Changed to 2 Port config

  • Tony Hunt
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2005
      About 2 days ago now I changed to a 2 Port config here on APRS. A USB TNC on
      2m and PK232 on 30m ..

      Seems to be working well with AGWtoBPQ .. I have Ui-view and Digi_ned
      running with the Digi_ned set up as the HF gateway..

      Ive noticed that changing the Tick options on BPQmon32 and removing say Port
      1 from being monitored does exactly the same thing under the new
      BPQTerminal.exe .. I am not sure if this is intentional or not.. I am not
      sure its a bad thing either for that matter but its an observation..

      Tony VK5AH
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2005
        Tony

        BPQMon32.exe is in the beta set, but it will likely be eliminated from
        the release package. This is because 1) It's function has been included
        in BPQTerminal.exe and 2) It has been associated with crashes of BPQ32.
        As to the crashes when using BPQMon32, this has always been a puzzling
        issue. It's quite low incidence, and always seems to be associated with
        use with AR-Cluster, but this could just be because it's being exercised
        quite a bit when in that environment. Many AR-Cluster sysops have seen
        this problem, and so we avoid running BPQMon32 except for very brief
        periods.

        In any case John has never been able to reproduce the problem, and so no
        solution has ever been found. On the other hand I can run BPQTerminal
        24/7, which includes the monitoring function of BPQMon32, without any
        difficulty (and with AR-Cluster 'in the loop' to keep it very busy).
        BPQMon32 was only provided in the beta in the event problems were
        discovered with BPQTerminal, but there don't appear to be any such problems.

        The entire BPQ32 beta suite appears solid here. I run it 24/7 with
        AR-Cluster, UIView32 and UIDX Bridge without problems. Of course the
        problems you experienced with Digi_ned never did show up in my
        environment, which is why having a number of good beta testers is so
        valuable.

        I would have liked to have had additional beta testers, but I realize
        that it's some work and many BPQ32 users will wait instead for the final
        release.

        It could be that the BPQ32 package can soon be released as final. Of
        course software is almost never 'final', something will come up, as well
        as additional enhancements which John has made reference to in his
        postings here.

        Ron Stordahl, N5IN

        Tony Hunt wrote:
        > About 2 days ago now I changed to a 2 Port config here on APRS. A USB
        > TNC on
        > 2m and PK232 on 30m ..
        >
        > Seems to be working well with AGWtoBPQ .. I have Ui-view and Digi_ned
        > running with the Digi_ned set up as the HF gateway..
        >
        > Ive noticed that changing the Tick options on BPQmon32 and removing
        > say Port
        > 1 from being monitored does exactly the same thing under the new
        > BPQTerminal.exe .. I am not sure if this is intentional or not.. I am not
        > sure its a bad thing either for that matter but its an observation..
        >
        > Tony VK5AH

        > Ham radio
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&c=4&s=78&.sig=QPMK_GeF4i_IHW7Em7bvjw>
        > John wiseman
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=John+wiseman&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&c=4&s=78&.sig=2x3GzAb5LpXH_-YTTYcTaw>
        > Craft hobby
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&c=4&s=78&.sig=eKRq34h9DIghO2FCTMpNUA>
        >
        > Hobby and craft supply
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&c=4&s=78&.sig=4YQ2jfYPNaEnQmRPUb518g>

      • Tony Hunt
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2005
          Hi Ron .. Your comments regards BPQMon32 noted.. Ive had it running here for
          long periods and have had no problems but I dont run AR-Cluster software
          which would explain that..

          Now you said

          > BPQMon32.exe is in the beta set, but it will likely be eliminated from
          > the release package. This is because 1) It's function has been included
          > in BPQTerminal.exe and 2)

          Hang on a tick.. How do I monitor only specific ports using BPQTerminal as
          opposed to ALL ports?
          I cant find that function in either BPQTerminal or bpqterm .. Its nice to be
          able to run a couple of
          separate windows monitoring different ports.. Maybee a Tabbed version with
          different Ports on different
          TABs would be a the Go.. Its a thought anyway.. Ive seen other Apps that
          have a general Tab for All traffic
          and other Tabs for each port separatly.. Just a thought..

          Tony