LAST was
                        removed because it's conceptually broken (i.e. it assumes that conceptually
                        your mailbox consists of N read mails followed by M unread mails, which
                        often is not the case in real life)
                        The message was dated 2004, so it seems LAST was removed from the POP3 spec at least 18 years ago. BPQ doesn't record whether messages have been downloaded via POP3, and assumes the client will delete retrieved messages.  So I suppose I could respond to LAST with zero, which if I'm reading the spec correctly would imply that all messages are new.

                        I'm not keen on having different functionality in the Window and Linux versions.

                        73, John

                        Message 21 of 22 , May 15
                          Hello, John.

                          I'm use one small program to check several e-mail mailboxes,
                          but not work with BPQMail. Follow is the log of that session.
                          Would like to use it for BPQMail too...

                          73, Sergej

                          >+OK POP3 server ready
                          <USER ut1hzm
                          >+OK please send PASS command
                          <PASS xxxxxxx
                          >+OK Authenticated
                          <STAT
                          >+OK 4 432
                          <LIST
                          >+OK
                          >1 372
                          >2 20
                          >3 20
                          >4 20
                          >.
                          <STAT
                          >+OK 4 432
                          <LIST
                          >+OK
                          >1 372
                          >2 20
                          >3 20
                          >4 20
                          >.
                          <LIST 1
                          >+OK 1 372
                          <TOP 1 0
                          >-ERR Unrecognised Command
                          <QUIT
                          Message 22 of 22 , May 15
                            Ok, Sergej,

                            I'll add TOP and a LAST command that always returns 0 to the next version.

                            I'm use one small program to check several e-mail mailboxes,
                            but not work with BPQMail. Follow is the log of that session.
                            Would like to use it for BPQMail too...

                            73, Sergej

                            >+OK POP3 server ready
                            <USER ut1hzm