RE: [BPQ32] file location error 4.09u

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
      Folks,

      Looks like another foul-up from G8BPQ!

      The code is not doing what I intended. A new version will be released soon.

      It's probably worth explaining the reason for the change. There has always
      been a problem with running AR-Cluster and other BPQ applications, as
      AR-Cluster writes the "Config File Location" registry value every time it
      starts, so you can't put the BPQ files anywhere else. The new "BPQ
      Directory" key, apart from being a better description (it points to things
      other than the config file) gets round this problem, and lets you put your
      BPQ32 files wherever you like. I had intended the change to be backward
      compatible, but unfortunately messed it up.

      While I'm here, I'll document another change. Almost from the beginnings of
      BPQ32 there has been a problem whereby if you ran two or more BPQ
      applications, you could stop and restart the second and subsequent ones in
      any order, but if you closed the first one, the system would hang. This has
      now been fixed.

      73,
      John, G8BPQ

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
        John,
        SetRegistryPath fixed it. I originally tried setting the path using
        RegBPQ32.
        Thanks for the info. I knew it had to be something simple I missed.
        We should probably put that in the install docs somewhere.
        - Mark

        John Wiseman wrote:
        > Mark,
        >
        > The "Using Config From" message is new. It is intended to make tracking down
        > config problems easier.
        >
        > I've modified the config file search. What it is supposed to do is look
        > first for the reg value "BPQ Directory". If that is not present it looks for
        > "Config File Location". If that is not set, it looks in the current
        > directory. This should be backward compatible with the old version, as
        > AR-Cluster sets
        > "Config File Location" to c:\program files\Ar-Cluster\BPQ32. If it fails to
        > find the files, it looks like something is not working as I intended. Could
        > you send me a dump of the registry tree "HKLM\Software\G8BPQ\BPQ32" so I can
        > investigate?
        >
        > There is a new program, SetRegistryPath in the release. If you run this from
        > the directory containing your config files, it should set up the new
        > registry entry.
        >
        > Regards,

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
          Mark

          With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
          SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
          it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
          this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
          interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
          production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
          although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
          can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all this!!!

          This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
          yourself who try something we miss!

          Ron Stordahl, N5IN

        • Mark Harloff
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
            Ron,
            I'm not sure the AGWtoBPQ interface would help me here since I only use
            a kiss port and an AXIP port to link the switch to a FlexDigi which
            handles all the RF side and an XRouter node which handles the internet
            side. If you think using the AGWto BPQ interface would be beneficial in
            my situation, I am all ears (or eyes in this case, hi).

            Now that the TelnetServer within BPQ32 has been made more versatile, I
            will be eliminating the XRouter setup and will use BPQ32 as a Node
            (instead of just application support as I have in the past). That will
            allow me to use just two computers instead of three to provide the same
            services. I'll probably be putting the lastest releases through a pretty
            wide range of tests so be prepared for lot's of feedback.

            I understand about the 'beta' releases and am more than happy to help
            out with testing and de-bugging whenever I can, my pleasure.

            - Mark K2CAN

            Ron Stordahl wrote:
            > Mark
            >
            > With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
            > SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
            > it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
            > this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
            > interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
            > production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
            > although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
            > can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all this!!!
            >
            > This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
            > yourself who try something we miss!
            >
            > Ron Stordahl, N5IN
          • Ron Stordahl
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
              With a program which offers the OCX interface, such as AR-Cluster, there
              is no reason not to use it. Because I simultaneously run UI-View32 and
              UI-DX Bridge, both of which use the AGWPE iterface (UI-DX Bridge
              requires it), I elected to use the AGWtoBPQ interface on all three of
              them. This also allowed me to extensively test the AGWtoBPQ interface,
              and as I said, I run it exclusively on my production system. However I
              would encourage you to use the OCX interface instead...from a testing
              standpoint this would be very helpful.

              One complication is as I recall AR-Cluster (when using the OCX
              interface) starts BPQ32, and BPQ32 is likely to go to end if you close
              AR-Cluster. It's possible that if you are also running AGWtoBPQ.exe
              this may not happen...I have not tried that. If you find out let us know.

              As I said it is possible to use both at once, i.e. AR-Cluster can
              interface with OCX, and by running AGWtoBPQ.exe in the same folder you
              can at the same time interface with that to other programs via tcp.

              The combinations seem endless, making testing a little difficult...

              Ron Stordahl, N5IN

              Mark Harloff wrote:
              > Ron,
              > I'm not sure the AGWtoBPQ interface would help me here since I only use
              > a kiss port and an AXIP port to link the switch to a FlexDigi which
              > handles all the RF side and an XRouter node which handles the internet
              > side. If you think using the AGWto BPQ interface would be beneficial in
              > my situation, I am all ears (or eyes in this case, hi).
              >
              > Now that the TelnetServer within BPQ32 has been made more versatile, I
              > will be eliminating the XRouter setup and will use BPQ32 as a Node
              > (instead of just application support as I have in the past). That will
              > allow me to use just two computers instead of three to provide the same
              > services. I'll probably be putting the lastest releases through a pretty
              > wide range of tests so be prepared for lot's of feedback.
              >
              > I understand about the 'beta' releases and am more than happy to help
              > out with testing and de-bugging whenever I can, my pleasure.
              >
              > - Mark K2CAN
              >

              > Ron Stordahl wrote:
              > > Mark
              > >
              > > With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
              > > SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
              > > it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
              > > this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
              > > interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
              > > production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
              > > although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
              > > can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all
              > this!!!
              > >
              > > This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
              > > yourself who try something we miss!
              > >
              > > Ron Stordahl, N5IN

            • Roger Cooke
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                Hi John.

                Glad to see you are returning to the scene again!
                I am looking to run two networked computers, one
                running FBB and the other running my Satgate, which
                needs to talk to FBB, and also the AR-Cluster node.
                This will have to be accessed over the network from
                FBB.

                I was wondering if BPQ32 will cater for this? I was
                going to try the old 4.08 but did not think it would
                be too successful with the Cluster as well on the
                Satgate machine.

                The RF feed for the Cluster node will be on the
                Satgate machine, with it's own 70Mhz radio.

                73 de Roger, G3LDI

                ---------------------------------

                Terms of Service.

                ---------------------------------

              • David Calder
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                      I'm up for hearing about this one! I have run FBB with BPQ for 16 years. I also have a DX node on the same
                      network. I would like the RF people to be able to connect to the BPQ node and select BBS or DX for the
                      cluster and take them there.

                      Right now I just have the node going to the FBB bbs. I'm still running 4.08A! The cluster is all telnet.

                      73 Dave

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                    Message
                    Hi Roger - nice to hear from you after all these years!

                    Ok Dave. There are lots of options. You can run 'old' DOS BPQ applications in 2K/XP systems using BPQ1632. See the files section for the software. Version 7.01 of WinFBB will interface directly to BPQ32. I'm about to release a replacement for TFWIN and TFWIN32/TF2AGW which will allow 16 or 32bit versions of WFBB to use BPQ32.  If you are still running AK1A cluster that will work fine using BPQ1632. Or you can upgrade to either free or commercial Windows Cluster programs such as DXNet or AR-Cluster. Any of these would allow the user to select either BBS or DX.

                    I don't know much about SatGate - how does that link to FBB?

                    Regards,

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                      Message
                      I run AR cluster. I'm running FBB under windows 98 with BPQ on a machine by itself. While I run the AR
                      cluster on a machine running Windows 2003 Server enterprise.

                      Dave