Indiana Statewide TEST July 17th 2010

  • Jerome K
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2010
      Special Attention… Anyone from anywhwree can send a message to w9sem@k9ctb.#cin.in.usa.noam via Packet BBS forwarding.

      So please send one on July 17th 2010

      Thanks… 73 Jerry N9LYA

      Indiana EMA Directors and RACES Team Members,
      Please find attached the details of the Statewide RACES Test scheduled for July 17. As promised, I am getting the information to you much earlier that I did for the January test.
      I apologize for the length of the document, but I have included considerably more detail in this announcement than before in order to encourage increased participation in modes other than HF SSB voice. I have also made some changes to the test process in order to more accurately measure our capabilities under the kinds of conditions we might reasonably expect after a major disaster, such as an earthquake.
      Of particular interest to IDHS is packet radio communications due to its ability to provide communication that is:
      · Not dependant upon the Internet
      · Error checking
      · Permits unattended operation
      · Text based
      · Utilizes "store and forward" technology
      · Accessible by local Hams
      Please encourage your teams to develop this capability.
      In addition, while access to WebEOC is strictly a local decision, EMA Directors should know that IDHS Response welcomes participation on WebEOC by RACES Volunteers. Of particular interest along these lines, would be reports of sever weather gleaned from local severe weather nets. All six National Weather Service partners serving Indiana now have access to WebEOC. While the Indy NWS Office has a robust system of reporting by Hams trained in weather spotting directly to the NWS, to my knowledge the remaining NWS Offices do not. In the next few weeks, I will be sending more details concerning the recommended process.
      I want to sincerely thank the many EMA Directors who have gone beyond the call of duty to recruit RACES Volunteers and work with the Ham community.
      Best regards,
      Don West
      Communications Director
      Emergency Response Division